Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:04 PM

235 posts, read 355,859 times

Advertisements

Take it from someone who has been on ad's and is still paying for it: taking an antidepressant can turn a temporary problem or plight into a longterm, chronic, painful existence. Even if they work initially, they are not meant for long term use, which leads to tolerance and a need to either increase dosage or switch meds. It then can turn into a med merry go round where your life becomes completely absorbed by an "illness" your doctor is going to tell you needs to be treated with meds for life.

DON'T make that mistake. Stop eating processed crap food (that crap is toxic to your body and leads to many troubles, mental and physical), exercise regularly, and practice stress management (progressive muscle relaxation). Don't turn a temporary plight into something larger. Get out while you still can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
I just started taking it a week ago.. the first few days I felt buzzy and tired, but not anymore.. as far as weight gain... i eat FAR less then I did before. I excercise, i eat healthy, i meditate, etc... I won't be on this long term but it is a great kicker for right now. I think that in some cases these types of drugs are beneficial but in others they are the cure all it seems to many physicians. A young lady I knew went to see her doctor because of pain in her hands.. the doctor wanted to giver her anti-depressants... another young lady went because of menstrual problems - same thing... anti depressants..

I totally agree with the therapy.. drugs are not the end all answer and need to be coupled with some good therapy to help one deal with the ups and downs of life...

Old 09-14-2010, 03:08 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
Take it from someone who has been on ad's and is still paying for it: taking an antidepressant can turn a temporary problem or plight into a longterm, chronic, painful existence. Even if they work initially, they are not meant for long term use, which leads to tolerance and a need to either increase dosage or switch meds. It then can turn into a med merry go round where your life becomes completely absorbed by an "illness" your doctor is going to tell you needs to be treated with meds for life.

DON'T make that mistake. Stop eating processed crap food (that crap is toxic to your body and leads to many troubles, mental and physical), exercise regularly, and practice stress management (progressive muscle relaxation). Don't turn a temporary plight into something larger. Get out while you still can.
I do believe a lot of what you are saying. I have cut out most processed foods long ago and I excercise on a regular basis. I just wasn't getting any better....I'm very lucky that I didn't have to stay at my job and can look for something that I don't feel so attacked

Old 09-14-2010, 03:59 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
And there are other things in life than taking drugs. Medications have side effects and can be addictive, they are not a great cure all for people's issues in life.

Anxiety and depression can be organic but there is plenty of evidence suggesting they are situational and other types of therapy can be just as effective.

Of course interpersonal therapy can be beneficial for depression as well as working on expanding one's social network. However, depression is a disease. You would not tell a diabetic not to take insulin but everyone feels like they can tell a very depressed person to just eat healthier food. Most depressed people are lacking in serotonin and if there were lab test done which are not done by the way because they are too invasive you cold clinically see these low serotonin levels.
Many AD's work by allowing the brain to hold on to the serotonin thus alleviating one's depression.
If you have had 3 or more depressive episodes your risk of going off meds and relapsing is 90%. Please stop making depressed people feel worse than they already do by suggesting that they can get over their illness by using the technique of mind over matter or just by eating better and exercising. These are all good suggestion IF they are combined with the appropriate meds.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Of course interpersonal therapy can be beneficial for depression as well as working on expanding one's social network. However, depression is a disease. You would not tell a diabetic not to take insulin but everyone feels like they can tell a very depressed person to just eat healthier food. Most depressed people are lacking in serotonin and if there were lab test done which are not done by the way because they are too invasive you cold clinically see these low serotonin levels.
Many AD's work by allowing the brain to hold on to the serotonin thus alleviating one's depression.
If you have had 3 or more depressive episodes your risk of going off meds and relapsing is 90%. Please stop making depressed people feel worse than they already do by suggesting that they can get over their illness by using the technique of mind over matter or just by eating better and exercising. These are all good suggestion IF they are combined with the appropriate meds.
The chemical imbalance theory has never had a shred of evidence to back it up. You cannot test for neurotransmitter levels in the brain other than through autopsy. Testing for levels in the gut has no say on what is going on in you brain. Ask any psychiatrist to back this theory up and they won't be able to do it.

Also, studies show that antidepressants the majority of the time are no more effective than a placebo in the short term... and are far worse in the long term. Any wonder why disability due to mental issues has increased so much in the last 50 years? Hmm.... conveniently coincides with the release of antidepressant drugs and fixes.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:25 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
The chemical imbalance theory has never had a shred of evidence to back it up. You cannot test for neurotransmitter levels in the brain other than through autopsy. Testing for levels in the gut has no say on what is going on in you brain. Ask any psychiatrist to back this theory up and they won't be able to do it.

Also, studies show that antidepressants the majority of the time are no more effective than a placebo in the short term... and are far worse in the long term. Any wonder why disability due to mental issues has increased so much in the last 50 years? Hmm.... conveniently coincides with the release of antidepressant drugs and fixes.

It would have to be tested though PET scans and very invasive and painful tests. It can be done but Dr's only do these tests in lab studies.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:25 PM

Why Antidepressants Are No Better Than Placebos - Newsweek

Antidepressants No Better Than Placebo?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:

Good post, I tried to rep you but I have to spread the love.

I hate this instant gratitude society where popping a pill cures all. It doesn't. I work with many people with anxiety, depression and mental illnesses and I know for a fact that medication is over rated and doesn't work in many, many cases.

There are things you can do to help yourself without resorting to drugs.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:28 PM

That is simply not true. Levels can be tested for in the blood, but beyond killing someone and opening up their skull, you can't test levels in the brain.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM

I know most will just overlook this post, but I'd recommend the following book for anyone wanting to get a grasp on what the studies really say, and how these studies are convoluted and often times cherry picked. Extremely eye opening, yet easy to read.

"Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America" by Robert Whitaker.

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidem.../dp/0307452417
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health