Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the feedback. And, haha, thanks Ladybug - I'll keep Soul Fish in mind! It's cheap to me I guess because we come from South Florida where a one bedroom apartment in an okay neighborhood runs $1,000/month! And, if a house is under $2K a month, there's something usually wrong with it. All of which is very odd as we dont have the salaries here to support it, but anyway, I'm getting off topic

My husband is looking at high school math positions. We discovered White Station High School on our own. Can anyone recommend any other good high schools we should keep an eye out for? He teaches mostly pre-cal and calculus. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 10:48 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
When did "High Schools With A Strong Math Department" become a part of this thread

I thought your kids were in College

Are you a Math Teacher

White Station High School is the one I would recommend

Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
My husband is looking at high school math positions. We discovered White Station High School on our own. Can anyone recommend any other good high schools we should keep an eye out for? He teaches mostly pre-cal and calculus. Thanks.
I guess I should have read page 2 before posting earlier

CBHS

ECS

Briarcrest

MUS

Hutchison

^^^ These are in the private school sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
When did "High Schools With A Strong Math Department" become a part of this thread

I thought your kids were in College

Are you a Math Teacher

White Station High School is the one I would recommend

Old 04-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
I guess I should have read page 2 before posting earlier

CBHS

ECS

Briarcrest

MUS

Hutchison

^^^ These are in the private school sector
That's okay. I probably should have started a new thread. My bad.

Has to be public, as he's being recruited. Just wondering if he had any options other than White Station.

Back to the original topic...I went through the main pics and really loved the look of the main downtown area. Is it too touristy and expensive? Are there any homes near here or is it basically a loft-type situation? Im guessing the homes along the riverfront are sky-high in price, but are there homes in the general area that are more reasonable? Id really love to live in a walking area with plenty of hustle and bustle which is why Im thinking downtown might be right.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:54 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Ridgeway High would be another school to consider in addition to WSHS.
But... I imagine it would be hard to get a position at either school, as far as I understand those are considered plum jobs for MCS high schools.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ridgeway High would be another school to consider in addition to WSHS.
But... I imagine it would be hard to get a position at either school, as far as I understand those are considered plum jobs for MCS high schools.
Good to know. That's what I figured too. He doesn't care of it's a good school or not, just that it's a school that offers calculus. When we were looking at high schools it seemed that many just go up to Alg 2 or pre-calc.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:11 PM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Maybe look at Kingsbury. A few years ago they were struggling trying to get some higher level math courses going and couldn't seem to find the right teacher. Don't know whether they ever got anything up and running or not, but the interest was there.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
BWM

60 posts, read 153,120 times
You may be interested in Downtown or more specifically the South Main area which is an also an "artsy" "coffee shop" type area. That is going to be more lofts but there are some houses in the area. You will get more for your money in Midtown though.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:45 PM

We'll definitely find out if Kingsbury is on the list of schools with vacancies and see if they're still interested in offering calculus if they dont already. I'll check out the South of Main area as well. Im originally from Manhattan and very much miss the city feel after 20 years of living in the So Florida suburbs - Im done! I think it means more to me than living in a cool old house, even if it is one located really close to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: