Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM

26 posts, read 84,167 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Memphis for work. However, my family will be staying in Atlanta GA. I plan on visiting them as frequently as I can. I wanted to know what is the best possible way - bus, rail, flight?

I prefer not to drive. Also I heard travelling by greyhound in and out of memphis is not safe. How true is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 AM

369 posts, read 1,232,869 times
First off, there is no passenger rail line to Atlanta. Only to New Orleans and Chicago. Second, Greyhound is horrible period. No matter where it's at. But that's just me. Flying would be very easy if you have the funds. The drive is not bad at all. If Birmingham would ever finish its loop or whatever they call it, it would be an even better drive.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
AirTran offers cheap air fares and flies Memphis-Atlanta (also Tunica-Atlanta).

Old 05-27-2010, 01:08 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times
Roundtrip Memphis to Atlanta is less that $200....and is only about an hour flight.

Driving, you basically have two choices; Memphis-Nashville-Chattanooga-Atanta or Memphis-Birmingham-Atlanta. I've done both many times - and continue to do so since my best friends live in Marietta. Personally, I don't find that much difference either way....and I don't mind the drive at all.

If I-840 is EVER completed, the Nashville route would be much improved and the time probably dropped by at least 30 minutes - maybe more. But that's a long time away. Going that way, the stretch from Memphis to the Tennessee River is the most boring section. The stretch from Monteagle to Chattanooga is beautiful.

The Birmingham route is MUCH improved now that you don't have to take old 78 from Jasper into Birmingham to get to I-20. Highway 78 is now fully Interstate-like almost to I-65. Going to Atlanta, you just stay on Hwy 78 until it ends. The last several times I've gone, that has been at Cherry Avenue - but Google now shows it complete to Coalburg Road, although I don't know if that's accurate. Either way, you exit 78 there and turn right...then turn left on Daniel Payne Blvd...then right on I-65...to I-20 East (It's easier than it sounds).

The stretch from MS to Birmingham is boring, as there's not much there. No rest stops...although a few of the exits in AL now have gas stations. Coming back this way there is a rest stop just as you enter MS.

I think the Birmingham route is about 45 minutes shorter - but that might also depend on where in Atlanta you're going. I sort of alternate between those two routes...Birmingham if I want the quickest....Nashville if I want to stop in Nashville or Chattanooga to do something on the way. Last month I even went Memphis-Nashville-Gatlinburg-Atlanta-Birmingham-Memphis....two of us in a Miata

Maybe your family would arrange to meet you for an occasional weekend in Nashville? There's a lot to do and see there, and it's pretty close to midway. My friends in Marietta do that occasionally...and it makes for a nice weekend mini-vacation for all of us...

Old 05-27-2010, 01:41 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,729 times
If you fly to ATL from MEM, it'd be like 30 minutes, one way. If you have to ride on Greyhound, simply have a friend to accompy you until your bus is ready to depart.

I live outside of Atlanta. When driving to Memphis from the Atlanta/Marietta suburbs, I prefer backroads, from Rome, GA (outside of Atlanta/Marietta suburbs) to Huntsville, AL., and stay on US 72 West all the way to Corinth, MS/Memphis. Not much of traffic to deal with.

I once drove all the way to Knoxville, Tenn., from Memphis before heading back to Atlanta. It was heck of a drive.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,331 times
As others have said, there is no train service and I wouldn't put my worst enemy on a bus between Memphis and Atlanta, so driving and flying are your only two options. Best fares between MEM and ATL are about $120 if you can schedule your flights at the cheapest off-peak times; assuming gas at $2.75/gal and roughly 20 miles per gallon, the 800 mile round trip comes out to just over $100 for gas, so it's nearly a wash financially -- might as well fly and save about 12 hours of your life you won't have to spend in a car.

I've driven between Atlanta and Memphis at least once or twice a year for the last 24 years, going back to visit family in Arkansas. As others have said, the I-20/US 78 route through Birmingham and Tupelo is vastly better than it used to be -- it's now nearly all freeway except for short stretch between Birmingham and Jasper, AL, instead of the winding two-lane highway it used to be. The I-75/I-24/I-40 route through Chattanooga and Nashville used be roughly equivalent in terms of driving time way back then, but these days unless you're going to be visiting/staying northwest of Atlanta itself or you're already on the east side of Memphis, it doesn't really have any compelling advantages, and the time difference is probably a bit more than an hour in favor of the I-20/US 78 route. I've also take US 72 east from Memphis through Florence/Tuscumbia/Muscle Shoals and on toward Huntsville and then cut over either to I-20 or up through Rome, GA; I really like it for coming back this way from Memphis, as US 72 has much less traffic than 78, and is generally an overall more pleasant drive. The downside is that there's no easy way to get from Huntsville to the Atlanta area -- any route you pick involves going out of your way and taking small obscure state highways for part of the trip.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:45 PM

628 posts, read 1,685,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
AirTran offers cheap air fares and flies Memphis-Atlanta (also Tunica-Atlanta).
That's your best answer right there.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 PM

26 posts, read 84,167 times
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis