Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM

278 posts, read 993,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
What a crock of poop. What in the world were these idiots thinking coming into are city limits to serve a warrant
This is one incident I hope the victims sue the pants off the city of Bartlett and the cop is charged with MURDER
From what I gather, the MPD is a bit pissed, as the BPD did not inform them of what there plan was to be
Police officers are commissioned by the state and can serve warrants outside their city in some cases. The courtesy call is just that, a courtesy. Most departments do call the other before serving a warrant in their jurisdiction, but it is not required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chai26 View Post
Every report I've read said the Bartlett police informed the Memphis police they were serving the warrant 6 minutes before they shot the man.
This is what the Commercial Appeal found. Alot of people are complaining about 6 minutes, but think about how much can happen in 6 loooong minutes. The police can pull up, enter the house, and clear it in a few minutes. We (myself included) don't know the whole story about the relationship between Bartlett and MPD, there could be past instances where they didn't get along and Bartlett decided to act on its own, who knows. I try not to judge other officers' actions when I don't have the whole story, and you shouldn't either. It reminds me of the cop chase videos on Spike TV and other channels where you only get the interesting part (same thing that happened with the Rodney King video).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hex_haight View Post
Please, tell me where I can sign up. I would love a chance to have a society free of hired armed, bigoted thugs paid to protect us from other armed thugs. Those of us who believe in personal accountablity and swift shot gun justice would be much happier with out the racist, under educated, power tripping jerks we are supposed to believe 'serve and protect' us.
Wow, who rubbed you the wrong way? Did you get a ticket recently for something YOU did? I don't know any openly racist people I work with. The strong majority of my coworkers have bachelor degrees (probably a much higher percentage among Bartlett police dept). If you think all police officers are stupid, why don't you compare the grammar and spelling in my post to others. I didn't look up any words. As for being a "power tripping jerk"... I go to work, answer calls, and go home. I don't care about screwing anyone over, I just respond to what I see during my shift. If you don't drive 15 mph over the speed limit, we will probably never meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:36 AM

28 posts, read 54,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Saltspring Island, Canada has 0 police presence

Have you compared the demographics to inner-city Memphis to British Columbia yet?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM

173 posts, read 323,465 times
cop-
if you must know my dislike of the mpd stems directly from their inability to do their jobs and the racism i personally encountered.
once upon a time...
i had an awful relationship that lasted about three years. the last year was pure hell. the man i was with had gotten into serious drug use, first snorting cocaine and by the time things really became bad, he'd moved into things you could inject. he'd start fiending and in the end days, i stopped giving him money. he'd show up and beat on my door all hours of the day and night, and in typical junkie form, alternately he'd love me and then hate me. anyone who has ever loved someone who has become addicted to a substance knows what this particular form of hell is like, and thank heavens for the sister programs of the 12 steps for those that love someone who killing themself. eventually i decided the relationship should be ended for my own sanity. one evening he showed up at my apartment, seemingly calm, and not out of the ordinary, i let him in. once he discovered i really had no cash at all, he started to rage. i locked myself in the bathroom and called the MPD. they showed up and took him away. and i thought i was safe, at least for the night.
the MPD let this junkie go a block away from my apartment. they didn't even take him to memphis mental health. they just let him go.
guess where he went?
if you guessed right back to my place, madder than ever before, you win. i will never, ever, ever ,ever understand what made those cops think just letting him go a block away was a good idea. you will never, ever, ever know the hell i endured that evening.
a month later, out of the blue, he shows back up, totally out of his gourd. i call the MPD. they show up, take him away, and this time, after me telling them PLEASE DO NOT JUST LET HIM GO AGAIN. so they took him to mental health, even after i'd told him he'd been there once two years ago and just gotten up and walked out because the guard was to dumb to stop him
well, guess who showed up in the early morning hours at my place again, very angry? if you guessed the junkie who walked right out of mental health for hte second time in his life, you win!
fast forward a few months. i had decided i'd never call the police again. he'd broken into my apartment once since that, i just nailed all the windows shut and bought more locks. if hs showed up, i just exited out which ever door he wasn't knocking at and prayed he didn't find a way in while i was gone as he'd steal from me to get his fix. one night, in total stupidity, i left the back door open after bringing in groceries and just forgot to lock it.
i remember the cops showing up, i sure as hell hadn't called them. my neighbors, who were all wonderful people and were very very aware of my inability to get this guy to understand it was over, even when that meant listening to him beat on the door forever while trying not to make a sound inside, had called the police because of the riot they heard from upstairs. of course, when they arrived, despite WALKING RIGHT BY HIM on their way into my building, the cops didn't find him. and despite the blood all over me, the bruises, my left eye beginning to turn black and swollen shut, or the fat busted lip, or trashed apartment, the brilliant MPD told me they couldn't take any pictures of my face or body. why? one cop said because he couldn't find his camera, and the woman cop said it was because they'd just come from a burgulary. (??????) so despite them walking RIGHT BY the junkie with blood all over him, the fact that i had been beat to a pulp, they told me that they couldn't take pics or file a report, but that I was not allowed to stay in my own home the rest of the night. i could go to a shelter, if i had children, or i needed to find a friend to stay with.

so, exactly what did I DO to break the law? made the mistake of caring about someone who got hooked? or called them in the first place?
after that night, a male friend of mine made sure he never bothered me again. thanks mpd

Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Well, the story is starting to evolve.

Dude sold a narc 13 grams of pot. Narc informed BPD of transaction. Judge signed warrant. BPD kicked in door and murdered suspect...

I dunno, something just don't sound right with this story. I have never heard of this type of conduct from an outside Police Dept in all my years here

hex, sorry to here of your bad expierence with your ex. Sounds like someone needed to take a loaded sock of d-cell batterys to his funky @..

Old 03-17-2010, 10:04 AM

165 posts, read 600,824 times
A little less than a half ounce of marijuana got a guy killed.

Bartlett Police should of never been there in the first place. A warrant is a warrant and the Memphis Police could of picked him up.

A hear a lot of flack about the Memphis Police, but MPD is not a bad police force for what they have to deal with everyday. The truth of the matter is that the MPD would have made this arrest, simply because they have been very trained on how to do this.

But sweet Jesus, a half ounce of bud? I could see if this guy was a bank robber, or a rapist or a violent person that there needs to be an apprehension immediately, but the weed salesman could of been much easily picked up when he left his house or gotten into his car.

Bartlett is a suburb. A 93% white suburb. Occasionally bad things happen out there, but itis mainly traffic tickets, probably a lot of small pot/drug busts, vandalism, etc. A lot of Memphis, and especially that neighborhood is like a third world country.

This could of happened peacefully and without incident if the different departments would work together. The Fartlett (the F is intentional) Police went all Clint Eastwood and we saw what happened. I really dislike the Fartlett Police and am having a good giggle at their expense.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
This could of happened peacefully and without incident if the different departments would work together. The Fartlett (the F is intentional) Police went all Clint Eastwood and we saw what happened. I really dislike the Fartlett Police and am having a good giggle at their expense.
Sad that anyone would get a 'giggle' out of a person being killed.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 PM

84 posts, read 267,921 times
I agree. How can you giggle at a tragedy like this?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 PM

63 posts, read 197,303 times
[quote=Senor Boogie Woogie;13330497]A little less than a half ounce of marijuana got a guy killed.

Wow, I don't know if the Marijuana part is true or not, but if it is why make a stink over a little pot and go in with guns blazing! In California it's basically legal. Time to decriminalize marijuana and move on.........

Secondly, if you have a problem with police services, ie, one of the above posters who didn't feel that MPD did anything to help her, please speak to a supervisoer until you get a resolution to your problem that is satisfactory to you, don't just let it go and say the cops didn't do the right thing, as a tax paying citizen of Memphis you deserve proper police attention to your matter everytime you call...

Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 AM

54 posts, read 184,668 times
Yes, California is a great example of how things should be run. California is in a huge mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis