Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:26 PM

23,070 posts, read 28,795,075 times

Advertisements

Unrelated, or related, the suicide rate is much lower for ethnic groups than whites. I saw the statistics recently and was surprised, 12 per 100,000 for whites, and only 6 for blacks, 5 for Hispanics. And I had thought, all along, it would have been the opposite, ethnic groups working harder to survive.

Perhaps smoking follows these same lines.

Myself, I believe firmly in pendulum swings. And I believe it's only a matter of time before the pendulum swings back again.

And what will propel it all? Research! Every day, every week you read some new research contradicting someone's else's research. Last week, in England?
Researchers claim alcohol is more dangerous than cocaine.

My guess, it will start out gradually. Some researcher claims there's nothing unhealthy about having one cigarette after each meal, or one cigarette while having a drink, and so on and so forth.

Don't throw out those ashtrays just yet! New confusing, contradicting research is always on the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 10:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Unrelated, or related, the suicide rate is much lower for ethnic groups than whites. I saw the statistics recently and was surprised, 12 per 100,000 for whites, and only 6 for blacks, 5 for Hispanics. And I had thought, all along, it would have been the opposite, ethnic groups working harder to survive.

Perhaps smoking follows these same lines.

Myself, I believe firmly in pendulum swings. And I believe it's only a matter of time before the pendulum swings back again.

And what will propel it all? Research! Every day, every week you read some new research contradicting someone's else's research. Last week, in England?

My guess, it will start out gradually. Some researcher claims there's nothing unhealthy about having one cigarette after each meal, or one cigarette while having a drink, and so on and so forth.

Don't throw out those ashtrays just yet! New confusing, contradicting research is always on the way!
There NEVER has been research showing smoking cigarettes to be safe and there never WILL be...

There has never been a "pendulum swing" on smoking....its been a slow and steady decline ever since the surgeon general's warning first came out.

No contradictory research, if anything, every year there is more evidence of the harm tobacco causes to other organ systems.

Feel free to throw out those ashtrays....

Old 11-03-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There NEVER has been research showing smoking cigarettes to be safe and there never WILL be...

There has never been a "pendulum swing" on smoking....its been a slow and steady decline ever since the surgeon general's warning first came out.

No contradictory research, if anything, every year there is more evidence of the harm tobacco causes to other organ systems.

Feel free to throw out those ashtrays....
You completely missed the boat on chemical-free American Spirit cigarettes and those that roll their own with natural tobacco.

That will be the starting point: Natural tobacco only. One or two or three or four or five a day ain't gonna do no harm!

Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,178,118 times
Quote:
You completely missed the boat on chemical-free American Spirit cigarettes and those that roll their own with natural tobacco.

That will be the starting point: Natural tobacco only. One or two or three or four or five a day ain't gonna do no harm!
I don't think you ever got on the boat...

"Chemical free" tobacco is an oxymoron...

There is no such thing as a safe cigarette....whether you roll them or not, 'natural' or not...doesn't matter...

Feel free to cite all those studies that show 5 cigs a day or less do no harm...

There is NO safe exposure limit...NONE...

Old 11-03-2010, 05:09 PM

523 posts, read 3,797,809 times
Quote:
except, the problem with research, even good research, is the spin the media puts on it. to the individual, alcohol isn't more dangerous than cocaine, but on a population level, it may be, because of it's widespread use.

it worries me greatly that many members of the public are so heavily bombarded with media messages which may once have been rooted in good science, but spun around and around so many times to make a good story, that people are simply turning their backs (to their own loss) on what the evidence really shows, to the point where people think things like "well, one day soon, they will probably be a new piece of research which shows that smoking is good or you, so i may as well just carry on".

we have lost our way quite terribly, and that sadest thing is that people's health will suffer unnecessarily.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:30 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,315,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So? Is that justification for sitting in judgment? If it is, that's something we can ALL practice.

Wouldn't that make for a lovely society?

Fine. Continue to destroy your health smoking. Have a great day.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I have had numerous jobs, been to a number of clubs and bars, and been around the country mostly, and one thing that seizes to amaze me is why is smoking so prevalent among young Caucasian women. I am not singling them out, it is just a turn off to many of my guy friends who would date white women. However more times than not they smoke, are social smokers, or have smoked in the past.

Seriously I work in an environment that is fairly young, and I will tell you all the white women who work with me smoke and they are probably under the age of 30, yet they do not look under the age of 30 more times than not. The women from other ethnic backgrounds do not and they look a whole lot younger. I see this same pattern in almost every new job I have had, class I have taken, or just simply observing.

Why is it like that? I know there are women of all races who smoke, but I think for the younger generation they would catch on and understand why smoking is bad, and understand the consequences if they engage in the behavior. Just by observation it appears women from other ethnic groups have gotten the message, yet young Caucasian women have not. Why???
To be honest, I see lots of men and women smoking regardless of race and or sex.

I will have no sympathy for when these people get sick due to smoking.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Quote:

There is no such thing as a safe cigarette....whether you roll them or not, 'natural' or not...doesn't matter...

Feel free to cite all those studies that show 5 cigs a day or less do no harm...

I agree with Bluedevilz.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:

At this point in time, anti-smoking witchhunters are on such a roll, that even if they created the safest cigarette ever invented, you could never circumvent
blindness, deafness and tunnel vision.

It's a losing battle.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 PM

179 posts, read 563,103 times
Quote:

I must agree, If every time you turn around you believe what you hear, about research, and the new discovery that has found that this is bad for you, that is going to cause cancer, eating this will do that or what ever,
we will all soon be walking around enclosed in glass bubbles, breathing purified air pumped in through sterilized equipment, eating boiled vegetables. and washing it down with Soy MILK.
I grew up, with lead paint, no bike helmets, no A/C, mercury thermometers, and no hand sanitizer, you had the great outdoors to rely on to help your body to build up immunities to allot of the things that people today, do have a chance to fight off. And they catch everything out there!!!!
They need to focus on the big picture and leave the smokers alone, heck the people that are making the big fuss about smoking, (like it's the worst problem our country is dealing with, are probably the ex-smokers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health