Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:28 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,173,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
At this point in time, anti-smoking witchhunters are on such a roll, that even if they created the safest cigarette ever invented, you could never circumvent
blindness, deafness and tunnel vision.

It's a losing battle.
The losing battle involves fighting through all the rationalizations smokers make to continue their habit...

Personally, I don't care if someone chooses to smoke or not as long as its not near me.

Its your life, your health, you choose to destroy it that's your problem, not mine.

But stop with the poor me syndrome and stop trying to convince yourself that the evidence against smoking is somehow "made up"

It isn't....

There will NEVER be a "safe" way to burn a carcinogenic plant and inhale the smoke and particulate matter into your lungs...NEVER

It really is common sense and there has never been a study showing this practice to be safe and there never will be....NEVER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Unfortunately, I work in a long-term care facility, and you'd think that would scare this 40-year smoker into quitting. Not so, as I join 70-80-90 YO's in the smoking courtyard at night on my breaks, who have been smoking a lot longer than I have.

You simply can't generalize. In many cases it's the genes, g-e-n-e-s, baby!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,860,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Because its wonderful? Seriously, I still miss smoking. I plan on lighting up when I'm 70 at which point who cares?

Meanwhile I suspect that smoking helps young deal with all the stresses of being a young woman.

Makes your brain feel more alert
Makes you feel more self-confident
gives you something to do with your hands etc. when nervous
Weight

I don't think people realize that no matter how brazen most young women may act - its just that, an act. Somewhere underneath all that tough act is someone who's sort of scared, insecure, trying to figure out who to trust and who not.
Sure it helps with weight, because emphysema and lung cancer does make you skinny eventually. Stupid reason to smoke or ever picking it up...duh.

If you want to do something with your hands, pick up a hobby like sewing or needlepoint. And if you go out, play pool or darts. Those are healthier things to do with your hands than picking up a "cancer stick".

And try exercising more often. That is a healthier way to be self-confident and the brain more alert. It's better.

If feeling unsecured, a cigarette is not the one to be trusted to. Probably need some counseling if you're feeling that way. But I would never trust a cigarette.

Last edited by LinaJo76; 11-04-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-04-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I work in a long-term care facility, and you'd think that would scare this 40-year smoker into quitting. Not so, as I join 70-80-90 YO's in the smoking courtyard at night on my breaks, who have been smoking a lot longer than I have.

Yeah, but alcoholism and drug addiction are in the genes too. But you can stop any addiction. Same thing with smoking. You can quit.

Instead of going to smoke on your break, try taking some walks around the area before you go back to work. Walking (or any type of exercise on your break) is better for you than the "cancer stick".

Old 11-04-2010, 07:48 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,384,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
It seems like smoking is also a habit or activity that is passed down in the family. Most everyone I know that smokes has a parent that smokes. I've seen quite a few young teens smoking with their mom with them as well.
Both my parents smoked, and yet my sister and I never tried smoking and we're in our 40s

Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,384,045 times
Quote:

One daytime talk show finally managed to get teen girls to stop smoking. They didn't list any health risk. They used a computer software that takes a photo of the girl and then ages the face based upon long term smoking which usually increases in the number of cigarettes as you age. The chemical damage done to the face is most apparent around the mouth where women get verticle wrinkles around the lips and folds and sagging cheeks near the mouth.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The losing battle involves fighting through all the rationalizations smokers make to continue their habit...

Personally, I don't care if someone chooses to smoke or not as long as its not near me.

Its your life, your health, you choose to destroy it that's your problem, not mine.

But stop with the poor me syndrome and stop trying to convince yourself that the evidence against smoking is somehow "made up"

It isn't....

There will NEVER be a "safe" way to burn a carcinogenic plant and inhale the smoke and particulate matter into your lungs...NEVER

It really is common sense and there has never been a study showing this practice to be safe and there never will be....NEVER
AMEN!!! You are absolutely correct!! AMEN!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,847,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
To be honest, I see lots of men and women smoking regardless of race and or sex.

I will have no sympathy for when these people get sick due to smoking.
The only problem is the smokers don't mind taking all the asthmatics down with them as they don't give it a second thought how their smoking even outdoors causes asthma attacks or how it creates asthma in their own children. I have a dad and several uncles to thank for my asthma.

That said the original post wasn't about disliking smokers its about a friend who told her his pool of illegible dates was dramatically reduced because so many Caucasian women smoke. I have to agree with that because I find the vast majority of people I meet are smokers as it apparently is back in fashion to smoke again.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:31 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,889,335 times
I smoked for 55 years. I started long before the Surgeon General mandated that sticker on the side of the pack reminding me that smoking was hazardous to my health. For much of that time, it was a 2-pack-a-day habit. I worked for a time in a physician's office where we were allowed to smoke in the file room. (The physician smoked, too) I smoked around my children. (None of them smoke. None of them have asthma, either) My ten grandchildren are non-smokers with one exception. I can't say I'm proud of the time I smoked, but there's no taking it back, so I'm not into self-flagellation. I am not uneducated, and I don't consider myself to be "low class". (I find it offensive that anyone would be considered low class.)

When I was acting, I frequently left the theater during intermissions, and would step to the side to have a quick smoke. Sometimes, non-smokers would come out as well, and would often walk to where they saw me smoking and would proceed to complain about the smoke. I concluded that some folks are only happy when they're unhappy.

I quit six years, two days and seven hours ago. I gained almost 30 pounds. I had open-heart surgery to replace a faulty valve - and before you say AHA! - totally unrelated to smoking. I had rheumatic fever as a child and the defect progressed over the years.

I had surgery for colon cancer last year. Was it because I smoked? No one knows. There are many cases of colon cancer in people who never smoked, never lived in a house where anyone smoked and got it anyway.

In any event. I do think smoking is an unwise choice. When I pass people smoking on the street, I enjoy the aroma. But I think smoking is an unwise choice. I don't want people to smoke around my grandchildren because it's an unwise choice.

And that's what it is - a choice. I think people should have the right to smoke in their own homes and in the open air as long as they aren't inflicting their fumes on others. It isn't a wise choice, but it is a choice. And until the government makes tobacco illegal, (Prohibition worked out well, now didn't it?) they should not be making restrictive laws against it. Especially in view of the fact that governments take delight in taxing the sale of tobacco everytime they run short of money. For everyone who wants smoking to be outlawed, you will be surprised at what taxes we will all be forced to pay to make up for that lost revenue when tobacco is gone.

OMT: I have a DIL who is asthmatic, and she grew up in a home where NOONE smoked. In a family where NOONE ever smoked. Just sayin'

Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM

523 posts, read 3,797,128 times
the real choice is whether to start smoking or not.

to the addict (whether it be to nicotine, or any other drug), choice may be less relevant.

there are quite a lot of smokers out there who, if pushed, would admit (if they are being honest with themselves and with others) that they would much rather be free of their habit, if they felt they had a choice. why would someone choose to be tied to something which controls them to the point that they undergo social ostracism at every turn, and forces them out onto the streets in the cold and rain, and even then to have people complain at them. and thats before even throwing in the fact that most know it is likely to significantly shorten their lives.

the choice is there in the absence/before addiction. whether it is a real choice thereafter is debatable.

to be clear, im not talking about people having their "right" to smoke removed. im just saying that for many addicted smokers, to say they are making a conscious "choice" to continue really isn't true. they may say that, but the reality is they are addicted, and by saying they choose the path of continued smoking is better than the alternative of being labelled weak-willed or an addict, or any other of a number of adjectives which are all associated with failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health