Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:51 PM

235 posts, read 354,935 times

Advertisements

Hey.. I'm wondering if some could give me stories of either themselves or people they know who have been on antidepressants and tapered off of them. Long story short, I'm on Celexa 20mg, have been for a few years, and need to get off because:

A) I don't need it anymore, never did really.. went on because I had insomnia
B) It's causing many unneeded side effects

The taper would be off in 2 months time and I'm worried that I will not heal or feel normal for a long time after.

Any encouragement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,680,317 times
Just keep open communication with the doctor who prescribed the medication for you, let him know how you're progressing...

I was put on Prozac by a nutjob who decided I was bipolar, when I went to him asking about symptoms of ADD. After 4 months of feeling like a zombie, I asked the doctor for something different. He switched me to Anafronil. I took one pill. Just one. And told my husband to take me to the emergency room if I didn't stop shaking in the next hour. I chipped a tooth from gritting my jaw so hard, couldn't sit still, couldn't focus, couldn't express myself verbally...I could speak, but the words were all wrong.

I threw the entire remainder of those pills in the trash and told the doctor he was full of it, and never went back. I was -very- fortunate in that my experience was so lousy, that taking nothing at all was an improvement and so I didn't have to taper off.

I understand though that my situation wasn't typical (not rare either, but not really common), and that I was misdiagnosed and medicated for something I don't have. Your experience will be different. You might find yourself having trouble getting to sleep at night. Or you might find yourself aggitated during the day, or fidgety. Keep a journal if you can, of any changes in your perception of things - any different taste sensations when you eat, if you think you're feeling feverish but don't have a temperature, if colors are sharper or duller, if you feel tingling, that kind of stuff. And of course keep track of your moods and "feelings" in general as well, and anything interesting or unusual you experience while you're tapering off.

Show this to your doctor with every visit. This way, you won't have to remember it all, and he'll be able to see if there's anything important he needs to address.

In most cases, tapering off is not traumatic at all. It's just - a little stressful at first. I know a few people who've done it and they've all said the same thing. It was stressful, but most of the stress was caused by worry about tapering off...not because of the tapering itself

Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Thank you so much. That was very nice to read. I'm just scared because I have known people who had a very hard time, and they ended up not feeling like themselves for many months. I just want to be one of the normal ones, or lucky ones, or w/e. My doctor and I have already talked, and she said she wants to spread out the tapering over 2 months, and I'd be going from 20mg to 0 in that period. I have a few weeks to decide what I'm doing.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:31 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,262,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
Thank you so much. That was very nice to read. I'm just scared because I have known people who had a very hard time, and they ended up not feeling like themselves for many months. I just want to be one of the normal ones, or lucky ones, or w/e. My doctor and I have already talked, and she said she wants to spread out the tapering over 2 months, and I'd be going from 20mg to 0 in that period. I have a few weeks to decide what I'm doing.
You could go even slower too. Its better to be safe than sorry. Im
on Paxil and when I plan to go off,Im doing it slower than "Mollasses in
January"

Hope all goes smoothly for you,Im sure it will be fine!!! Good luck!

Greenhchili

Old 11-04-2010, 05:16 PM

914 posts, read 4,437,073 times
I was on Celexa 20mg and went off it after several years because it made me gain a bunch of weight (ugh!). I really didn't have any problems tapering off. I took half a pill for two weeks and was done. I didn't have any problems whatsoever. It wasn't at all like tapering off Effexor! That was a nightmare!

So hopefully it goes well for you, too. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 PM

I don't mean to be a downer, but my life has sucked insanely bad because of the Lexapro I went on a few years ago. I went on and side effects have been my life ever since. I switched to Celexa this summer to 20mg, and have been there for 4 months on the Celexa. I'm just so anxious to get off and feel things again and feel passion for things it's insane. I can't cry or really laugh.. I feel like the dude form "Garden State". If it took me 6 months - year to feel better, I would be ok with that. I just want off these meds. =(

Old 11-04-2010, 05:40 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,795,499 times
I've witnessed someone come off Lexapro by tapering down for awhile from 20mg. Totally insane! Angry 24/7, crying fits, and delusional. This lasted about two weeks. Just make sure you taper extra slow if you come off that one. Its a *****!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,916,559 times
I also took Celexa on and off for a few years. I went from 20mg/day to 10/day to 10mg every 2 days and so on. I also gained weight on it which was enough motive to stop. It's not easy but I really think it's worth it. I don't know what 'normal' is in terms of feelings but I think I can safely say I was fine during the whole taper off experience. I find talking therapy is beneficial too, whether it's an actual therapist or a good friend. Keep us posted!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 PM

914 posts, read 4,437,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
I don't mean to be a downer, but my life has sucked insanely bad because of the Lexapro I went on a few years ago. I went on and side effects have been my life ever since. I switched to Celexa this summer to 20mg, and have been there for 4 months on the Celexa. I'm just so anxious to get off and feel things again and feel passion for things it's insane. I can't cry or really laugh.. I feel like the dude form "Garden State". If it took me 6 months - year to feel better, I would be ok with that. I just want off these meds. =(
Don't worry too much, it will just make it worse. Do try to remember that coming off one medication can be totally different than coming off another. It is going to be harder if psyche yourself out too much. Celexa usually isn't too bad.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,322,225 times
Once your body gets used to being off the meds you will feel normal.
As for ADD it is not even a real disorder from what I've heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health