Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,322,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Awfully smug, aren't you? So very assured of your own superiority that you feel qualified to sit in judgment of what someone else is doing. Well...bully for you.

"What's wrong with that," could as easily be written as "Why shouldn't someone have the right to do whatever the heck they want, including make poor decisions." Or, would you object to phrasing it that way too because for you, the issue isn't what they're doing so much as your right to feel superior to them.

He's not being smug at all. It is a well known fact that smoking can kill you and smokers are willingly subjecting themselves to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 05:38 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,478,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
He's not being smug at all. It is a well known fact that smoking can kill you and smokers are willingly subjecting themselves to this.

So? Is that justification for sitting in judgment? If it is, that's something we can ALL practice.

Wouldn't that make for a lovely society?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,743,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I have had numerous jobs, been to a number of clubs and bars, and been around the country mostly, and one thing that seizes to amaze me is why is smoking so prevalent among young Caucasian women. I am not singling them out, it is just a turn off to many of my guy friends who would date white women. However more times than not they smoke, are social smokers, or have smoked in the past.

Seriously I work in an environment that is fairly young, and I will tell you all the white women who work with me smoke and they are probably under the age of 30, yet they do not look under the age of 30 more times than not. The women from other ethnic backgrounds do not and they look a whole lot younger. I see this same pattern in almost every new job I have had, class I have taken, or just simply observing.

Why is it like that? I know there are women of all races who smoke, but I think for the younger generation they would catch on and understand why smoking is bad, and understand the consequences if they engage in the behavior. Just by observation it appears women from other ethnic groups have gotten the message, yet young Caucasian women have not. Why???
when you're at the clubs and bars--are you drinking alcoholic beverages?
Just curious
Seen the statistics on what alcohol does to your body?

Not sure why white women were singled out but mostly what disturbs me is why anyone cares what anyone else does to their own bodies----that always makes me think,"why do you care? Are you that judgemental and or perfect?"

Old 11-02-2010, 03:27 PM

6,893 posts, read 22,460,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
when you're at the clubs and bars--are you drinking alcoholic beverages?
Just curious
Seen the statistics on what alcohol does to your body?

Not sure why white women were singled out but mostly what disturbs me is why anyone cares what anyone else does to their own bodies----that always makes me think,"why do you care? Are you that judgemental and or perfect?"
There are too many people in the world today anyway; who am I to care what you do to yourself? I don't have any money so what you do won't cost me anything.

I wanna see those sitting in judgement texting on their cell phone while driving.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:33 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,697,673 times
I thought we (the united states) had dropped the smoking habit. I rarely see white women smoking myself. What city do you live?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:55 PM

4,321 posts, read 5,116,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I thought we (the united states) had dropped the smoking habit. I rarely see white women smoking myself. What city do you live?
We've been stuck at 20% for years now, which is pretty darn high.

I say the OP is closer to being right than wrong. One big factor IMO is babies, white women are more likely to think they can smoke till pregnant, then they'll give it up.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:50 PM

179 posts, read 564,038 times
Well call me old fashioned, but I too, think it is up to the individual to decide if he or she wants to smoke. I do criticize the government once again for getting involved in our private lives again by dictating where or where we can not do it. To actually tell you you can not be found on the street in public, or even in the privacy of your own home, is stretching their authority a bit too far.
They should be worrying a bit more about the country and all the problems that they have created, that give us individuals the stress that generally cause us to light up.
On a more serious note though. I have smoked for over 40 years. I stopped one day, of my own decision. I never lit another cigarette for 2 1/2 years. And then one day I just said the heck with it and I decided I want to smoke again. And now have been smoking for 2 years again. It is just like anything else you have to control your own actions. Your body is in your control, just cause you want something does not mean you have to have it. I just did not smoke and the longer I didn't, the less I wanted it. I still was around it everyday at work, home and any gatherings I attended. I did not expect anyone else to change, just because I made a decision.
Now for the cancer issue, it has long been known that cigarettes can be hazardous to your health. For many years that was printed on the side of the pack.
The tobacco companies printed it in every which way they were advised to. And people still decided to smoke. Everyday their were people trying cigarettes for the first time. It didn't matter what the packs said. People have the right to make their own choices, and they did. And they still do They have the RIGHT.
As for people having the right to sue Big Tobacco, I think is absurd. To sue the company just because people have decided to smoke is just another way of people blaming others because of wrong choices they have made in the past. In a round about way it's like spilling your HOT coffee, and blaming the restaurant.
(Only with a more devastating result)
I can only think if they can continue to get away with this, and we continue to put blame on everything but human judgement, and can sue everything and everyone to make money from a tragedy, and succeed at it. No one will have to take responsibility for anything..
Someone kills someone in a DUI, throw throw the driver in jail and sue Bacardi, because that's what he was drinking
No it is not a ethnic thing, or a class thing, or even a society thing, it's simply a choice, a choice that people have been doing, or deciding not to do, for many years. And big tobacco had in the past, put big money into our economy for many many years in a lot of different ways, including their advertising, promoting sports and everything. And back then when I started a pack was 35 cents.
The only thing they put money into now is lawyers and peoples bank accounts. And we foot the bill, with the price of our cigarettes. Tell me government doesn't dictate our lives, it all trickles down hill!!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
We've been stuck at 20% for years now, which is pretty darn high.

I say the OP is closer to being right than wrong. One big factor IMO is babies, white women are more likely to think they can smoke till pregnant, then they'll give it up.

I quit when I was pregnant, but then I went back to it, it was my choice.
That is what our society doesn't get. We do have a choice and should not be told after over 150 years of being able to choose, that we can't.
If we can read the label on the side of the pack, and still decided to "lite up" it was our decision and we should not hold the manufacturer responsible. And we should not think that we can continue to do so. Put the blame where it belongs. On the smoker. And like I said in my other thread, If someone dies from alcohol poisoning, and he was an alcoholic for years and drank rum, does the family sue Bacardi???? Because of the advertisements, commercials and Billboards???

Old 11-02-2010, 05:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,624,314 times
Statistically, your assumption is totally wrong. Most young white women do not smoke. Something like 20% of women 18-44 smoke. There is plenty of data which you can easily google these statistics from a number of places, one of which is the Center for Disease Control.

If you live in an area where most of the young women are white, or if you work in offices where the mjajority of women are white, then the smokers will appear to be all white. If you have one Asian colleague in your office, and that person is a nonsmoker, then "all Asians" in your office are non-smokers. If the Asian person smokes, then all Asians you work with are smokers. Not an accurate sample set, and factually it's way off track.

20yrsinBranson hit the nail on the head. It's largely a class thing. There are statistics on smoking, age, race, income, etc. They are easily available.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
To a 13 year old part of it is going against the establishment...they don't think about 5 or 10 or 20 years down the road...they just want to go against what their elder's have passed on to them. It's peer pressure too and a way to fit in. A 13 year old isn't thinking past today or tomorrow or next year and if they have undiagnosed mental cognition or other abnormalities the will is greater to go against norm. As adults that is hard for us to comprehend but if you will put yourself in the shoes of that 13 year old you might understand better. Most smokers I have known started at about that age which is when I started too. Now of course, a 13 year old will have a harder time buying cigarettes than I did when I was 13.

Smokers also don't smell it like non-smokers do either which is probably part of the reason they keep doing it. As a new non-smoker with one in the house, it smells awful but until I gave them up I didn't notice it like I do now.

I can understand, When I decided to stop, and did for 2and a half years, about 3 years ago I noticed it too because I still was around smokers all the time. It really did stink, be I put up with it.
And yes, when I grew up and was 13, cigarettes were a lot easier to acquire. You just went to a machine back then, 45cents, a pack of matches, and the machine gave you a nickle change back from your 2 quarters. Just had to stop at the gas station on the way home from Jr. High School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health