Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 AM

16 posts, read 39,681 times

Advertisements

That's right, Minglewood tickets are too expensive. I have, however, seen some quality bands there in the last year.

Umphrey's Mcgee
Les Claypool
The Mars Volta (freakin awesome)
Mike Gordon
MOE.
The Wailers
Robert Randolph

and this year isn't looking too shabby thusfar. so far I am going to see the following bands here in Memphis...

Galactic
The Dead Weather
Widespread Panic
Jeff Beck
Govt Mule
The Flaming Lips
Mastodon
Robert Plant
Offspring

Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 AM

165 posts, read 461,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hex_haight View Post
Our lack of a radio station that appeals to me tells a great deal about the demographics of the city...and that people like me aren't wanted here.
LOL! "Aren't wanted here"?? You make it sound like a conspiracy. Could be there just aren't enough people here "like you" to cater to. I don't listen to local radio here either because I think it sucks. However, I don't take it personal. I'd much rather control what I listen to anyway,

Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
(i did give them one more chance, but never ever live in memphis again. only recordings.) same goes for harlan bobo, jay reatard, pretty much everyone outside of snowglobe is less about the music and more about "the scene".
If Jay can pull off another live show, I bet it would sell out the Liberty Bowl. (For those who don't know, the guy that went by the stage name Jay Reatard is currently dead from a drug overdose.)

I stopped listening to local radio with the exception of Drake and Zeke years ago. Losing 93x is big though. I liked their "X-Fest" at Snowden Grove a few years ago.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:43 PM

173 posts, read 323,256 times
nuegeye-
it does seem like a conspiracy. memphis is losing THREE college educated young professionals DAILY. (and FIVE middle class families....or at least the 901 is according to Memphis magazine). the fact that the leaders of this city are letting this happen, while ATL is seeing an increase in that demographic, is something to be ashamed about! why isn't my city trying to keep and attract my kind instead of just letting us leave in droves??? inaction on their part tells me they don't care and are happy to have us leaving as soon as we can get our stuff together to get out. so in a way you are right, there aren't enough of me for anyone to cater to. but a city the size of memphis shouldn't be without us if it has any hope for the future.
a few years ago we had 96X and 107 was still an alternative station (the zone or ghost or something...) there are no alternative or alt rock stations left, save the occassional program on WEVL.

moon- LOL at wsp and mastodon. some how i think you may be one of the few to attend both!
i do wish mingle was cheaper, they at least try to offer variety. and <3 mars volta. i've seen 311 way to many times, but i'd love to catch the offspring..where/when? i hope you don't say music fest. i won't go fight that nightmare for just one act anymore.

robert- i bet if jay came back the skaters would still beat him up. sorry, no love for junkies that pass out behind the hi-tone or the evil army guys that sell that s*it. his cover of frances farmer makes me angry, but then again, kurt was just another junkie too.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM

165 posts, read 461,715 times
Quote:
nuegeye-
it does seem like a conspiracy. memphis is losing THREE college educated young professionals DAILY. (and FIVE middle class families....or at least the 901 is according to Memphis magazine). the fact that the leaders of this city are letting this happen, while ATL is seeing an increase in that demographic, is something to be ashamed about! why isn't my city trying to keep and attract my kind instead of just letting us leave in droves??? inaction on their part tells me they don't care and are happy to have us leaving as soon as we can get our stuff together to get out. so in a way you are right, there aren't enough of me for anyone to cater to. but a city the size of memphis shouldn't be without us if it has any hope for the future.
a few years ago we had 96X and 107 was still an alternative station (the zone or ghost or something...) there are no alternative or alt rock stations left, save the occassional program on WEVL.
Trust me, I sense your frustration 100%. You could make the same argument about plenty other issues in Memphis. The nightlife blows. It's hard to get people here behind stuff that's new, fresh, and innovative. The majority seems to be content with going out to eat and catching movies. That stuff was cool for dates when I was in my high school and college years. Comparing ATL to Memphis is apples and oranges. Now Birmingham to Memphis is more realistic. I tell people all the time. Memphis continues to pride itself on an antiquated, lackluster culture,......the Blues, Elvis, and bar-b-q. We accept do-nothing politicians, poor public education, crime, and disparities in wealth as necessary evils. But hey,....the cost of living is low. That negates everything else for most.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
moon- LOL at wsp and mastodon. some how i think you may be one of the few to attend both!
i do wish mingle was cheaper, they at least try to offer variety. and <3 mars volta. i've seen 311 way to many times, but i'd love to catch the offspring..where/when? i hope you don't say music fest. i won't go fight that nightmare for just one act anymore.
My musical tastes are varied.

311/Offspring are playing at Mud Island in July.

311 has always played in Memphis. They even had 311 Day here one time. My friends in Nashville complain about them hardly ever playing there, and I reply "yeah, and you get everyone else!"

Old 04-08-2010, 08:38 PM

80 posts, read 267,395 times
Maynard and the boys have a thing for Memphis. Heck, Danny even brought Pigmy Love Circus here.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 PM

That's the thing - certain bands DO sell well in Memphis. Tool always packs the house, and remember how fast tickets for the Eddie Vedder show went? Dave Matthews Band SOLD OUT Autozone Park, which was only half full for the Voodoo Fest with NIN and Queens of the Stone Age in 2005.

Memphis is just weird like that I guess.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 16,073 times
I've noticed that when a concert comes to memphis, the prices are higher than any other city that you goes to. They jack up the prices when they come to memphis. Don't take my word for it, do some research. A concert will come here and be 80 dollars a ticket. The same concert will go to St. Louis, Atlanta, or anywhere else will cost around 50 bucks.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 AM

165 posts, read 600,622 times
I haven't been to a concert since Reagan was President. I never understood the whole sitting in a huge crowd, a lot of people high, drunk or just inconsiderate and stupid, trying to listen to a band through the distortion of it all.

Also, I have never been to a concert because I just wont give my money to Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster makes me vomit. It seems that a lot of people on this forum are into music and concerts and know what I mean.

The only bands I would like to see is the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd and Steely Dan. I could bear dealing with Ticketbastard to see the Dan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis