Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:05 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,254,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAlto View Post
I don't know if any of y'all are still talking about this, but I suffer from reverse SAD as well. The drought to California has brought on endless days of hot to mild temps, and SUN SUN SUN. God, I'm so damn sick of sunny days. I'm actually experiencing symptoms of depression because of the never ending mild weather. It's dry, dusty, warm and intolerable!

I happened upon this forum when I was searching for an article that someone claims was written about Californian's experiencing more and more fatigue from the incessant sunlight courtesy of the drought.

The only relief I feel is when the time change goes back to what nature intended....I wish they would leave it alone and stop listening to the sun worshipers and understand that this is how it is SUPPOSED to be!
The sun worshippers seem to have the run of the status quo. You should check out some of the commentaries made in the weather forum when people are asked to rate climates in Northerly latitudes lol.

We camped at Lake Tahoe two years ago...right during the last week of the season. We were expecting cooler temps and cold nights, but it was not to happen. The days were dry, hot, and not very comfortable. The soil in our campsite was SO dry, it blew around like dust more than anything.

I would die living in a place that was sunny all the time, but it's because I hate the sun about as much as the sun worshippers love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 02:30 AM

10 posts, read 18,964 times
I love rainy days clouds and cold weather I hate the summer and hot long days I like the night sky as well.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,193,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
There was a story about this on NPR yesterday about the people love increased darkness and changes of seasons with the end of daylight saving time. Standard Time Starts, And The Summer-Haters Celebrate : NPR

One other side note, this is my 1000th post on City Data. Crazy I have made it to 1000 posts. Woohoo. Time to celebrate.
It's hard to explain but things mellow out when the sun goes down. I keep my house fairly dark and one eye healed wrong from catarac surgery and doesn't shut out brightness, so I am more comfortable with it less bright. But there is some sense of the day when all the interruptions come is over and I can chill. Can't mess with the yard. Neighbors won't bother you. Its your time. I tend to go to bed very very late and sometimes with the sun coming up. I do my writing late at night when everything seems more peaceful.

Cudos on the 1000. I think the most I've had was 3/4 k on Jericho's board, but I'm working on 10 k here. I love this board.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:17 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,254,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It's hard to explain but things mellow out when the sun goes down. I keep my house fairly dark and one eye healed wrong from catarac surgery and doesn't shut out brightness, so I am more comfortable with it less bright. But there is some sense of the day when all the interruptions come is over and I can chill. Can't mess with the yard. Neighbors won't bother you. Its your time. I tend to go to bed very very late and sometimes with the sun coming up. I do my writing late at night when everything seems more peaceful.

Cudos on the 1000. I think the most I've had was 3/4 k on Jericho's board, but I'm working on 10 k here. I love this board.
I love night for all the same reasons you do. Keep my house fairly dim as well. My windows stay covered up unless the sun is either almost down for the day or the day is cloudy and beautiful

Old 11-06-2014, 09:43 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,216,775 times
I like variety... though its too cold here for my taste... I would prefer a chinook winds climate like Denver or Rapid City.... a mix of sun and cloudy days is good.

I like colder winters because its nice to sleep in a cold room without cranking the AC.... Im talking 55 degrees with layers of thick blankets... wonderful! Of course I could achieve this in a warmer climate than where Im at.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,349 times
Dear GOD! Thank you! It is so refreshing to hear that I am not the only one! It is so frustrating when you tell someone that you can't stand the sun and they look at you like you have **** on your face! I absolutely HATE the sun! I much prefer cold, gray days, especially when it's raining. The sun makes me cranky and tired. I have asked doctors about this and they have no damn idea as to what I'm talking about and then they wonder why people turn to the internet for answers.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:37 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,398,773 times
I won't go into details, but I feel "safer" when it's stormy and dark.

I'd rather garden in the middle of the night lol. Maybe becuae it's more private that way? I don't know.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:31 PM

10,194 posts, read 6,257,929 times
As a young woman, I loved staying up and going out all night. I slept during the day. In middle age I worked the Midnight shift by choice so I would not have to be outside in the daytime.

My husband got a job in Florida. Do you have any idea what that has done to me? All my blinds are shut. Since quitting work, I rarely leave the house. I get positive guiddy when it rains all day (like today) and the temps go below 70 degrees.

I hated Summers in the North even as a little girl. Paradise for me would be to get out of the Sunshine State ASAP. Hopefully, only two more years.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:18 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,813,019 times
Love the dark....I posted about my fear of wide open spaces and I am better in the dark because I can't see it...sounds weird but the sun and light make me anxious and most of all the surrounding openness is gone at night...I always said I have reverse SAD too!!!! Hardly know any one that feels this way...

Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 PM

316 posts, read 435,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Hi

I live in the upper Midwest (Grand Forks ND) and I have ran into many people who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) due to our shorter days, and often cloudy and cold weather. Once summer arrives and days are longer many people are very happy.

I am the opposite and always have been.
Move to Pittsburgh. I'm serious. From October through April, you'll be lucky to experience five or six sunny days here. After that, it's totally overcast at least 60-70% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health