Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 02:16 PM

57 posts, read 179,507 times

Advertisements

Hello People,

Me and my girls are headed to Memphis in Oct. We are looking for things to do places to see for black Folk. I want to know were are the hottest clubs, Places to hang out, Places to eat, etc, etc. We want to have a good time there. We are all in or early 30's so no Youngster Clubs, grown and sexy clubs please!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 PM

132 posts, read 390,619 times
Club visions,Level 2,plush the list goes on......

Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Plush was closed (hopefully for good) after yet another shooting there.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:09 AM

369 posts, read 1,233,001 times
You'll want to got to The Daq. It's located in South East Shelby County on Hacks Cross Rd right off of .385. It's an upscale black bar/club. I'm not to sure if it is a club because it just opened, but I think it is more of a bar than a club. There is a restuarant in Downtown called Onix that would probably suit your taste if you want something to eat. I highly recommend these two places for someone like you.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:26 PM

165 posts, read 461,960 times
We got plenty black churches!!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:08 PM

173 posts, read 323,583 times
seconding what nuegeye said. for the 30 and over set, black or white, we have church. lots and lots of church.
if you'd like some history to go along with your clubbing, check out the national civil rights museum and the Burkle Estate (slave haven- you'll probably need a car to visit it, and maybe a can of mace. actually, you'll need a car for pretty much anything in memphis) Burkle Estate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia like ground zero in ny, it is something you should visit, but after both I felt kinda down.
and while there is (unfortunately) no tourist booth or tours, you might also be interested in the history of Memphis's Orange Mound. i'm no authority, but i have been told it was the FIRST sub division in the entire u.s. to be built by african-americans for african-americans. it was built on the land that once belonged to the deadrick (deaderick??) plantation... i'm not recommending driving around there for an out of towner, it's not dangerous or anything during the day, but there just isn't really anything neat to see. just looks like another older working class memphis neighborhood.
for the life of me, i can't think of the first thing still around you could go look at, except maybe beale street, that bears the mark of Mr. Robert Church. if it weren't for him, there wouldn't be a memphis.
and while i'm rambling on...no one has suggested just plain ol' Beale Street on a fri or sat night. security cards just to get onto the street, so the crowd is at least 21+. the drinks are over priced since it is a tourist spot, but the neat thing is if you're in a club/bar and you don't like it, you can just walk out and pick another one on the street. personally, i stick to wet willy's but that is because in the Memphis Summer time heat, their frozen drinks are quite refreshing. that is the other thing i should mention...it is miserably hot here in the summer!!!! be ready for it! it's a wet humid heat, too, so you just kinda feel like stuff is sticking to you all the time. =(

Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
yeah go to World Overcomers Church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: