U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM

6 posts, read 21,277 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the area this June. I am trying to figure out what the deal is with what side of Collierville you live on. We have read and been told to stay on the NW side but it seems like there are some very nice houses on the other side. Estanaula Trails seems to have nice, affordable houses and a good neighborhood. There also seem to be some new homes. As much as we have moved in the past I want to make sure to pick a home in a faster selling area. Are there more problems on the SW side? Does it just have a bad reputation?
We are also looking at Halle Plantation, Polo Run, Wellington Farms/Ridge, Elm Creek & Almadale Farms. (I really like Breystone but our budget in 425,000 or less) Any information on these neighborhoods would be apprecitated. We will either need a house with a pool or neighborhood pool. Also want a fun, kid filled neighborhood that does cookouts, bunko etc.
My kids will be going to St. Francis and SBA so we are looking for a shorter drive and carpools in our neighborhood too.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited by kdurkee; 03-03-2010 at 10:10 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 AM

845 posts, read 2,399,582 times
This whole "this side is better than that side" garbage as it relates to Collierville is nonsense. All schools in Collierville are good, all areas of Collierville are safe, and all homes in Collierville have good property value. I think this stuff stems from realtors who, for whatever reason, want to keep people uneasy about where they live. If you see a house that you like in the town of Collierville, or the reserve area of Collierville, regardless of what side of town it is on, do not let a realtor or some person who does not know what they are talking about stop you from buying that house. I have some other ideas of where this stuff comes from, but I will keep my opinion to myself.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 21,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
This whole "this side is better than that side" garbage as it relates to Collierville is nonsense. All schools in Collierville are good, all areas of Collierville are safe, and all homes in Collierville have good property value. I think this stuff stems from realtors who, for whatever reason, want to keep people uneasy about where they live. If you see a house that you like in the town of Collierville, or the reserve area of Collierville, regardless of what side of town it is on, do not let a realtor or some person who does not know what they are talking about stop you from buying that house. I have some other ideas of where this stuff comes from, but I will keep my opinion to myself.
Thank you. This move to Memphis has been a little tougher than our past moves with all the info we have received about how awful Memphis is and what areas of Collierville to live in. We are going to look at all the homes that fit our criteria and go from there. It is always helpful though to have some input into neighborhoods and what they have to offer. Somehow we always end up in the right house for our family and I know this time will be no different. Looking forward to enjoying Collierville.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Good luck with the search.

Memphis is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe. Unless you are really poor and live in the worst parts of town, do drugs and frequent unsafe places to get drugs, or just looking for trouble you will be fine in Memphis. The city definitely has its rough parts and its collective problems, but if you have lived in a large city before you will find that Memphis is really no different than other big cities. The suburbs of Memphis are all mostly fine. People who argue about what side of Collierville or Germantown to live on are silly busy bodies that will always find something to complain about.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:48 PM

369 posts, read 1,173,108 times
I think this whole "this side vs. that side" stuff comes from the way development in Collierville has happened. All of Collierville's amenities are north of 385. It's where the more established neighborhoods are. The southern part is more new and doesn't have alot infrastructure. I don't think it really matters b/c if you live in Collierville your kids are still going to Collierville schools.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
I think this whole "this side vs. that side" stuff comes from the way development in Collierville has happened. All of Collierville's amenities are north of 385. It's where the more established neighborhoods are. The southern part is more new and doesn't have alot infrastructure. I don't think it really matters b/c if you live in Collierville your kids are still going to Collierville schools.

That does make sense, but with the new mall located on the southern side of Collierville more amenities are going up in that area. Usually people find new development (newer homes and neighborhoods) to be a good thing. I wonder why that is considered a negative to some in Collierville?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:18 PM

53 posts, read 115,143 times
I agree with "this side is better than that side" is garbage! I grew up in Collierville but I live in Midtown(Memphis) now and love it. My parents live off of Wolf River BLV at River Walk in Collierville, their house will be up for sale here soon because they are moving back to Monterey, CA since all of us are grown and they are retired now. Memphis is not bad at all just in certain areas! Good luck on deciding! I'll be leaving Memphis in about 2 months with my girl to Phoenix,AZ for my job and it's closer to home for my girl and me(California)!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 AM

738 posts, read 2,449,765 times
It may be garbage, but it's perception, and I do think being 'south of poplar' vs. north, will affect your real estate values.

That said, I think Estanula Trails is a great neighborhood, and it's districted for very good schools (Middle is Schilling, and high is Houston), lots of activities and neighborhood interaction.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:42 AM

I agree that for what ever reason there is a segment of the population in Collierville that buys into that perception; but why? How does it affect your property value? Many of the areas to the south are newly developed and just 5 to 10years ago may have been farmland. One could argue that the property value in that area is growing and may have a more viable long-term growth trend. One thing I do know is that there were a lot of foreclosures on the southern side of Collierville due to the housing bust. Many people bought more house than they could afford. I think the foreclosures have had more of an impact on property value than anything else. When I look at that area I see great deals and great buying opportunities for people looking to move to the area. If you can buy a nicer, larger, newer house for a lower price in a great area what is the downside? Sure the property values may be a little behind the northern, older parts of Collierville, but so what? If you buy low you have much more room to make a positive sale when you move. Also, in my opinion the commute into Memphis is much better from the southern sections of Collierville. There are more E/W routes and easy access to 385. I wonder if it is the people who live on the northern side of Collierville who float that perception in an attempt to artificially inflate their own property values. If I had to guess I would say that most of the population in Collierville probably lives "north of Poplar", and most of the people involved in the city government live in that area as well. It is what it is, and I am not trying to be argumentative, but If I didn't mind the commute to my job and was looking to buy in Collierville I certainly would not rule out the southern sections of the city. There is nothing distinguishable as a negative to rule that area out. Crime is low, schools are good, taxes are low, the commute is better (my opinion), the houses are newer, the area is less densely populated (you can get more land), etc, etc..

Last edited by Tigertate; 03-08-2010 at 08:25 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 AM

279 posts, read 950,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdurkee View Post
We are moving to the area this June. I am trying to figure out what the deal is with what side of Collierville you live on. We have read and been told to stay on the NW side but it seems like there are some very nice houses on the other side. Estanaula Trails seems to have nice, affordable houses and a good neighborhood. There also seem to be some new homes. As much as we have moved in the past I want to make sure to pick a home in a faster selling area. Are there more problems on the SW side? Does it just have a bad reputation?
We are also looking at Halle Plantation, Polo Run, Wellington Farms/Ridge, Elm Creek & Almadale Farms. (I really like Breystone but our budget in 425,000 or less) Any information on these neighborhoods would be apprecitated. We will either need a house with a pool or neighborhood pool. Also want a fun, kid filled neighborhood that does cookouts, bunko etc.
My kids will be going to St. Francis and SBA so we are looking for a shorter drive and carpools in our neighborhood too.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Collierville is a nice town and it is very safe, but you must remember that crime can happen anywhere and act accordingly. Don't leave your garage door open at night with cars unlocked as many Cville residents do. It's nice to live in a safe place, but don't take it for granted.
As for the NW being the best area... anywhere North of Poplar Ave aka Hwy 57 is the better part of Collierville. The area South of Poplar Ave has some nice houses and it is safe (being Collierville), but there are some poorer familes in that area that may or may not pose an occasional crime problem. And I personally wouldn't want to live in neighborhoods that are only accessed by Houston Levee Rd (Halle Pkwy, Players Club Dr area) due to traffic in the mornings and the never-ending construction on that road, but there are some very nice houses over there.
All Collierville schools are great. The police/fire/EMS response time is great. The Mall and stores along Houston Levee are a great place to shop and enjoy your weekend. The city also has alot of community events on the Historic Town Square and other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis