Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 PM

27 posts, read 85,777 times

Advertisements

Wow! Thank you so much for the response. It's nice to know that everyone is passionate about their home towns! Coming from California, that is so very refreshing! I really don't know the areas, I did know that Dyersburg is pretty far from Memphis but I didn't realize this wouldn't be the best place to post my question. I can certainly try the general forum. I am a nurse and looking to work fairly close to where we will be living. I do not want to live in a big city with the next house 5 feet away, I'm looking for slower pace and friendlier people. I want a good/safe place to finish raising my kids. The country sounds ideal...shoes optional! Thank you so much - you all sound like fantastic people! I'm encouraged!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:55 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
Memphis is the medical center of the mid-south. You would have no problem finding a high paying nursing job here. I think the pay would be substantially lower way out by the towns you have suggested. T here are plenty of small, rural areas closer to Memphis where you could still drive to Memphis on a daily basis for work, if that would interest you at all. Many, many people do that.

I in no way meant "country" negatively. But those 2 towns are very, very tiny and are in fact "country" compared to larger cities of Memphis, Jackson, Nashville, Jonesboro even. They are very rural areas, slow paced, not a lot to do, etc. Country. That does not equate to not wearing shoes or other stereotypes.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 11,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
According to mapquest, Dyersburg is 77 miles to Memphis and 172 miles to Nashville. Why do you go to Nashville instead of Memphis?
Many from Dyersburg do drive to Nashville for shopping. Memphis is not exactly viewed as safe for many from Dyersburg. They would prefer to travel the extra hour......believe it or not. Also, flying out of Nashville is preferable over Memphis. As I spent over 30 years there...I somewhat knowledgeable about Dyersburg.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2tn View Post
Wow! Thank you so much for the response. It's nice to know that everyone is passionate about their home towns! Coming from California, that is so very refreshing! I really don't know the areas, I did know that Dyersburg is pretty far from Memphis but I didn't realize this wouldn't be the best place to post my question. I can certainly try the general forum. I am a nurse and looking to work fairly close to where we will be living. I do not want to live in a big city with the next house 5 feet away, I'm looking for slower pace and friendlier people. I want a good/safe place to finish raising my kids. The country sounds ideal...shoes optional! Thank you so much - you all sound like fantastic people! I'm encouraged!
If you are looking for slower pace, friendly people and a great place to raise kids....Dyer County fits the bill. I would seem to offer exactly what you are looking for.....if you want night life....this isn't the place.....but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Memphis is the medical center of the mid-south. You would have no problem finding a high paying nursing job here. I think the pay would be substantially lower way out by the towns you have suggested. T here are plenty of small, rural areas closer to Memphis where you could still drive to Memphis on a daily basis for work, if that would interest you at all. Many, many people do that.

I in no way meant "country" negatively. But those 2 towns are very, very tiny and are in fact "country" compared to larger cities of Memphis, Jackson, Nashville, Jonesboro even. They are very rural areas, slow paced, not a lot to do, etc. Country. That does not equate to not wearing shoes or other stereotypes.
Pearlbob....I think you have stated you don't know much if anything about Dyersburg or Ripley....and the very fact you continue to compare to other places seems odd to me given your apparent lack of knowledge. Wouldn't it be best to just say......"I don't know"....rather than presume to be an expert for a place you know nothing about. If you want "very very tiny" try Frogjump and Ridgely Tennessee.....but I'm sure you know all about them as well.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 PM

Someone said the town has 20,000 people. So....what I said was based on that. That is very, very tiny to me. This person is moving from Cali...so I assume they too would think 20,000 is pretty darn small when living in a state with huge cities.

I didn't say anything more about your town other than to say it is small, which is true. ??? I didn't compare it to anything. You don't have to know the ins and outs of a particular small town to know that job pay in small towns is typically much less than you'd make in a larger city. Especially in the medical field.

Is there anything else, or am I missing something?

Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaDoll View Post
Pearlbob....I think you have stated you don't know much if anything about Dyersburg or Ripley....and the very fact you continue to compare to other places seems odd to me given your apparent lack of knowledge. Wouldn't it be best to just say......"I don't know"....rather than presume to be an expert for a place you know nothing about. If you want "very very tiny" try Frogjump and Ridgely Tennessee.....but I'm sure you know all about them as well.
Maybe I'm missing something, but all Pearlbob said was Dyersburg is a small town out in the country along I-155 far from Memphis. That's it. He didn't make any judgment call, he didn't editorialize. He didn't say Dyersburg is a dump, he didn't say people go barefoot. He gave information that anyone could've looked up on their own. Why are you so upset with him?

By the way, when I lived in Memphis I knew a LOT of people from Dyersburg who would come to Memphis for shopping, entertainment, etc. But I definitely understand why people would rather drive 170 miles to fly out of Nashville rather than 70 miles to fly out of Memphis.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:26 PM

421 posts, read 1,691,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but all Pearlbob said was Dyersburg is a small town out in the country along I-155 far from Memphis. That's it. He didn't make any judgment call, he didn't editorialize. He didn't say Dyersburg is a dump, he didn't say people go barefoot. He gave information that anyone could've looked up on their own. Why are you so upset with him?

By the way, when I lived in Memphis I knew a LOT of people from Dyersburg who would come to Memphis for shopping, entertainment, etc. But I definitely understand why people would rather drive 170 miles to fly out of Nashville rather than 70 miles to fly out of Memphis.
Man,T, that's absolutely nuts! Drive 170 miles instead of 70? And that's not just for flying,JustaDoll said they come to Nashville for shopping!...
Memphis is that bad?

firepower

Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
Man,T, that's absolutely nuts! Drive 170 miles instead of 70? And that's not just for flying,JustaDoll said they come to Nashville for shopping!...
Memphis is that bad?

firepower
Tell me about it! Memphis does have crime, but sheesh it's not THAT bad. I mean JustaDoll says that people in NW TN would rather drive an extra 200 miles (r/t) to go to Nashville rather than go to Memphis. That really is extreme.

It also doesn't speak very well of the city of Dyersburg when people there are willing to drive 350 miles r/t to go shopping...

Old 06-07-2007, 07:56 AM

I've driven to Nashville before to fly out, and I live in Memphis!!! Nashville has a Southwest hub, which is why. Cheapo. Flights in/out of Memphis have always been WAY higher than Nashville, I think because Northwest and Fed Ex have such a strong hold here. (not that Fed Ex has passengers, but they take up a large portion of the airport, use the runways, and thus other airlines and flights just can't fit in.) So that doesn't surprise me one bit. I would be confused as to why someone would drive to Nashville over Memphis to shop. I can see driving there just to see Nashville, but if all you want is to hit the mall and head back that evening....Why drive 200 extra miles?

I think people in small towns around here, including the immediate Memphis suburbs, seem to be deathly afraid of Memphis for some reason. Yes, there is a ton of crime, but why would you be driving into those areas? Probably 95% of crime here happens in areas that no normal person would be wandering around in. It all sounds bad on the local news, but really, any "mall" area for shopping is going to be just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis