Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM

37 posts, read 283,726 times

Advertisements

My sister saw a chiropractor who deals in neurology and he studied her brain to figure out why she was depressed and feeling like she was going crazy. He has helped her a lot.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,017 times
Just a note to let you all know I've merged all threads related to panic attacks, anxiety attacks and everything related to that (i.e. depression over Panic Attack Disorder, PTSD, treatement options, help, support, etc.) and stickied it so it can help as many people as possible.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Default Panic attack - need help asap

To those that were following my post Panic attack - need help asap before it was locked..

It was not a panic attack, it was the effects of one of the meds she was taking. Once she stopped the meds totally she was fine.

She was so afraid to eat mashed potatoes while she was here, eventually I got her to have some; no problems.

I did send her info about bipolar, it's very possible her child will get diagnosed.

I appreciate the reps & DM's I've gotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My niece is visiting us for a few weeks. She's been having serious panic attacks, the meds she was given are almost gone, and we just found out this morning, she does not have health insurance.

I get what you guys are saying about not stopping them, the problem is (after talking to her this morning) she doesn't think what she's been prescribed is even helping.

They gave her imipram HCL - says 1 tab at bedtime.
She used to be on Wellbutrin SR and I'm not sure if this was with the imipram HCL or with one of her other meds. At one time she was on Alprazolam (Xanax), said that worked the best. I also have a bottle for Prednisone, think she was given that for asthma, which I'm not sure she has since the breathing problems comes when she's stressing having an anxiety attack.

If I have it right, she just started on the imipram HCL before coming here. One site I was on this morning, sounded like it might increase anxiety in some people which is what it seems to be doing to her.

She did try calling the physician today, they are closed. I'll ask if she can leave a message.
She was on state aide, they said she is not covered, although she didn't ask why. I'm going to have her call back to see if she can figure out why.

She has a 2 year old that is adding to the stress, plus some personal stuff which was why we brought her out, to get away but it doesn't seem to be helping. Today is the 1st day her toddler is even taking to me, so I've not been able to help her much with her. Hopefully tonight will be easier and she'll be ok tonight...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
Just a note to let you all know I've merged all threads related to panic attacks, anxiety attacks and everything related to that (i.e. depression over Panic Attack Disorder, PTSD, treatement options, help, support, etc.) and stickied it so it can help as many people as possible.
Thanks but my post was medication related, not even a panic attack.
It's a shame it was locked to begin with

Old 01-22-2009, 11:09 AM
tao

I'm not the one who locked your thread.

I'm sorry I made what you feel was a mistake merging your thread with this one. I saw the subject and read your post and felt it belonged in the thread about anxiety and panic attacks (as that was what it seemed to be about. The opening sentences of the thread was
Quote:
"My niece is visiting us for a few weeks. She's been having serious panic attacks, the meds she was given are almost gone, and we just found out this morning, she does not have health insurance."
Thanks for letting me know about it. I'm new at modding this forum so I'm bound to make some mistakes. I'll try to be more vigilant about checking the full content of threads before I merge them (if I feel there's already a thread for that topic) in the future.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:41 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
I'm not the one who locked your thread.

I'm sorry I made what you feel was a mistake merging your thread with this one. I saw the subject and read your post and felt it belonged in the thread about anxiety and panic attacks (as that was what it seemed to be about. The opening sentences of the thread was .
Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel bad..
The locking of my post is a very sore spot for me since I was not able to come back to update it that it was not a panic attack but medication related. The mod at the time would not unlock it for me to update it.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
tao

I'm sorry you felt shut down. I'm not new to modding, or in fact to the running of messageboards - I've been the webmaster of my own messageboard (a tv/entertainment board) for the past seven years and have been a mod on several sites before that. So I don't intend to lock threads unless they violate the TOS of City-Data.com.

Most of the threads I merged were very old and completely inactive so hopefully no one will feel that they've been silenced or that their individual voice wasn't heard.

What I'm hoping is that as of now, people will post in the stickied threads if their post is about that topic, meaning if there's a topic about something already up please try to post new posts related to that topic in that thread; that way new posts will still be read and responded to and in fact may get more response and support because the people who've shared their stories, experiences and advice are sympathetic, open and eager to help others who have the same problems.

I feel the particular topics I stickied have become a valuable source for sharing support and information and they might help people see that they are not alone and that they have a place where they can vent, in a safe environment where they won't be judged, but instead, understood. In a way, those threads are like support groups and I hope everyone sees it that way and feels welcome to help and/or be helped.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:52 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Hi all. I have been dealing with a panic disorder for almost 20 years now off and on. The last 6 years it has been extreme. I have seen all kinds of doctors, taken different meds, I am still on a anti-anxiety and anti-depressant. Nothing has really helped. Right now, I am in a bad cycle, I am not sleeping, my mind races all night long. I feel my heart racing all the time. I feel really scared of I dont know what, but the feeling never leaves me. I am scared that I wont be able to keep fighting this forever. I feel so hopelss right now. I dont even live a life. I forgot what it is to smile and just be calm. I stay home 90% of the time. Cant go to the movies, dinner, the mall, it is so hard for me to be in a car. I havent been on the freeway in like 8 months. We are planning a move to New England this coming year for which I am very excited about. Maybe a calmer place might help. I dont know. People take for granted how lucky they are to just go to the movies. The thought of that makes me hyperventilate, and cry, and just feel soo scared. For people that dont have this disorder, I know it is hard to understand. But your life is just sad, scared, hopeless, all the time. It sounds silly to be afraid to drive, eat out or go shopping, but the fear is there all the time. Why? I dont know but like I said, I just feel like I am at my breaking point, this isnt a life anymore. Is there anyone that has had panic attacks to the severity that I do, and has gotten better? Please tell me there is some hope out there.

Suzet,

I used to have a panic disorder 20 years ago so badly that I too stayed home all the time, and had to go on disability. I couldn't even take the garbage out to the dumpster.

I got over mine, and cannot remember the last time I had a panick attack. I can tell you that praying and asking God for help was the major contributor to my success. I also had a few friends and family members that were wonderful support.

When I attempted to go out, I would have one of these friends or family members right there with me. I was terribly embarrassed to tell people what was happening to me, but I knew I needed their support. They went out with me, and when I felt panicky they were there to support me, even if it meant taking me home.

I decided to face my fears by taking baby steps. I started going out for just a few minutes, and then longer, and farther away, as I progresed. Eventually they subsided. They didn't go away as if someone turned off a light switch, but they DID go away. I now work full time, travel, go to concerts, and enjoy life much more.

I hope this helps, I will keep you in my prayers. If you need to talk to me privately, feel free to pm me any time.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:36 AM
tao

I haven't posted about my particular battle with this for a while but...I have to admit I'm in the middle of a huge relapse of PTSD and Panic attack disorder. I'm presently taking 5 mgs of Xanax a day, which is a ridiculously high amount but that's the amount I need to cope right now. I try really hard but I can't bring myself to leave the house. I've only gone out a few times over the past few months - three times to doctors, twice out to dinner with visiting in-laws over Xmas, and three times to the movies.

I'm supposed to have a new MRI today (ordered by my spinal doctor - a closed MRI with dye injected into me via an IV) because I've likely re-herniated my disc (//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...anagement.html) but I just can't face it so I rescheduled for later in the week. After the spinal surgery debacle and the anaesthesia nightmare I'm now really terrified of the IV. I will go to my appointment later this week though because I know I have to do it. I just can't today.

My husband has been amazing these past three years helping me get through all my different health nightmares but I fear he's losing patience with the panic disorder. When I balk at the idea of going out he sometimes gets mad - I know though that it's more from concern and fear that I'm going to psych myself out and permanently become a shut-in than it is him being sick of it all and angry.

Right now I'm just trying to hang on and endure this storm. Eventually this is going to pass and I just have to try to cope the best I can until things turn around.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:54 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,996 times
Quote:
I haven't posted about my particular battle with this for a while but...I have to admit I'm in the middle of a huge relapse of PTSD and Panic attack disorder. I'm presently taking 5 mgs of Xanax a day, which is a ridiculously high amount but that's the amount I need to cope right now. I try really hard but I can't bring myself to leave the house. I've only gone out a few times over the past few months - three times to doctors, twice out to dinner with visiting in-laws over Xmas, and three times to the movies.

I'm supposed to have a new MRI today (ordered by my spinal doctor - a closed MRI with dye injected into me via an IV) because I've likely re-herniated my disc (//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...anagement.html) but I just can't face it so I rescheduled for later in the week. After the spinal surgery debacle and the anaesthesia nightmare I'm now really terrified of the IV. I will go to my appointment later this week though because I know I have to do it. I just can't today.

My husband has been amazing these past three years helping me get through all my different health nightmares but I fear he's losing patience with the panic disorder. When I balk at the idea of going out he sometimes gets mad - I know though that it's more from concern and fear that I'm going to psych myself out and permanently become a shut-in than it is him being sick of it all and angry.

Right now I'm just trying to hang on and endure this storm. Eventually this is going to pass and I just have to try to cope the best I can until things turn around.

Tao,
You need a good support system. Hopefully your hubby will stop getting mad.

Try what I did, which was face my fears in baby steps. Also, remind yourself that nothing you fear is going to happen to you. I remember feeling really sick to my stomach, like I was going to throw up when I went out. When I did go out, I made sure I knew where the bathroom was. It was sort of a secuirty blanket. I never needed to use it though. You're going to make it through this, you need to keep telling yourself that.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 AM
tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Also, remind yourself that nothing you fear is going to happen to you.
Unfortunately that has not been the case, which is why I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - I've been through a lot of horrific things in the past several years (some of which I haven't discussed in this forum or to anyone but my very closest inner circle of friends and family) which has only increased my panic disorder. I appreciate your words of support but it's not just a simple case of me suffering from anxiety attacks/panic disorder. I'm dealing with a combination of PTSD, panic attack disorder, being on a hefty cocktail of narcotic pain management and anti-anxiety drugs for over two years (which has taken its toll physically, mentally and emotionally) plus a number of physical health issues: I've been in severe and unrelenting physical pain for over two years and can't even go grocery shopping without suffering from walking around. So part of my problem is it physically hurts to go out if it involves walking at all.

I've been seeing several doctors/surgeons for my physical health problems and hope this will all eventually be a thing of the past...but some of the damage to my body seems so permanent. I still have to find out the extent of it before I can proceed with either acceptance of my condition or working to get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health