Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 04:46 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
pseudoephedrine salfate
I think you have your answer right there..

I was taking MucinexeDM and had been on it for a week when I went to town. I had a spell almost exactly like you described. It scared me so bad I almost called 911 from right in the store. I made it home on my own though and the next day went to the doctors office bright and early and had one while I was there and thought I was going to pass out. When they checked my blood pressure, I was shocked.. it was high! I have never had high BP in my life, in fact mine, as a rule runs low.. That was the last day I took that stuff and it has not happened since.

I keep telling my doctor I am Miss Side Effects Queen and he laughs at me but I can tell you, that was one of the scarest side effects I ever had since I quit statin drug.. I am honsetly afraid of taking anything anymore.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 AM

329 posts, read 1,271,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I think you have your answer right there..

I was taking MucinexeDM and had been on it for a week when I went to town. I had a spell almost exactly like you described. It scared me so bad I almost called 911 from right in the store. I made it home on my own though and the next day went to the doctors office bright and early and had one while I was there and thought I was going to pass out. When they checked my blood pressure, I was shocked.. it was high! I have never had high BP in my life, in fact mine, as a rule runs low.. That was the last day I took that stuff and it has not happened since.

I keep telling my doctor I am Miss Side Effects Queen and he laughs at me but I can tell you, that was one of the scarest side effects I ever had since I quit statin drug.. I am honsetly afraid of taking anything anymore.

Today I am feeling confident that was what it was. I didn't even dawn on me until I saw the little silver pill thingy and then it hit me - I took it before lunch with very little on my stomach because my sinuses was bothering me and I had an awful headache. The thing I felt more than anything was drugged up - which I was - but the way it came on so fast scared the crap out of me - I was tempted to take myself to the hospital because I was thinking this can't be right. I think I was so busy I forgot I took it. But it makes sense now.

I, too, am very sensitive to meds and try not to take them - but I had a lot to get done and was having a hard time concentrating so I took it. This time of year is awful for my sinuses and we have had a lot of rain so the mold count has been very high - which I am allergic too.

I am feeling so much better today - but I can still feel it in my system. Woke up at 1:30 last night all wired and couldn't get back to sleep until around 6:00 for about an hour and a half before I had to get up for work. Considering the lack of sleep - I don't feel sleepy though which is good. My sinuses are acting up, but there's no way I am taking one of those again. Took some advil for the pressure.

I didn't really think it was a panic attack - but I have heard that a lot of people don't realize that is what is going on when they have one so I thought well maybe I was.

Anyway - thanks to all who replied.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:21 AM

329 posts, read 1,271,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You're the same age as me.. I get the same thing with being shaky and feeling weird.

You have hot flashes for one as you know; and I also wonder if it's sugar related since you didn't eat. I normally don't eat during the day but some days I have to, depends on the night before. Have you ever had your sugar tested? I run high and am border-line for getting diabetes from what I've researched. When I say high, I'm talking the high 400's.

Do you have back problems or muscle spasms? When my back pain gets bad I notice I feel like this more often.
I do have border-line diabetes and a strong history of it in my family - on both sides. I watch what I eat and try to eat regularly which helps. Although this could have contribute - I am feeling pretty confident it was the Lortidine I took. I am very familiar with the shaky feeling I get when I need to eat and my blood sugar is getting out of whack.

Don't have the back problems or muscle spasm - unless I have been doing some heavy lifting improperly

Thanks for your input!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 AM

129 posts, read 444,664 times
I've had very good luck with Zanax as required but too many times it is easy to wait a few minutes too long. I use about 1 1/2mg a day. I have also had good luck with paxil as long as your Doctor is willing to talk you through any side effects that may come up. Without council the paxil or any other drug can seem to cause even more problems.(Side Effects)
You don't have to know exactly how the drug works but your Doc should help you through recognizing the positive effects and accept the negative side effects. Often it's a matter of time, you have to get used to the meds. I remember when Paxil stopped my mind from racing. It was not immediate but what a blessing.
My original experience with Paxil was for just over 2 years with counseling. I was OK for 7 years with no meds until other recent health issues.
What I'm trying to say is please don't accept a prescription for a drug like paxil or zoloft without securing counseling for the experience of getting used to the drug. Beware of a Doctor who tells you there are no side effects.

I usually have anxiety problems as the result of being somewhere where I really don't want to be. Another trigger point can result from too much caffine, sugar, or other stimulant.
Wish I had cure in my pocket. All I can say is that things can and will get better.
Again, just for good measure: Meds plus med counseling can work well.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:39 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I am now seeing both a therapist and a psychiatrist to treat my anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD. The therapist has suggested a certain type of therapy to uncover a more complete picture of some of the things I went through as a child. I have some recollections but they are like snapshots in time. Evidently FOR ME anyway, this is what is driving my emotional issues.
My psychiatrist is just flat out wonderful and I am so glad I found him. I am literally fearful of alot of men but he is very low key and I found it easy to talk to him. I am hoping he will change me from the Clonazapam to something else. It only took me a week to build up a resistance to it, now it doesn't even effect me at all.
I miss you guys, hopefully my computer will be working better soon.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM

9 posts, read 5,524 times
Default Weird panic/anxiety attacks

Hi all,
just wanted to throw my experiences of panic and anxiety out there amongst you guys, for two reasons: To let anyone know they are not alone, and for me to possibly get some answers myself.

I've had anxiety/panic attacks off and on my whole life. I was a loner as a child, I just didn't really fit in, etc, etc, but I didn't let that stop me from enjoying life. I've always been an introvert, and that's just the way I am I guess, I don't wish for it to be any different, except for the anxiety/panic to go away.

I'm 22 now, and I suspect that it has gotten worse due to my increased awareness of my surroundings as I get older, and also the use of drugs and alcohol. It seems that people who suffer from panic attacks are really more susceptible to drugs and alcohol, I guess you would call it self medication.

For about a year now, I haven't been able to get/hold a job, and those around me think I'm just being lazy, except for my mother. However, it really is a horrible feeling WANTING to work, but just getting that horrible fear of panic in the pit of your stomach, and all of the other wonderful symptoms that go along with it when I think about going and applying for a job. I avoid situations where people my own age are sure to be, and I'm just a recluse really, although not by choice.

A lot of people don't know what causes their anxiety - I do. It's fear of the unknown, of being thrown into this life and not knowing why, it's fear of dying, and not knowing what's on the other side. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a dream, and I'm about to go crazy or lose control. Much to my comfort, these are normal symptoms of anxiety, and I probably only worry about life as much as I do because I don't live a particularly happy life at the moment, so of course I'm going to worry. I suspect if I had more friends, a girlfriend, a simple job, and was just able to communicate to others more than I am now, then I wouldn't worry so much about the future or the past, I would focus on the now, and enjoy it. At this time, I can't enjoy anything, and supposedly, misery loves company.

I'd love to see a doctor, maybe even get on some meds, and try a go at group therapy, but it's all very difficult with no job, and no insurance, as ironic as it is, due to my illness. All I've got right now are a few people that are there for me.

Due to all of this, there are other consequences, such as constantly feeling guilty/and ashamed of being a "failure" at life, and feeling like no one else in the world has any idea of how I feel. I feel like it's my own personal, tailored illness to deal with. I guess you could say I feel helpless. It is especially unnerving when you combine the fact that my anxiety comes from something nobody knows anything about: What life is, and what is after life. What's worse, is all I've got is time at the moment to think about it, although I try not to, it's always there in the back of my mind and the pit of my stomach.

Recently, a run in with the law due to drugs and alcohol has really woken me up. I've started looking for 12-step meetings in my area and also depression/anxiety meetings, with some luck. These meetings are all free of charge. I've also started reading like crazy (no pun intended) to keep my mind from dwelling on negative thoughts and emotions. I want to start a new life, and leave the old me behind. No drugs, no alcohol, and I'm hoping, that that will be the key, along with maybe some (legal) meds, and some group therapy.

Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to add them in. Thanks again.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:01 AM

325 posts, read 2,995,118 times
You may not think anyone else is like you, but you're wrong. Many anxiety suffers have the same complaints you do: life, society, after-life, embarassment, etc. First and foremost, you need to change your attitude about life. Get rid of the "I wish...", "If only *** were different", and "no one understands me." You have to accept who you are and what your life currently is like. Since you can't afford therapy, at the least go to your local bookstore or library and read any and all books on anxiety. The part you need to spend extra attention on is desensitization. That will help you go out into the world to get a job.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:34 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel86 View Post
Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to add them in. Thanks again.
Be prepared for your post to be locked, mine as well as another posters was, when they were in fact reactions to medications and not panic attacks.

There's some sort of unwritten rule that panic attack posts need to go here

Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
I used to get these as a youngster. I haven't had one since I moved out of my parents house in 1975

Old 12-19-2008, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,353 times
Default My panic disorder life is DEATH

I have had panic Disorder for for about 20 years or so. It has gotten worse as the years have gone on. I am usually annoyed when new doctors can't believe I have a job, go to school, have friends and live somewhat a "normal" life.
My ex-wife divorced me after 17 years of marrage. She also had panic, and other mental health issues. Not long after we divorced which she pushed for she took her own life at 39 years old one month before her 40th birthday.
In her note she said, that she need to get divorced because I was always in her way of achieveing death. I guess I was;however, I wan't aware of it. I take very strong, dangerous meds which I am now good off slowly. I could use any and all support I can get.
I don't tell very many people about the panic and I lie about it often being I've learned the hard way that is how you lose jobs, friends and other life things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health