Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,884 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could provide. I currently work for a college in Chicago and have worked here for the past 5 years but I am hoping to move to Memphis as soon as I can find employment. I have a masters degree in Higher education, and I would love to find employment at a college or community college setting. I would also love to work in a high school or elementary school and teach, but I am not licensed to teach yet. I have tremendous experience working in the Residence halls at 4 different colleges. I am well versed at handling late night crises of any kind and I am currently in charge of the judicial system at my present college, meaning, if a student violates a policy, they come meet with me. With all that being said, I love education and I am looking for a job. Does anyone know of any good schools to work at, know of anyone hiring? I am ready to make a change and challenge myself in a new direction, I'm open to anything! My hobbies include all things home construction and design related as well, so if working for a design company or construction company could pay my monthly bills I'd be game for that too. I hope this question is appropriate for this forum and thank you all for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,356,513 times
I haven't a clue as to where to direct you. Desoto County is getting ready to lay off 10% of its teachers. MCS student population is decreasing ever year so its only a matter of time before they start to do teacher layoffs. Shelby County Schools have teachers fighting to get in, so I suppose the private sector would be your best choice. Not having that teaching certificate is going to hurt I would imagine

Good Luck

Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM

93 posts, read 456,433 times
Try a search of colleges in Memphis; you'll get a list of universities, community colleges, technical institutes, etc. You might want to start by looking into Southwest Tennessee Community College. Once you've had a chance to look at it and any others, let us know if you have more specific questions about any of them and maybe someone can help.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:13 PM

thanks to 901 and jm24 for your replies. I appreciate the insight. I have started my search of colleges and that seems to be where my focus is. Southwest Tennessee Community College has a few openings that would work for me so I think I will start there and continue to keep my eye on the University of Memphis hr page for openings. Hopefully I can find a great new opportunity by the start of the fall semester. I would love to start working with younger students v. college students though, but that might have to wait until I am more acquainted with the private high schools in Memphis. Those layoffs and decrease in enrollment are sad to hear about, but sadly it is happening nationwide Our country needs a education makeover asap, it's pitiful how we compare in education to other nations.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 9,405 times
Default places of education in Memphis

I work in healthcare and do not work in education. That having been said, I have friends who work at various places of higher education in Memphis. Our largest university is The University of Memphis. We have a small private college, Rhodes College, which would be similar to a southern version of an Ivy League School. Then we have a Catholic School, Christian Brothers University. After that our major community college is Southwest Tennessee Community College. We have a small historically black college, Lemoyne-Owen College. Union University (of Jackson, TN) also has a Germantown, TN campus. We have a few seminaries as well. I can't remember if Crichton College is still up and running. Oh, also The University of Tennessee Center for the Health Sciences is here as well. The major complaint I hear about all of them is of course, the funding issue, as the state continues to have to increase tuition and make job cuts, etc., with the state colleges.

These are the major players

Old 05-16-2010, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,624 times
Teach Memphis: idealist.org - Become a Teacher. Teach Memphis (http://www.idealist.org/if/i/en/av/Job/374958-212/c - broken link)
[url=http://www.teachmemphis.org/]Teach Memphis[/url]

Best of luck.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 PM

23 posts, read 48,943 times
I actually work at Southwest TN Comm College. I like working there, but we have challenges like all places.

PM me if you want some insight.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM

628 posts, read 1,680,790 times
There are 3 community college systems in the metro (one for each state). There are a lot of charter schools in the city too. But as posted before, state budgets are being slashed right now with more lay-offs expected. Also previously posted, it's good to look at Memphis regional cities like Jonesboro-AR (Arkansas State University), Jackson-TN (Union University, Lambuth University, Lane College, Freede-Hardeman University, Jackson State Community College), Oxford,MS (Ole Miss) and I'm sure there's more options in the in the Tupelo, MS area. Most all the regional ones listed are within 40-60min of driving.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; 05-17-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 03:29 PM

Thanks to ConcernedMemphian, GrittyKitty and Johnny Ryall for your responses, sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I got swamped with my current job! All of your suggestions were helpful! I have been doing research as well, so some of the schools I have been looking at, and in fact, I have applied now for 2 jobs that I would love to have. But you also suggested some schools I didn't realize were so close, so that was helpful too! I am hoping to hear from the schools I applied to soon, and I am keeping my eye open every day on HR webpages for new postings. Thanks again for your help!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:02 AM

6 posts, read 14,714 times
Ripley in Lauderdale Co. posts openings online LCED.net. You can also apply online. They are in need of at least two high school teachers. As long as you are within a year of graduating college, I'd say you'd have a good shot at one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis