Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2006, 08:49 AM

49 posts, read 228,772 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm hoping to relocate as a nursing student. Final choices are Memphis and Winston-Salem, NC. Please help with any info. What's life like in Memphis? Do I need to learn to drive? I'm single, African-American, near middle age, and don't have any children. What's a good modestly priced neighborhood to get my start?

I've worked as a Teaching Assistant most my life-have AAS in elementary education but worked as high school Math and Language Arts tutor. In case I have to work while in school, does Memphis have many jobs for Teaching Assistants?

Also, any suggestions on where to worship? Thanks everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2006, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 95,067 times
Everyone should learn how to drive....

Old 08-02-2006, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 12,067 times
Default If you live down town you won't need a car but...

you will need a gun!! memphis is going thru a little rough time right now. Crime is on an up tick. We have been living there since April, we are now going to relocat to the eastern side of TN. I would think Winston-Salem is the better choice, both for climate and scenery. You can e-mail me for further info at d_barrois@yahoo.com

Old 08-03-2006, 08:48 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times
I would suggest Winston Salem as opposed to Memphis. I lived in NC for 12 years before moving to NYC and a close friend lives in Memphis. Things are very Black and White in Memphis. The historically black areas are having awful crime problems. My friend is a pastor. He had to leave his church because the neighborhood they were in transitioned to a majority black neighborhood. He lost most of his church members, because they wouldn't integrate and they could no longer pay him. Sad.
The Winston Salem area very much in the growth corridor in NC. My wife actually got her nursing degree while we were living in NC. She has made it fine in the "big city" with her little NC community college nursing degree.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:35 PM

49 posts, read 228,772 times
Lightbulb Much appreciated

Your replies are much appreciated. I'm going with NC.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 15,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmwalton View Post
Everyone should learn how to drive....
I think the poster lives in NYC. Lots of people in NYC dont know how to drive. The mass transit system there is quite extensive (and much more reliable than other transit systems across the country), so for many NYC folk you don't really need a car or learn how to drive. It might be hard for you to fathom, but it's a way of life for many NYC folk. :-)

Old 09-17-2006, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 13,080 times
Smart decision. You would only wind up leaving.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 AM

50 posts, read 122,222 times
By far my dear....I couldn't WAIT to get out of Memphis after accepting a position there....I was told how nice it was, how many decent friendly people there were, the place had good resutaurants (NOT), etc.etc,,,

My opinion is that you will hate it. Winston-Salem is HANDS DOWN a better, smarter, more enlightened, safe, more progressive, less-redneck area.

Your choice, but I advise to saty the devil away...there are too many nice places to live even within TN, northern AL (Huntsville), NC, N GA, and all over Florida. Good Luck though !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: