Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,260 times

Advertisements

Hello all.I have been offered a position upgrade in my company and it is you guessed it,Memphis TN. im 58 and wife is 50's looking to rent a 3 bedroom home with garage in the area. Any help with possible area to be in realtor to use etc. would help.Have seen the area maps and would guess we need to be in the green areas possibly germantown collierville. We would like to keep rent below $900 and I will be commuting to citation dr in the cities south side. I lived in El Paso TX. completing a carreer there and now under the new company looking to enjoy all that Memphis has also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 AM

845 posts, read 2,531,246 times
If you want to be close to the area where you will be working you may also want to also check out Olive Branch MS and Southaven MS. Renting for below $900.00 a month may be difficult in Germantown, but you should be able to find something nice in those areas. Both of those cities are suburbs of Memphis located across the state line in Mississippi. They are very safe, family friendly areas with pretty good schools (if that is a concern to you). The housing prices will be a little more affordable in the MS suburbs than they will be in Germantown and Collierville, but you will have to pay MS state income tax.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
BWM

60 posts, read 152,112 times
fyi... TN has no state income tax. MS does.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,260 times
Thanks for the tip there Tigertate.I do not want to pay state tax so MS is out for sure. Any ideas on good realtors would help to as I am bring wife next week to look around.And we have no idea what neighborhoods are good or bad. We found one home in the white haven cordo lake division. Is it good area ?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:03 AM

845 posts, read 2,531,246 times
Well, the Whitehaven/ Coro Lake area will get you different opinions from different people. The area is predominately black and for whatever reason some people view that as a negative. I personally think the Whitehaven area is fine. In my line of work I have to work in all areas of the city and every time I work in Whitehaven I leave wondering, "Why do people say bad things about this area". The area is full of mostly middle class black people who own and maintain their property and care about their community. The neighborhoods in the area were very nicely developed with rolling hills, large lots, quality built houses that have held up well over time, and beautiful mature trees. Crime in the area is way overblown. You will hear about crime in the Whitehaven area, but most of it is near the apartments in the area (as it is in most parts of Memphis). All of the single family areas I have seen in the area are safe and stable. I personally have family and friends who live in the 38109 and 38116 zip code and they have had no problems with crime. They both also got great deals on their homes (One lives in very large estate size homes near Holmes Rd and Horn Lake Rd. The other in a very nice estate size home near Graceland) since real estate in the Whitehaven area is very affordable. The Whitehaven area used to be a posh suburban area in the 60's and 70's, but middle class flight took its toll in the 80's and 90's. The area really went down during this time period, but now it is going through a revitalization with new residential and commercial development. Would I recommend the area to someone from out of town and not really comfortable living around black people, probably not, and I mean nothing racial by that. It would be a culture shock to someone from Boise Idaho to move to Whitehaven (lets be honest here, it is what it is), but if you do not have a problem with that you can probably get a really good deal on a house if you are looking to buy. Personally, I would check out the map of Memphis neighborhoods if you want to live in the actual City of Memphis. A poster did a great job creating a map that is color coded showing good and not so good neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis