Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:19 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,803,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Diagnosed or not, psychological "disorders" are simply made up . . . someone clumps a bunch of symptoms together and labels it a "disease" or a malady or a "disorder." Then drug companies invent a drug to "cure" it. Meanwhile, the general public, who is none too bright, buys into it wholeheartedly, the schools promote the ideas and become doctors themselves because many teachers diagnose from the classroom . . . the real "problem" could be the kid is bored, unchallenged, the classroom is a snoozefest, the teacher might be an idiot, etc. The kid could be a genius who has the nerve to be a critical thinker . . .or might need to move around and play and not sit in a desk six hours a day while "facts" are poured into heads . . .
And then we have the conspiracy theorists, who think we're all brainwashed zombies... Have you ever been around a low-functioning autistic child, who bangs his head on the walls, rocks, flaps his arms and has no ability to speak until the age of 8? Yeah, he's just yanking your chain, and has been fooling everyone since he was a baby, just because he wanted some pills.

Please. Heard it all before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 05:25 PM

51,956 posts, read 52,393,874 times
I always joke around and call it Assburners.

Not to offend or be disrespectful.

I think some levity could be in order.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:43 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,672,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Kinda like "bipolar" is the "cool" kind of depression to have, among the angsty emo teen crowd.

Ugh. So true. Anyone who could possibly think being Bipolar is "cool" is an outright moron and has no freaking clue at all about anything about the disease. I would like them to spend a year being bipolar and off of meds and then get back to me on how cool it is.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,892,507 times
No one knows why people act the way they do . . . there could be hundreds or thousands of variables from nature to nurture . . . I don't understand the mad DESIRE for labels . . .to either label oneself (i.e., manic/depressive or one's child . . .asperger's or whatever . . .the need to make behavior problems or adjustment problems part of one's identity is the mystery to me . . .I am guessing it is simply an attempt to understand what is not really understandable)

Old 10-30-2010, 05:54 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,896,359 times
Quote:
No one knows why people act the way they do . . .
Really? Now I'm puzzled. Because you very adamantly stated above that all such disorders are "simply made up" and that they're outright invented by Big Pharma, etc.

Is there more than one person in there, by any chance?

Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,435,573 times
Quote:
No one knows why people act the way they do . . . there could be hundreds or thousands of variables from nature to nurture . . . I don't understand the mad DESIRE for labels . . .to either label oneself (i.e., manic/depressive or one's child . . .asperger's or whatever . . .the need to make behavior problems or adjustment problems part of one's identity is the mystery to me . . .I am guessing it is simply an attempt to understand what is not really understandable)
A "label" means a diagnosis. A diagnosis is imperative so that you can best help the person with the condition. In most cases earliest intervention allows the person to have the highest quality of life.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,803,691 times
Quote:
It's not about "labeling" any more than things like hypothyroidism and diabetes are about labels. It's true that psychology is far from an exact science; there are no blood test to take to determine if you're autistic or have depression, though brain scans can show abnormalities in certain areas of the brain which could possibly indicate a link to depression in some studies. So doctors have to rely on those studies, look for common traits, patterns, possible causes, and things that don't conclusively point to any disorder on their own. One kid may have delayed speech, but not have autism. Another's delayed speech may be a symptom of possible autism, or it could be symptomatic of a hearing problem. Further tests will start pointing to a certain direction, and then things are ruled out, and narrowed down until a diagnosis is finally made (and "labels" are necessary when you are applying for Medicaid, or special services in the school system). It's a guessing game in a way, but it's not an uneducated one.

As far as I know, there is no pill for autism, so the Big Pharma argument is pointless, there.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,435,573 times
Quote:
Diagnosed or not, psychological "disorders" are simply made up . . . someone clumps a bunch of symptoms together and labels it a "disease" or a malady or a "disorder." Then drug companies invent a drug to "cure" it. Meanwhile, the general public, who is none too bright, buys into it wholeheartedly, the schools promote the ideas and become doctors themselves because many teachers diagnose from the classroom . . . the real "problem" could be the kid is bored, unchallenged, the classroom is a snoozefest, the teacher might be an idiot, etc. The kid could be a genius who has the nerve to be a critical thinker . . .or might need to move around and play and not sit in a desk six hours a day while "facts" are poured into heads . . .

For your sake (and your potential childs) I pray you never know first hand what it's like to watch the child you planned for, dreamed of and wanted more than anything in the world be striken with some disorder such as bi-polar, autism, mental retardation, fetal alcohol syndrome, failure to thrive, schizophrenia, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder.

The burden is far greater than you seem capable of carrying.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Really? Now I'm puzzled. Because you very adamantly stated above that all such disorders are "simply made up" and that they're outright invented by Big Pharma, etc.

Is there more than one person in there, by any chance?
The two ideas are not mutually exclusive, in fact, just the opposite. Made up and colluded with by the drug co's . . . the two ideas are related to each other.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
For your sake (and your potential childs) I pray you never know first hand what it's like to watch the child you planned for, dreamed of and wanted more than anything in the world be striken with some disorder such as bi-polar, autism, mental retardation, fetal alcohol syndrome, failure to thrive, schizophrenia, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder.

The burden is far greater than you seem capable of carrying.
I feel bad for any human being who is negatively impacted by any other. My burden carrying load is not relevant to a conversation about made-up disorders and conditions (in the sense of people acting poorly due to lack of self control or consideration for others . . . )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health