Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 PM

460 posts, read 3,539,518 times

Advertisements

Does anyone happen to know about any studies done involving steady klonipin use with those using it for 20+ yrs or more continuously ? I've read up on possible cognitive problems having to do with withdrawal such as agitaion and potential memory problems but since I've been on them for over 17 yrs straight and now in my mid 40's wondering what might be the downside if any when I start getting older like around 60 and beyond if I continue using them. Has anyone heard about any really bad downside of continuous use at modest levels? I know about the dependecy issues but mainly concerned about possible serious brain function problems as I get older or perhaps a negative effect on other organs in the body. In my case been taking 1.0 mg a day.. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,657,568 times
Since I don't know why you have been taking it for so long I'm not qualified to give you a good answer. I would certainly want to discuss getting off it though if possible though.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 AM

Been on them for general anxiety disorder/social anxiety + panic attacks. Also have been on Paxil over that same time and nothing helps the anxiety accept for Klonipin. Paxil helps somewhat too but mainly helps my depressive d/o. I exercise, weights, biking, walking, but still have too much anxiety which klonipin helps to deal with immensely and it also had put years of panic attacks to rest. I have never abused it and it does not make me tired or drowsy and my mind has been sharp while on it and in fact had went to and graduated college finishing with high honors without even really trying to.

My concern like mentioned is about the possible negative effects of long term use of klonipin on mind + body especially as it pertains to getting older which is a more recent phenomona for me personally being I'm closing in on 45 yrs old and having just started to feel some of the normal effects of aging over the past couple yrs.

Last edited by tripod; 11-09-2010 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 AM

9,221 posts, read 14,776,802 times
If you take drugs for "general anxiety disorder/social anxiety + panic attacks" you will never learn to manage these issues on your own. They can be controlled with cognitive therapy. If you don't want that, then read self help books (there are many) and if you can't afford to buy books, go to the library.

Trust me, many people control these issues with no meds at all!!! You may also find that finding the causes of your attacks leads to positive changes in how you are live your life. Remember, anxiety is nature's way of getting you to pay attention. Drugs are only masking your issues.

You are to be commended for doing this after so long- best of luck to you.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,001,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If you take drugs for "general anxiety disorder/social anxiety + panic attacks" you will never learn to manage these issues on your own. They can be controlled with cognitive therapy. If you don't want that, then read self help books (there are many) and if you can't afford to buy books, go to the library.

Trust me, many people control these issues with no meds at all!!! You may also find that finding the causes of your attacks leads to positive changes in how you are live your life. Remember, anxiety is nature's way of getting you to pay attention. Drugs are only masking your issues.
Are you a licensed psychiatrist?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:18 AM

1,317 posts, read 5,258,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Are you a licensed psychiatrist?
Exactly? Is she? I say if its working and your Dr. says its ok,then what is wrong with it? At 51 Im all about quality of life versus quantity,but that could be because I hit menopause and was also hit with debilitating anxiety.Paxil has helped me tremendously! With a teensy bit of Ativan at night to help get my mind of off Tinnitus.Do I want to do this forever,no! But right now just takin it "one day at a time". To the OP,check with your Dr. then make a decision. God Bless ya!

Greenchili

Old 11-09-2010, 12:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,599,381 times
I am a licensed clinical psychologist and I vote for therapy to help. Numerous studies (good ones) over the years have proven time and again that the best treatment is therapy plus medicaiton. You should be able to lower your dosages in time with therapy. Maybe not get off the meds completely but lower the dosages.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Yeah over time I have been able to go from 40 mg of Paxil to 20 and from 1.5 mg of Klonipin to less than 1 mg. I've gone much lower on both too within the last several yrs but when a bunch of situational problems arose at once I had to adjust to where I am now.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,599,381 times
Sounds like you are on the right track, congrats.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:04 PM

UPDATE:

Since posting I had dropped down to taking .125-.25 Klonipin a day and THEN last August decided it was time to try going completely off it!! Well, it's been over 10 months now with no Klonipin and I feel reborn!! After 18+ years of taking it everyday (as needed) at around .5-1.0 mg I now feel like I am actually sober for the first time since 1979. < I began drinking at age 12 and stopped in '90 at 24 yrs old >

Now over these past 10+ months I've actually been dealing with and processing issues that go back as far back as '79-'80. What I've discovered is I could indeed work through the uncomfortable feelings of life, both present + past, and am much, much better off for dealing with them than using the klonipin. I would compare working through the problems and uncomfortable issues as a fitness work out -- it's not easy + it's challenging but the rewards are definitely worth it!

The big difference now is although I used to think about all these same issues while on klonipin somehow now I'm getting stronger with the stuggles of dealing with them. Again to use the comparison of working-out it feels like the difference between thinking about working-out and actually doing the work!

I do feel the anxiety but I also feel all the other healthy emotions now too and didn't realize before how great it can be! At age 46 I feel reborn and so much better now being off that drug!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health