Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 11:21 PM

77 posts, read 183,022 times

Advertisements

Hi guys-

So, can you turn right on red in Memphis?

I read you can't do U-turns in intersections w/ lights, just ones without lights, right?

Anything else?

Parking stuff?

Any other legal stuff specific to just TN we should know about?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 05:28 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
Right on red unless otherwise posted. I'm not sure about U-turns but I have done a few that had a median separating the lanes.

Anything else? Where do I start. There are no rules. Consider every other car someone who just got their license. You will witness things that baffle you in both common sense and safety. A few years ago there was a report that if you were in a car wreck in Memphis you were more likely to die in it than any other city in the US. I don't know whether that was a black mark against emergency services or when someone screws up they screw up big time.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:12 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
http://tennessee.gov/safety/dlhandbo...yGuide2007.pdf ~chapter four has a lot of TN specific info.
A couple of things I found different from the state I moved from some years ago, child safety seat laws, passing a school bus, funerals, railroad crossings, lights on when windsheild wipers are on.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 AM

165 posts, read 548,396 times
No matter how bad you drive, you won't be the worst driver here. I promise.

One thing to look out for is that a lot of times, particularly on streets like Union Ave., you can't turn left at stoplights. It doesn't make sense when there isn't any traffic, but when there is, turning left at stoplights without a turn lane would be impossible. These are well-marked though.

Parking is pretty much open. Unless it specifically says "DON'T PARK HERE OR YOU'LL GET TOWED," you can probably park there, as long as it's not in front of a driveway, alley, or fire hydrant like anywhere else.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:53 AM

209 posts, read 811,938 times
I think you can pretty much make a U-turn at any intersection unless there is a sign saying otherwise. (I do, anyway!)

And yes, you can turn right on red.

I also moved here from California about 2 1/2 years ago. Welcome!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fittoac View Post
I think you can pretty much make a U-turn at any intersection unless there is a sign saying otherwise. (I do, anyway!)

And yes, you can turn right on red.

I also moved here from California about 2 1/2 years ago. Welcome!
You've been lucky so far. Tn places a lot of restrictions on u-turns.
//www.city-data.com/forum/13175218-post2.html
Drive safely now, hear.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You've been lucky so far. Tn places a lot of restrictions on u-turns.
//www.city-data.com/forum/13175218-post2.html
Drive safely now, hear.
Oooops! I hang my head in shame.

I think the only time I've made a U-turn that is against the law, according to those listed in your post, is at a traffic light where no "No U-turn" signs are present. I now know otherwise!

Old 03-21-2010, 02:25 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,048 times
The Interstate System here it what is really dangerous. Its like a free for all. No speed limits, no turn signal and weaving in & out of traffic is the norm

Just the other day, I was going 70 in a 55. I look in my mirror and there is a Shelby County Cop closing in on me quick. I changed lanes and he just blew right past me going at least 80-85 mph(no lights or sirens)

My best advice would be stay in the slow lane till you get adjusted to this type of driving

Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Just the other day, I was going 70 in a 55. I look in my mirror and there is a Shelby County Cop closing in on me quick. I changed lanes and he just blew right past me going at least 80-85 mph(no lights or sirens)
This exact scenario happens to me at least once a week. I really have never lived in any other city where cops drive like this!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:53 PM

128 posts, read 462,110 times
Fittoac, it isn't just Shelby county. A couple of weeks ago (February) I was driving back on 40 from Nashville. I was in the left lane passing a truck that was amazingly driving below the speed limit when the next thing I know I have a car tailgating me. I finally pass the truck and get into the right lane and see that the car tailgating me was some police car (don't remember the city's name now). I would have expected better from a police officer.

I've been fortunate in that I haven't been nearly run over by a MPD or Shelby County police car yet. But I do agree that there is some strange driving habits out there. But I can live with them. I've seen worse in NJ/NY area.

What gets to me is the lack of respect people have for the elements, particularly snow. I deliberately did not go out on the road earlier today when I saw it was raining pretty hard. Doing so would probably be asking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis