Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:41 PM

704 posts, read 2,071,612 times

Advertisements

Schizoid is a personality disorder caused my many factors and how it affects different people can be very wide in scope.

How can someone conclude that a person with this disorder, is unable to make proper, rational, correct, etc. decisions?

Schizoid is not related to schizophrenia as far as I know. And often people with schizoid are assumed to be related to schizophrenia, and people can become too paranoid toward the person with the schizoid disorder.

One symptom is somewhat neutral emotions whether good or bad has occurred. Rather a dull reaction to the event. Not the normal reaction to some very good event, but not so gloomy either on some very bad event.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:15 PM

345 posts, read 1,643,318 times
Schizoid means - showing certain behaviors of schizophrenia. Usually labelled before a full diagnosis.

Just because one person doesn't react as others may react to a supposedly "bad event" doesn't make them schizoid or schizophrenia.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naeem5 View Post
And often people with schizoid are assumed to be related to schizophrenia, and people can become too paranoid toward the person with the schizoid disorder.
Why would someone with a personality disorder tell people about it? Seriously.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:51 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,390,495 times
Quote:
Schizoid is a personality disorder caused my many factors and how it affects different people can be very wide in scope.

How can someone conclude that a person with this disorder, is unable to make proper, rational, correct, etc. decisions?

Schizoid is not related to schizophrenia as far as I know. And often people with schizoid are assumed to be related to schizophrenia, and people can become too paranoid toward the person with the schizoid disorder.

One symptom is somewhat neutral emotions whether good or bad has occurred. Rather a dull reaction to the event. Not the normal reaction to some very good event, but not so gloomy either on some very bad event.
decision-making is relative. it depends on how one thinks and perceives life.

and reactions are relative also. take the death of a loved one. person A may cry all day. person B may be sullen and less talkative. person C may seek to overcome the grief by doing chores to make him/herself more positive.

Normalcy is relative, and any psychiatrist worth his/her salt should take that into account when making diagnoses.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why would someone with a personality disorder tell people about it? Seriously.

I know someone who is schizoid personality disorder.
Other people immediately think Schizophrenia and get scared of this person. This is not fair treatment of someone,
by assuming they have a different disorder because you, the assumer, don't know the definitions much less the level of severity.

I'll give a very off topic example.
Chris Matthews of Hard Ball.
I've heard that guy say many times....the term GAY FEMALE. There has never been a gay female in the history of the world. He's got his terminology, wrong due to ignorance. He needs his facts straight before he shows his ignorance to millions watching.

Homsexual = male or female
Gay = male
Lesbian = female.

Ever heard any one speak of a lesbian male. I wonder why. There ain't any.
So Mr. Matthews should never be told the word bisexuality. He doesn't even know gay means males, much less the complexity of bisexuality.

To run and avoid a schizoid person because you think they are schizophrenic is wrong.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:29 AM

345 posts, read 1,643,318 times
Quote:

I know someone who is schizoid personality disorder.
Other people immediately think Schizophrenia and get scared of this person. This is not fair treatment of someone,
by assuming they have a different disorder because you, the assumer, don't know the definitions much less the level of severity.

I'll give a very off topic example.
Chris Matthews of Hard Ball.
I've heard that guy say many times....the term GAY FEMALE. There has never been a gay female in the history of the world. He's got his terminology, wrong due to ignorance. He needs his facts straight before he shows his ignorance to millions watching.

Homsexual = male or female
Gay = male
Lesbian = female.

Ever heard any one speak of a lesbian male. I wonder why. There ain't any.
So Mr. Matthews should never be told the word bisexuality. He doesn't even know gay means males, much less the complexity of bisexuality.

To run and avoid a schizoid person because you think they are schizophrenic is wrong.

huh ?

Old 07-03-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
huh ?
gay does (never has, never will) not mean female (are you listening Chris Matthews of Hard Ball on CNBC?)

schizoid does not mean schizophrenia (according to my sources which are the parents of the schizoid, who is mistaken as being schizophrenic and subjected to false paranoia by peers and others)

Old 07-03-2010, 10:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
That still doesn't answer my question asking WHY would people who is schizoid even tell people they are schizoid?

Mental illness isn't the type of thing you should share with a new acquaintance for goodness sake.

Example:

I'm taking a class. The first day the professor tells us that he's bipolar.

WHY? WHY? WHY? Would he tell his class that he's bipolar?

We go on break and a classmate tells us that her mother is bipolar and she herself has some other mental disorder!

WHY? WHY? WHY? Would anyone tell strangers something like that?

This is not conversation to have casually with strangers!

Yes, I do avoid the classmate now. IMO she's weird for brining up that type of personal information with absolute strangers the very first time she meets them.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:24 PM

26,774 posts, read 26,897,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
Schizoid means - showing certain behaviors of schizophrenia. Usually labelled before a full diagnosis.
What? Schizoid Personality Disorder is one of the 11 Personality Disorders in the DSM-IV. Its essential features are a pervasive detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of expression of emotions in interpersonal settings. The person has no cognitive or perceptual distortion. (Schizotypal Personality Disorder is more severe than Schizoid Personality Disorder.) Schizophrenia is not a personality disorder; it's a psychotic disorder, often successfully treated with medication.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,884,655 times
However, relatives of schizophrenic people have a higher incidence of schizoid and schizotypal PDs than the general population. I would be quite reluctant to marry or have a child with any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health