Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 11:41 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

Lindsey, I am curious as to the religion of your parents? What was it?

Old 12-17-2007, 11:49 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Lindsey, I am curious as to the religion of your parents? What was it?
Seventh Day Adventist.

I attended Adventist schools until I was in my 20s, every aspect of my life was dominated by these people.

Now that I have escaped them and turned my back on not just the religion but the enclave of them that exists where I grew up, I feel like a real person, I feel FREE. I was constantly on edge where I used to live.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
I have never heard of Seventh Day Adventist. What are their beliefs?

Old 12-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I have never heard of Seventh Day Adventist. What are their beliefs?
Thats such a LONG list.

Their name indicates they believe Saturday is the Sabbath rather then Sunday.

They have a prophet named Ellen White who advocated a strong health message.

They are likely to push a woman to remain in a marriage even if there is abuse. They do however technically believe divorce is OK under certain circumstances but NOT remarriage even if the divorce was not your fault.

We were not allowed to go to the movies or musical theatre, reading things written by NON Adventists was not OK. All Literature was considered pointless fiction and there was HUGE problem when some of our teachers disagreed in the private school I was in.

Alot of Adventists are vegetarian based on the teachings of Ellen White but not all.

They don't believe in marrying someone you are "unequally yoked with" and use this part of the bible to justify condemning interracial marriage as well as marrying outside the faith.

They are very controlling and I a glad to be AWAY.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:21 PM

605 posts, read 865,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Their name indicates they believe Saturday is the Sabbath rather then Sunday.
When I lived in College Place, WA, they observed this Sabbath on Saturdays, as it was a Seventh Day Aventist town.
What is the issue on caffeine with this religion? Is it similar to the Mormons?
Is this religion as strict as Mormonism?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
When I lived in College Place, WA, they observed this Sabbath on Saturdays, as it was a Seventh Day Aventist town.
What is the issue on caffeine with this religion? Is it similar to the Mormons?
Is this religion as strict as Mormonism?
Not drinking caffeine is another part of the health message they observe from Ellen White.
Not ALL Adventists abstain from drinking caffeine however.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:03 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I get panic attacks from 2 specific sources- flying and Christians. I have no idea why I have a phobia of flying. From 2 months old, I've been on planes and ALWAYS been terrified though I did have my worst experience about 5 years ago when coming back from a high school program for the first time on a return flight alone. I fly out on Thursday and for the past week I've been obsessively checking weather.com (because of the snow and fear of delays) and having intermittent panic attacks for the past week which has culminated into full fledged constant panic attacks tonight and will be the same all of tomorrow. In fact, although I finished my finals this morning, I had to give myself a full day and a half before I can fly or else I would have completely bombed my final today. As it was, I had a panic attack in the middle of Monday's final and luckily my professor is my advisor and also a good friend so he took me out of the room, got me water and chocolate, and tried to calm me down (thinking I was upset about the exam). I don't mind people knowing how afraid I am of flying because people tend to not discuss bad aspects of flying with me if they know how terrified I am, but I HATE people seeing me when having a flying induced panic attack. Right now I feel like I'm practically having a heart attack because my chest is so tight from nerves and I've been crying about it all night.

With Christians, I was harassed, attacked, and emotionally abused essentially by my peers and my friend's parents for most of my formative years for being Jewish. Based on those attacks, I get panic attacks when people try to "witness" me or even sound like they might try. I also get panicy when the door rings because the door to door people are the worst (though where I grew up, it was the Southern Baptists, NEVER any other groups). They used to push me aside and walk right into my home and comment on our menorah and such when I was in high school and still living at home. The last Christian induced panic attack was when meeting my boyfriend's mom on her and my bf's stepdad's Adventist ranch in Kansas. At first it seemed like it would be fine and they were really nice people, but then his mom started asking me all these questions about Judaism. I'm sure she was just being friendly, but it put me on the defensive and when my boyfriend saw the color totally drain from my face, he was able to change the topic.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:09 AM

I am so sorry you have gone through that. I have a similar reaction to the door to door people, I feel watched and pursued by them. I can't STAND it when people come to my house.

I grew up in a VERY tight Adventist community, they watched every step I made, even once it was clear I no longer celebrated the religion. Anything I did was going to get back to my overbearing family and I would catch hell about it. They would come out to my house, my brother was the screamer, my Mother had this certain tone she would take when she would say we had to sit down and have a serious talk.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:12 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Not drinking caffeine is another part of the health message they observe from Ellen White.
Not ALL Adventists abstain from drinking caffeine however.
Wow, this is why I dont follow religon. No one has the right to tell you you need to live a certain way. To me, that is all BS. I have my own relationship with God. I dont want someone telling me to not do this or that, or I have to think this way, or act that way. God wants us to live a good life and be kind to one another. We wont go to hell for drinking a cup of coffee. To me, that is just a form or mind control. Who are these people that come up with this stuff? And then we wonder why there are so many hurt and confused people in the world. It really makes me mad!! I could rant and rave about this but this is for panic attacks so I wont. But I do feel really bad for the kids that have to grow up in these weird religous homes. Look what it does to you when you become an adult and start to have your own feelings and beliefs....

charolastra00, I am so sorry you are having a hard time with the panic right now. I totally understand. I havent been on a plane in 16 years. I just cant bring myself to do it. The fact that you can do it, says a lot about you as a person. You are stronger than you are giving yourself credit for. I know the symptoms you are having and they are the worst. All I can tell you about that is try to calm down, watch the weather channel if it helps, and just watch your breathing. Know that what you are feeling, isnt going to hurt you. It just makes you feel crappy. I dont know if you take any meds for your panic attacks, but if you do, take them until you get to your destination. It is all you can really do. I wish you good luck on your flight, I am sure you will be fine, when it is all said and done. The religous thing, I dont know what to say about that.....I dont like it when people try to talk religon with me either. What happend to you is just another example of why I dont follow an organized religon. What I do works for me, but not for everyone. u Good luck to you, and Happy Holidays...

Last edited by Suzet2262; 12-19-2007 at 03:27 AM..

Old 12-19-2007, 07:53 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,545 times
charolastra00, I understand. One of my many phobias is being on a plane. I went 8 years (from May 1994 - November 2002) not flying anywhere because I was so scared. I grew up flying and traveling my whole life but the fear really kicked in when I was almost in a plane crash. Since then I've been really scared to fly. The only recommendation I can give you is ask your doctor for some valium, Xanax, or some form of anti-anxiety pills to take before the trip, during the actual flights, and during the trip/vacation itself (if you have any panic attacks in anticipation of flying back home). My doctor gave me small, travel-related prescriptions of Valium since 2002 whenever I had to fly somewhere and back - it really does help. My husband also had major fear of flying - he hadn't ever been on a plane until we met in 2002 so his doctor gave him some Valium too and he takes it when we fly. It's helped him tremendously.

I've documented my situation pretty thoroughly in this thread (and other related health threads). Currently I'm taking 3-4 Percocet daily and on bad days 1 or 2 Flexeril (for my very large and painful herniated disc and sciatica) and recently I've begun taking a regular prescription of 1 mg Xanax (3-4 a day depending on what's going on and if I have to go out or expose myself to high stress situations) for my anxiety/panic disorder.

I was against taking drugs but in the end it's what's helped me. Since I started taking the Xanax regularly (about a month now), all my heart attack and /or "heart condition" symptoms have stopped - no more feeling like I can't breathe and that I'm about to faint, no more heart palpitations, stabbing chest pain, "heart squeezes" (the feeling like my heart is suddenly being squeezed followed by irregular heartbeats), no more tingling, numbness and pain down my left arm, no more crushing chest pain (where it feels like something heavy is sitting on my chest), no more high blood pressure, etc. I've also stopped feeling like I was about to die - for a month or two before I began taking the Xanax regularly I was starting to get this really strong feeling that I'd be dead within a couple of years. It really scared me. Another positive the Xanax has done for me - my depression has been lifting. Things are turning around for me now and I feel so much better. it's like the fog is lifting and I see the light now!

The Xanax has been a miracle, at least for me. I still feel anxiety and panic at times and my phobias certainly haven't gone away but I can cope better - I'm calmer now and feel more able to handle stress and anxiety so it doesn't turn into a full blown attack - and a lot of the physical panic attack symptoms have stopped.

Please remember, my fellow panic/anxiety attack sufferers, that the cause might be psychological but the reaction is truly physical. It can't be good for the body to endure these panic attacks, especially if they're frequent. Your blood pressure rises, your heart races and palpitates, you hyperventilate, etc. Do whatever it takes to help yourself. Do yoga, meditate, exercise, take medications if you need it, take vitamins, eat healthy - or do all of the above - do whatever works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health