Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:51 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,054 times

Advertisements

upstate new york to tampa, wow! what a change. i would love the upstate area because of the lay of the land and the cold. you will like tampa, if you want hot and humid. tampa bay is nice, st. petersburg is fine, as is clearwater. but, the weather is hot and sticky. there are many wealthy people in tampa, and most of them are members of country clubs, most play golf, and, it is florida, consequently, the demographic for the elderly is skewed upwardly. lol, if you are low on money or looking to sightsee, you can go around and count the country clubs.

as for mtown, i pretty much agree w/ most of these guys. i am not an elvis fan, never been on the tour, etc., but thousands and thousands love it. as you pointed out your interest in music, i would say go do the "thang". beale street is the most visited tourist venue in the state. rum boogie---wasn't mentioned by others---has live music every night. midtown has some great local blues live music; however, you may just want to stay downtown. there are many good restaurants in downtown. barbecue is everywhere. rendezvous would be my pick---try dry and sweet. if you go out to east memphis i would do corky's barbecue---beef brisket and pulled pork w/ their sauce. downtown check to see what is playing at the orpheum. just to say you have, have a martini, champagne cocktail, etc., at the peabody and watch the ducks. take a stroll on mud island, ride the tram, the trolley, and then go for another stroll at harbor town on the island. you can get a feel of memphis there and see the river.
best of luck to you on your new move, and i hope you have a great time in each city you visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 06:01 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Post The things that make Memphis

Definitely do the Elvis thing.................you can't come to Memphis and not do it........do Beale Street and have a beer or just walk around and listen. There are some courtyards in the back of some clubs, restaurants and it really has a New Orleans feel.........If you get the chance to have the Rendevous ribs, yes...........watch the duck walk at the Peabody Hotel and see the grand lobby......also say ride the trolley.......there used to be an old five and dime store downtown................very old store.....it's a hoot. Cannot think of the name? Catfish and hush puppies at a good restaurant is tre Memphis and the Mud Island place.....lots of history and music history there also........the Sun Studio.....people come from all over the world to see where Johnny Cash, Elvis, etc........recorded their music. See the Mississippi........there are cobblestone walks to the river, but go when it's busy......daytime.......just be aware of surroundings if you go there. There are some punk wannabees blasting tunes around town, but it's mainly for show..........stay out of Orange Mound area.......subdivision middle of Memphis and also the Frayser area...........nada to see. You will have fun! The police have their own station on Beale St...........Beale is overpriced but worth seeing............I miss Memphis.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlasserton View Post
If you haven't seen a concert at Mud Island, you might plan your trip around this. It is such a great outdoor venue. If you are looking to get out of Memphis, come to Nashville for a different music scene!

Mud Island
...or housekeeping or a quick swim. no, seriously, nashville would be a good place to go, along w/ branson, mo for stamps baxter gospel or country music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: