Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,348,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I think that's a good question, but I just don't think it's a conspiracy. I have a cousin who didn't realize her son had a milk allergy until he almost died.

My guess is over the last several decades we have been eating and/or exposed to nuked foods, plastics, preservatives, pesticides, tons of immunizations and god knows what else, so who really knows why?
I think it's a combination of all those things, plus some are already genetically predisposed and all those things in our environment contribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 07:31 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,803,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Ok. So now you're telling me the lab was in on it when they checked his blood to determine the severity of the peanut allergy I guess you don't have kids with allergies so please don't ridicule and make light of those who do. Don't for a minute try to suggest that parents are causing their children's allergies. How insulting
I don't even know how I could be responsible for my child's allergy. Because I fed him his first pb&j sandwich, and that ended with a trip to the ER? Did *I* make him allergic?? And when he was tested at the allergists with 80-something needle pricks in his back, and the peanut reaction was HUGE... my fault?? How does that make sense? I will guess that immune systems are probably way down because of overuse of antibiotics and anti-biotic soap, and so kids are more prone to illness, but I don't know that that would be the case for allergies. But exposure, over time, can bring on allergic reactions. Maybe an ozone issue? Maybe pollution? Maybe the way certain foods are manufactured? It's not the same world as it was when I was a kid.

As far as autism being more prevalent now, we don't know that it is. It's more in the spotlight, now, because more is known about it, and controversy surrounds vaccinations, mercury... It also has less of a stigma attached. When I was in school, the "special needs" kids were never seen. They were in their own classroom, and never mixed with the regular ed kids, except for rare occasions. Now they're more mainstreamed. I don't know the answers. But it's a bit much to say that allergies and disorders are made up, because Big Pharm wants money. They do want their money, and pills are pushed, and they are prescribed way too often, but that doesn't negate the fact that autism, etc, are genuine medical conditions.

Last edited by Neemy; 10-30-2010 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,294,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I think it's a combination of all those things, plus some are already genetically predisposed and all those things in our environment contribute.
I totally believe that. I just believe that it's not just what the children today are exposed to, but also what the parents of the children from my generation were exposed to.

To get back on topic,
Yes, there are some losers that want to blame their lack of success and other failures on other people or on a real disorder.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I totally believe that. I just believe that it's not just what the children today are exposed to, but also what the parents of the children from my generation were exposed to.

I agree with you 100%. I think it's too controversial of a topic and can get heated very quickly. I learned my lesson the hard way hanging out on the parenting forum.

5,185 posts, read 7,539,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I've noticed that myself on this board, everytime there's an issue the finger almost always points to some disorder. True, some outbursts are attributed to disorders like the famed Tourette's but let's be honest, a lot of people just have issues.
Many have multiple issues.

3,622 posts, read 5,803,372 times
Quote:
You are misinterpreting what Sierra is saying.
I must have misinterpreted it, too. I'll go read it again.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I must have misinterpreted it, too. I'll go read it again.
I don't think she was saying that it's made up...or perhaps I'm the one who is misinterpreting.

10,449 posts, read 12,429,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I don't know the answers. But it's a bit much to say that allergies and disorders are made up, because Big Pharm wants money. They do want their money, and pills are pushed, and they are prescribed way too often, but that does negate the fact that autism, etc, are genuine medical conditions.
I think you meant to say "doesn't negate."

3,261 posts, read 5,294,293 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100%. I think it's too controversial of a topic and can get heated very quickly. I learned my lesson the hard way hanging out on the parenting forum.
That's why I stay away from the crazies over there and hang out here.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
That's why I stay away from the crazies over there and hang out with the crazies here.
Fixed it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health