Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:57 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,803,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I feel bad for any human being who is negatively impacted by any other. My burden carrying load is not relevant to a conversation about made-up disorders and conditions (in the sense of people acting poorly due to lack of self control or consideration for others . . . )
Clearly those people have Made Up Disorder Syndrome, which should be covered in DSM V.

GlaxoSmithKline is already on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 07:03 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,322,225 times
Quote:
No one knows why people act the way they do . . . there could be hundreds or thousands of variables from nature to nurture . . . I don't understand the mad DESIRE for labels . . .to either label oneself (i.e., manic/depressive or one's child . . .asperger's or whatever . . .the need to make behavior problems or adjustment problems part of one's identity is the mystery to me . . .I am guessing it is simply an attempt to understand what is not really understandable)

^^That's your opinion. With all due respect do you actually believe there are any real diseases or is everything made up? Oh right you believe peanut allergy is made up

Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
For your sake (and your potential childs) I pray you never know first hand what it's like to watch the child you planned for, dreamed of and wanted more than anything in the world be striken with some disorder such as bi-polar, autism, mental retardation, fetal alcohol syndrome, failure to thrive, schizophrenia, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder.

The burden is far greater than you seem capable of carrying.

Well said

Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
^^That's your opinion. With all due respect do you actually believe there are any real diseases or is everything made up? Oh right you believe peanut allergy is made up

I guess I must live in Fantasy Land, because my son has Asperger's AND a peanut allergy.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
No one knows why people act the way they do . . . there could be hundreds or thousands of variables from nature to nurture . . . I don't understand the mad DESIRE for labels . . .to either label oneself (i.e., manic/depressive or one's child . . .asperger's or whatever . . .the need to make behavior problems or adjustment problems part of one's identity is the mystery to me . . .I am guessing it is simply an attempt to understand what is not really understandable)

Must you always speak in riddles? Do you just use big words to make your posts seem more intelligent????

Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
[/b]

I guess I must live in Fantasy Land, because my son has Asperger's AND a peanut allergy.
That's right you do LOL. I am delusional too because my kids have severe allergies as well. I made the allergies up don't you know????

Old 10-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
That's right you do LOL. I am delusional too because my kids have severe allergies as well. I made the allergies up don't you know????
Yeah, me too because it makes me feel "special".

I just read the other thread and discovered I'm "pro-peanut allergy". Good grief. I'm actually ANTI-peanut allergy, and I have my son's epi-pen to prove it.

The first time his lips and tongue swelled up and he couldn't breathe at age 15 months, and he had to be taken to the ER was just because we were bored that day.

Cripes.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:13 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,430,601 times
I don't think any disorders are an excuse for mistreating others, but it can be an explanation for why something may need to be explained or reformatted. For example, my wife and I are both Asperger's, so sometimes we have misunderstandings, but that doesn't mean we allow abuse of each other because we're (officially diagnosed with, not Wiki-diagnosed with) Asperger's. I liken it to the fact that blindness explains why I can't read print, but it doesn't excuse me from doing the reading assignment. Sometimes mental illness or something like Asperger's syndrome requires something to be in a different format, but that doesn't excuse people from finding an alternate way to function. Is that an excuse? No, it's just something that is needed so the person can have a more successful relationship.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Yeah, me too because it makes me feel "special".

I just read the other thread and discovered I'm "pro-peanut allergy". Good grief. I'm actually ANTI-peanut allergy, and I have my son's epi-pen to prove it.

The first time his lips and tongue swelled up and he couldn't breathe at age 15 months, and he had to be taken to the ER was just because we were bored that day.

Cripes.

I'm sorry about your son. My son also has a severe peanut allergy and I found a peanut butter cup in his lunch.. The teacher didn't check the treats that were brought in
Oh but his allergy is made up. I just say he has an allergy to make myself FEEL special

Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,002,320 times
All of you who are so sarcastic about the "conspiracy theories" may want to ask yourselves why your kids have all those allergies. Having an allergy back home was something exceptional and rare. Here everybody has them! And I'd venture to say the situation probably wasn't the same in the past! Oh, same goes for autism, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health