Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 03:30 PM

101 posts, read 297,138 times

Advertisements

I had a total joint replacement on my right knee on 08/11/10. I reacted badly to all the pain meds they gave me in the hospital including a nasty 12 hour hallucination. I now feel pretty depressed and often anxious and cry frequently. The doctor gave me anti depressants but life seems like such a challenge right now. How long does it take for this get better? Is this a fairly typical reaction to surgery? How do you cope with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 07:16 AM

23,804 posts, read 33,292,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christylou View Post
I had a total joint replacement on my right knee on 08/11/10. I reacted badly to all the pain meds they gave me in the hospital including a nasty 12 hour hallucination. I now feel pretty depressed and often anxious and cry frequently. The doctor gave me anti depressants but life seems like such a challenge right now. How long does it take for this get better? Is this a fairly typical reaction to surgery? How do you cope with it?
You're not the only one that had a reaction to pain meds. My hub was sent home coming off of morphine; puking really bad. The best thing to do (if this happens again) is to have someone with you who can be your advocate. Most people don't need the amount of medication they give.

As far as the depression - a lot of people have a hard time after surgery because they are not healing fast enough or whatever. You have to get it in your mind that you are not going to heal over night & that it will take time.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,623,921 times
I've had 6 major surgeries and never felt that way afterwards. I was always happy to have had the problem fixed and most times I was out of pain (the pain I had been having) except for the incision site.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,624,240 times
You could also be having a reaction from the anesthesia. There are some drugs used in anesthesia such as Ketamine that can also cause hallucinations.

It took my MIL about 3 months to come out of her drug stupor after her total knee replacement. She found it difficult to comprehend simple tasks she had done hundreds of times before. She couldn't write a check or balance her checkbook, decision making was a chore, and she was depressed and cried all the time.

Hang in there. Just take one day at a time.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:43 PM

101 posts, read 297,138 times
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I feel a little better yesterday and today. I absolutely expect myself to bounce right back from such things. I know, not realistic.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:04 PM

23,804 posts, read 33,292,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christylou View Post
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I feel a little better yesterday and today. I absolutely expect myself to bounce right back from such things. I know, not realistic.
It is not realistic as everyone heals different.
Stop being so hard on yourself.
My hub expected to be healed instantly after cancer treatment. Took him months. I know not the same but you still have to heal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health