Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,320,565 times

Advertisements

I think one thing about living on the island, or anywhere in Memphis for that matter, is that you'd need to do bulk shopping. Don't expect to make quick trips to the grocery store every other day, like you might do in other cities. Make one big trip once a week, or every 2 weeks. The distance isn't that bad, to me. But I've never expected to live somewhere with a large grocery store within walking distance.

The Schnucks on Union is small, but it's a full grocery store. It's a fine place, love it or hate it. It's midtown, it's quirky Kroger on Poplar and Cleveland (can be shady, but ok) and Kroger down further on Poplar and Highland. Piggly Wiggly on Madison at Avalon (again, sort of shady).

If I lived on the island, I'd shop at Schnucks. I would not mess with the headache of nonstop construction and trafffic to go across the bridge to the West Memphis. It's down to one lane in both directions on I-40 right now. No thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 01:48 PM

129 posts, read 303,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellen View Post
My wife and I are highly considering on moving from Miami, Fl. to Memphis.
We took a trip to Memphis last week and went house hunting in the Harbor Town area.
Our concern also is where to go food shopping. We drove to the WalMart in Arkansas which is about 8 miles from Ms. Cordelia's.

Is the Kroger that you mentioned in West Memphis closer in distance than the WalMart?

Thanks.

The Kroger is maybe a mile before the Walmart. It sits on the left. If you went to the Walmart, you would have driven right past it!

We go to that Kroger if we need to stock up on things, but for quick trips to grab a couple things, we will go to the Scnucks on Union.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,411 times
I'm considering a move to Memphis and was hoping for an apartment or loft near a park, coffee shop, etc. Any ideas? I also want to live close to downtown if possible. Is the downtown area safe/active?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:17 PM

Downtown is as safe and active as it gets in Memphis.

There are riverfront parks on the island, and also in the regular part of downtown along the bluff. Coffee shops on both the island and in downtown.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:41 PM

24 posts, read 76,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Downtown is as safe and active as it gets in Memphis.

There are riverfront parks on the island, and also in the regular part of downtown along the bluff. Coffee shops on both the island and in downtown.
Pearlbob - I'm a little confused. I was just in Memphis twice looking at places in Mud Island and Downtown. I really want to live downtown but I was a bit uneasy about safety issues, particularly with robberies and issues with robberies/car thefts in parking garages. I checked the Memphis crime mapper and it shows a lot of crime downtown in the last 30 days. I know it's not Orange Mound or anything but it still seemed a little sketchy after dark.

As far as Mud Island - it seemed really boring and isolated but safer than downtown core. At the same time - I researched an apartment complex I had looked at and apparently there have been several robberies in the complex and I looked at the crime mapper and there was a robbery at gunpoint right outside the complex.

I guess it seems like really nowhere in Memphis is safe or relatively safe. Perhaps downtown is moderately safe - but living there and walking around at night all the time made me a bit wary. I'm so frustrated because I just want to live in a safe area with stuff to do for 20-somethings.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 PM

The downtown zip code, 38103, is the safest zip code in Memphis. the least crime.

I agree with the island - it's safer, and more family friendly, but I find it plain and boring. But that's just my opinion. It has it's pros and cons for sure.

You're going to find more crime in apartment complexes in any city, it's not just Memphis. Due to the type of people who are more likely to rent than own, due to the chioces of breaking into different cars/apts, just the ease of it I suppose. That does not make the island unsafe at all.

I walk around at night all the time downtown, and I don't feel unsafe. Again, that's just me. I think I have more of a city-mindset. I don't expect the white picket fence atmosphere in any urban area

Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 PM

thanks Pearlbob - I guess I'm just talking to myself in some ways. Whether to go with lively, fun, but maybe not as safe or boring and pretty safe.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 PM

The worst part of downtown, hands down, is the bums. They panhandle for money, obnoxiously a lot of the time. They are not actually homeless, they just want to scam you for money. But it's annoying, not unsafe. They mainly go after tourists who believe their stories and will give them some cash.

Where else are you thinking about living, as a 20-something year old? Elsewhere in town, or completely out in the suburbs?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 PM

Yeah, I can deal with bums, just not being robbed

I'm working downtown so I was thinking either downtown or Mud Island. But Mud Island just seemed dead so I guess I'd consider the suburbs to be safer but I think I'd be bored out of my mind. But at least they have grocery stores and stuff in the burbs. Thought about midtown initially but I think I'd feel safer downtown for sure.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:49 AM

Maybe some others will weigh in. But to me personally, I think the island would be boring (and I'm not even a young person wanting to go out and meet people). Downtown would be completely safe, to me. Midtown is also great, but is more residential, much different than downtown, and also is hit or miss with safety. Have you looked for rentals in the South Bluffs/south Main area? Many people rent condos out, and there is also a large apt complex in a gated area with million dollar homes (South Bluffs Apts). It's more south of downtown, so there are less vagrants wandering around, and there are some cool places to go around there. the south Main area definitely has an "everybody knows your name" atmosphere for the young professional people who live around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis