U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 16,525 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a firefighter/ paramedic looking to start a new career in Memphis with my girlfriend. We are aware about the crime and poverty that so many people have talked about. That doesn't bother us much at all. We currently live in an area of South Florida where the crack of gunshots, speeding police cars, and roaring fire engines and trucks are part of normal life. Besides, those places are the BEST places to be a fireman.

We are looking at houses in the city limits. It has been a challenge to get an accurate boundary map of the city limits. Maybe someone can direct us with a place to look. We would like to keep the house between 150 and 230K. Also, she is an artist and I am a musician and we love character. An old home with history is perfect. I saw some houses on half acres but they look like they are out of the boundry. Maybe not?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 11:42 PM

13,149 posts, read 37,688,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Down a Dream View Post
Hello, I am a firefighter/ paramedic looking to start a new career in Memphis with my girlfriend. We are aware about the crime and poverty that so many people have talked about. That doesn't bother us much at all. We currently live in an area of South Florida where the crack of gunshots, speeding police cars, and roaring fire engines and trucks are part of normal life. Besides, those places are the BEST places to be a fireman.

We are looking at houses in the city limits. It has been a challenge to get an accurate boundary map of the city limits. Maybe someone can direct us with a place to look. We would like to keep the house between 150 and 230K. Also, she is an artist and I am a musician and we love character. An old home with history is perfect. I saw some houses on half acres but they look like they are out of the boundry. Maybe not?
You should feel right at home in Memphis! I actually love the place, crime and all.

In your price range, you should easily find something in the Cooper-Young neighborhood. It's the few blocks around the intersection of Cooper and Young. At the intersection there are several funky restaurants and watering holes, down Cooper is a large gay-friendly church ("First Congo" which is short for First Congregation) in one direction, and a five-screen arthouse movie theater in the other direction. Young ends at the Liberty Bowl to the east and a slummy neighborhood to the west. The neighborhood itself was developed around the turn of the century and has everything from restored Victorian cottages, craftsman style bungalows, and tiny shotgun houses. The neighborhood is pretty Bohemian with people from all walks of life.

Others in this forum might have other suggestions, but I highly recommend the Cooper-Young neighborhood for what you're after. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 AM

3,371 posts, read 12,840,061 times
I'd recommend that area too, or a condo in the South Main Arts district downtown if you would want a condo. Finding a smaller home in that price range in midtown will be no problem (think zips 38104 and 38112).

For "city limits" of Memphis, you can generalize to say anything inside the interstate loop, and about a mile outside of it in any direction (except into AR of course).

Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Thanks for the help

Thankyou for your suggestions. Is the Central Gardens area nice?

My girlfriend wants to get a job with the Christian Brothers University so she's been looking in the 38104.

I look forward to coming to Memphis later on in the year!

Old 06-15-2007, 10:22 AM

Yes, Central Gardens is the nicest area of Memphis, IMO. It has the oldest most unique historical homes, by far. For the most part, CG is very expensive and you are paying not at market rate, but more for the area.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:24 AM

232 posts, read 766,988 times
central gardens is a VERY nice area. be careful when looking in the 38112 area as you may end up in Binghampton (i'd say good boundaries for Binghampton would be Hollywood and Tillman on the west and east, and Jackson and Poplar on the north and south). 38111 is also within the midtown confines.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Very informative

Thanks again. I just wanted to clarify that I certainly don't want to live on a steet or very near a place where there are murders, drive by's, and home invasions. I can tolerate it and understand it is a part of any big city. I work in a city that had ranked the number one most dangerous in the US for violent crimes with population under 100,000. Still, there are nice pockets there (the prices are just too astonomical, along with all of South Florida).

Midtown sounds really nice. I'm going to check that area out. Is Midtown more east? How far is it from Downtown?

I have heard to stay away from the North and South sides of Memphis...too dangerous.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:18 PM

232 posts, read 766,988 times
midtown and downtown border each other, so from the most outer part of midtown, it may take you 5-10 min to get downtown. not all of north and south memphis is bad, but to be safe, i wouldnt move to either one of those sides of town (though i grew up in a relativly nice and safe neighborhood in N. Memphis)

Old 06-15-2007, 12:22 PM

I live in midtown and i'm a 5 min or less drive from the downtown core. Midtown is in the western part of Memphis.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:29 PM

I found a historic house on the 1400 block of Court Ave. Is this area secure in safety/community.

Also, what's Overton like and is all of Midtown fine to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis