U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 AM

38 posts, read 188,325 times

Advertisements

Guys, I am in great need of help and advice!

I have been in Memphis for 2.5 year now. The past 2 years, with a month before my tags expired, I would receive a renewal notice from the County Clerk's office. I was living in Cordova - Incorporated. I had to get the cars inspected, write the check and mail everything.

Since the beginning of February I have moved into a new house in unincorporated Cordova. I know from a friend that you do not need to get the cars inspected and that it is cheaper, but regardless, the County Clerk's office could not have known of my move nor find out in a few days. Anyway, my tags expire at the end of February (Sunday) and I have not received anything in the mail (which is being forwarded from my other address). I have no idea what to do, how much to pay or what the procedure is for Unincorporated Cordova.

To sum it up: I have no payment notice, have moved 3 weeks ago to an Unincorporated area, have 2 cars with tags that will expire in 5 days and do not know what to do.

Also, can I pay online? I found a link but Shelby County was not listed. Thank you so so much, I really want to be legal but I am not sure what to do and obviously the County Clerk's office did not mail me the papers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 AM

209 posts, read 754,154 times
This website may be able to help you:
Shelby County Portal (http://www.shelbycountytn.gov/FirstPortal/dotShowDoc/Government/ElectedOfficials/mvd.htm - broken link)
But if you can't find the information you need, I would just call the Shelby County Clerk's office to get a direct answer from them. Their number is (901)545-4244. They'll be able to tell you exactly what to do.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:57 PM

I have called both the 4241 and 4244 numbers. No one knows anything. They have no idea what I need to bring to prove that I have moved (they told me drivers license but ive just moved so I do not have a new one with the new address), they told me that I needed to pay the Memphis fee although I have moved outside of the city....I have not been so frustrated in a long time. Not to mention that they DID NOT SEND ME THE INVOICE like they do every year.

People are getting fired left and right...but not the right people. And their schedule is 8-4.15....I cannot leave work 3 times to go there. Unlike the people I have just talked to on the phone, I have a job that I need to do well. I can only go there once; does anyone know what I need to take with me? I am so so frustrated...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:56 PM

3,376 posts, read 12,604,053 times
I've taken an MLGW bill and some sort of insurance card - like proof of rental insurance, or a car insurance registered to that address. Maybe a lease? Since you just moved in, you may need to bite the bullet and just pay the extra $50 or so and keep it registered as a Memphis city.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 PM
bjh

42,932 posts, read 26,753,196 times
There is a county clerk registration office at Poplar and Exeter. Bring ID and proof of insurance.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:28 PM

738 posts, read 2,414,473 times
TWO forms of ID, or they'll send you back home. And two proofs of residence, like a MLGW bill, lease or mortgage statement.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM

279 posts, read 937,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
TWO forms of ID, or they'll send you back home. And two proofs of residence, like a MLGW bill, lease or mortgage statement.
Been there, done that. I think they try to find a reason not to help you.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 PM

2,234 posts, read 4,781,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
Been there, done that. I think they try to find a reason not to help you.
Ain't that the truth ^

I sat in the inspection line today for an hour 45 minutes. When I was watching the inspectors work, it looked like they were all moving in slow motion

Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 AM

Guys, thank you for all your advice. Given the fact that no one could help me over the phone, I have to go there today and hope I won't have to go back. I have a bunch of documents with me but I am sure they will need something else. We'll see. I am going to the 150 Washington location. I will come back and post the outcome.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:34 AM

3,376 posts, read 12,604,053 times
The one on Washington is by far the best place to go. Get there before they open and wait outside the building with everyone else Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis