U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:21 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,326,413 times

Advertisements

How long does it take to get addicted to Xanax? My doctor gave me about 20 1mg Xanax. I usually cut it up in 4's, because when I take half I talk like I am drunk and I pass out. I usually take it before bed, but I am afraid I will get addicted to it but it helps my anxiety and blood pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 05:31 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,253,429 times
If you're taking 1/4 mg once at night, you should be fine. Even a single half, once a day, is not likely to addict you. If, however, you are taking 1/4 in the morning, and 1/4 late in the afternoon, then what you're doing is keeping the drug in your system throughout the day. This is where it can get dicey, in people with dependency problems. Their bodies get accustomed to having the drug in them. And then they start building a tolerance, which means you need to take just one extra little bit per dose, or take an extra dose later in the day...and eventually you have a full blown dependency.

A 1/4 milligram once per day isn't enough to build up in your system to the point where you'd need to worry about dependency though. Also, you don't have to take it every night; and unless your doctor specified, you don't necessarily have to take it at night at all. Personally, I take 1/4 per night, and on days when I'm expecting my boss to be in one of her "moods" again, I take 1/4 just before I head out the door. It doesn't kick in til I'm already there. By the end of the day, I realize that I didn't get another stress headache. That's the only reason I know it works.

Do remember though, that if you decide you don't want to take Xanax anymore, to discuss it with your doctor and have him wean you off. If you take it regularly and stop suddenly, you could end up with anxiety attacks and sleeplessness for a week or two. You don't want to go there

Old 07-31-2010, 06:37 PM

26,579 posts, read 30,872,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
How long does it take to get addicted to Xanax? My doctor gave me about 20 1mg Xanax. I usually cut it up in 4's, because when I take half I talk like I am drunk and I pass out. I usually take it before bed, but I am afraid I will get addicted to it but it helps my anxiety and blood pressure.
Xanax gives more of a "high" than some other anti-anxiety medications. Ask about clonazepam instead.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:40 PM

ALL anti-anxiety medications will give the user a "high" you take enough. A 1/4 milligram of Xanax is unlikely to cause any noticeable side effects at all, let alone a high. As the OP said, it's just enough to take the edge off. Clonazepam (Klonopin is the brand name) has the same side effects, and in fact, hallucinations are among the *common* side effects of proper dosage of clonazepam. Withdrawal and tolerance levels are about the same, however Xanax's primary use is as an anti-anxiety medication, while clonazepam is primarily used as an anti-seizure medication. Klonopin is used for anxiety, however it is a tertiary useage and is indicated for short-term useage only. Xanax can be taken long term as long as due respect is given to the potential of tolerance.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:02 PM

1/4 dosage I feel nothing, not even sure it's working. 1/2 dose I feel it a lot! I have a friend who has been taking klonopin for years, she takes it before bed and sometimes in the mornings.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 PM

You're not taking 1/4 dose. You're taking 1/4 mg. 1/4 mg is a typical starting dosage. I don't know why your doctor prescribed 4 times the typical starting dosage for you. But, with Xanax, the goal isn't to feel a high at all. It's to feel simply - not as stressed as you'd be if you hadn't taken it. That's all. That is the intended goal of taking Xanax. If that's all you're experiencing, then you're taking exactly the right dose. It is a full dose, for you. And that full dose, is 1/4 mg. I would check with your doctor if I were you and ask him why he wanted you to take more.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,795,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
1/4 dosage I feel nothing, not even sure it's working. 1/2 dose I feel it a lot! I have a friend who has been taking klonopin for years, she takes it before bed and sometimes in the mornings.
I would think for someone just beginning to use Xanax, .25mg is enough. I've taken Xanax for several years and depending on my anxiety level will take between .25mg and .5mg per day. If I took a 1mg Xanax it would knock me out too.

Stay with the lower dosage if possible. You should not feel "high". You should feel calm. Take it about 20-30 minutes before bedtime.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:42 PM

I was given an IV push of ativan and script for Xanax 1mg 3 day just for a short amount of time.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,588,579 times
I agree - klonopin/clonazepam is much better...

Xanax has a lot of abuse potential. I know too many people who can't get off them and end up totally dependent, or in psych wards.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:35 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,630,711 times
I was just recently prescribed 0.5 mg Xanax along with 5 mg Bystolic to control my anxiety induced hypertension. Depending on my level of stress at a particular moment, I may need 0.25 or 0.5. For me, on school days (I'm a highschool teacher), I take 0.25 before I leave the house, 0.25 about mid morning, 0.25 at lunch, and 0.25 about mid afternoon. But, I only take these dosages if I feel my heart pounding or get that swimmy, panic attack feeling in my head. I'm hoping I won't need to take as much during Christmas break and can give the Bystolic time to build up to a therapeutic level. Good luck. I realize this is an older post, but I hope you feel better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health