Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:13 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,911,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
the real choice is whether to start smoking or not.

to the addict (whether it be to nicotine, or any other drug), choice may be less relevant.

there are quite a lot of smokers out there who, if pushed, would admit (if they are being honest with themselves and with others) that they would much rather be free of their habit, if they felt they had a choice. why would someone choose to be tied to something which controls them to the point that they undergo social ostracism at every turn, and forces them out onto the streets in the cold and rain, and even then to have people complain at them. and thats before even throwing in the fact that most know it is likely to significantly shorten their lives.

the choice is there in the absence/before addiction. whether it is a real choice thereafter is debatable.

to be clear, im not talking about people having their "right" to smoke removed. im just saying that for many addicted smokers, to say they are making a conscious "choice" to continue really isn't true. they may say that, but the reality is they are addicted, and by saying they choose the path of continued smoking is better than the alternative of being labelled weak-willed or an addict, or any other of a number of adjectives which are all associated with failure.
I contend it's a choice. It's a choice to start smoking. It's a choice to continue since there are numerous forms of smoking cessation from which to "choose". During the years of my addiction, I frequently said how much I wished I could quit, but I didn't really have the motivation needed, thus I continued to choose smoking. I could go for days without smoking but then choose to smoke again.

Smokers who are truly motivated to quit will make the choice to do so, by choosing any of the cessation forms on the market.

Is it an addiction? Yes. By choosing to smoke, one chooses addiction. There is no denying that. I chose to end my addiction to cigarettes. And I still miss it. But while the addiction still exists, I have overcome the manual habituation that is often the hardest to overcome.

The act of removing a cigarette from the pack, and tapping it gently to pack the tobacco firmly in the tube, and reaching for the lighter, or striking the match, and the initial inhale. Smoking is as much about the act as it is about the hit to the brain.

One must choose to smoke just as one must choose not to smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM

523 posts, read 3,800,218 times
semantics.

what i mean is that to the addict, the path of least resistance and the default position is to continue smoking. this is a consequence of the addiction, not of the addict making an active choice (by preference) to smoke.

in the absence of addiction, many (please note, i am not saying all) smokers would choose to quit immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health