Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:19 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,863,718 times

Advertisements

Wow, it's great to see that there are at least a few others out there like me! I get down when there is a long patch of sunny, dry weather. Living in the sunny South was downright depressing for me...people thought that I was crazy!

I have since moved up to a very cloudy area of the county and could not be happier. It is actually listed in the top 5 cloudiest cities in the U.S. and it is rare that a week goes by without at least 2 cloudy days Even better, we get plenty of rain and snow...and very few hot days.

All of you who love the cold, wet, and cloudy weather are awesome Embrace your uniqueness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 07:10 PM

342 posts, read 435,826 times
I have been living in a wrong place for the past 15 years. I dislike heat and extreme sunshine and sweat that comes with it. I do not just dislike it I actually hate it. I moved to Southern AZ from cool and cloudy climate and never got used to this heat and this amount of sunshine...How I want to move the hell out of here!

Old 11-04-2015, 02:13 PM

158 posts, read 304,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Wow, it's great to see that there are at least a few others out there like me! I get down when there is a long patch of sunny, dry weather. Living in the sunny South was downright depressing for me...people thought that I was crazy!

I have since moved up to a very cloudy area of the county and could not be happier. It is actually listed in the top 5 cloudiest cities in the U.S. and it is rare that a week goes by without at least 2 cloudy days Even better, we get plenty of rain and snow...and very few hot days.

All of you who love the cold, wet, and cloudy weather are awesome Embrace your uniqueness!
I grew up in Texas and some of my best memories are of when the big storms used to roll in and the sky would just get so black and ominous looking, streaked with lightning and you could hear the distant sound of thunder... I would just sit back and watch the whole thing roll in and totally engulf everything.
I really miss that… not a lot of that weather here in sunny Los Angeles although the last few days have been pleasantly overcast/cloudy, cooler and nice with a bit of rain.
I also lived in Salt Lake City, Utah for a stretch and really enjoyed the weather there for the most part ( aside from the inversions), there were some great overcast days there especially as winter approached… The fall overcast/gloomy days were the best for me in Utah… The leaves on the trees beginning to change colors, the chill in the air and the overall mood as we settled into fall, Halloween decoration starting to come out… I loved it and miss it very much.
I'm glad you have found your place again...

Old 07-02-2016, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 987 times
I love cloudy, rainy days too. I think I'm feeling some of that thing called revserse SAD, I'm horrible when it's sunny and warm. I just hate it. I'd never go to the beach unless is in the night, just to chill with some friends to see the sky at night and the stars come out. I've done that once and I want to repeat it. The terrible thing is that I'm spanish, here in summers like now (July 3rd 2016) is hot af. I can't stand this. I can't sleep until 3-4 am. And then wake up sweaty in the morning at 11-12. While at winter, we're about 10ºC (about 50ºF) and I like to go outside, and when rains, I want to play with the ball and my friends. Just one friend understand what I'm saying, I explained to him why is better cloudy than sunny days and he now understands the situation. And surprisingly he likes now rainy days! I convinced him, and I'm proud of it. We sometimes go outside when It's rainy, without umbrella. We enjoy it. When it's hot I stay at home and put some rainy sound effects from [url=http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/thunderNoiseGenerator.php]Thunder & Rain | myNoise, the best online Noise Machines[/url]
I recommend it so much if you want to distract youself from the hot and warm days. At least it relaxes me. You can edit if you want to hear mostly the rain or thunder, or both!
Thanks for reading me!

Old 07-03-2016, 08:53 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,617,139 times
This happens to me sometimes and it all depends. I live in the north east where there's 4 seasons, there's days where I feel incredibly depressed and when the clouds and rain develop, I feel much more calm, at ease and even morbidly happy. It's pretty cynical of me but I feel like the whole world isn't having a blast while I am keeping myself stuck in my apartment, moping, being depressed at how much of a loser I am by mentally imprisoning myself. It just makes me feel like I'm not the only one enjoying a cloudy, depressed day.

Also when I am very depressed what I like to do is walk around in very gloomy days, especially if it's not in the big city. The sense of solitude sometimes brings me immense energy and focus.

Then I can be the TOTAL opposite in that if the gloomy days last too long and I am very depressed, I pray to the sun gods for the rays to roast me. Sometimes too many consecutive days of gloom and doom can prolong my depression if I am depressed. And it makes me that much more lazy, unmotivated and apathetic.

Overall I prefer pleasant days, not too gloomy and doomy and not too hot and scorching. Fall and spring tend to be my favorite seasons because the weather balances itself out the most. In the fall the night comes shorter but the weather tends to be more reasonable in that you don't need to bundle up and can still walk around with a light hoodie or jacket and makes for having some nice coffee. Then there's the spring where the days last longer but you may still need a light jacket and at night may need some sheets still.

If you met me, you'll think I am a summer guy because I LOVE hitting the beach up, surfing and I LOVE being near the ocean. However, summer in the big city absolutely STINKS and I hate being sweaty and having all that nasty city air stick to me even more.

At the end of the day, I have a small case of SAD so it's not an unusual symptom.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:09 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,577,414 times
Hope you are all up on your Vit D.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:27 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,856,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Hi

I live in the upper Midwest (Grand Forks ND) and I have ran into many people who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) due to our shorter days, and often cloudy and cold weather. Once summer arrives and days are longer many people are very happy.

I am the opposite and always have been. I strongly prefer cloudy days with no sun for days on end and I love nighttime and dislike daylight. This time of the year and through the winter, I am happier, exercise more, and I want to be awake more. Once Spring arrives and the grass greens up and it hits about 70 degrees I can go through a period of severe anxiety and can get very short tempered in the hot temperatures over the summer.

I grew up in Kentucky and was that way as a child too....pulling the blinds down in the summer and never going outside in the heat versus always going out when it snowed in the winter. That is one reason I moved to where I did to escape the summer heat as much as possible. Anything above 75 or 80, and I just dread going outside as I sweat terribly and get very irritated easily.
I just want to stay inside my house with blinds down and the A/C on.

In the winter time...I love being outside and love being cold. I often wear shorts down to 30 degrees where people think I am crazy. My body can tolerate cold very well versus the heat.

My question is how many others out there are like this? I have been recently to my doctor as I noticed over this past summer in particular, my irritiability and anger was more severe than usual. I can usually handle two sunny days in a row, but give my 4 or 5 without much clouds and I just feel like shutting myself in and my wife notices I am way more irritable and I complain all the time. I had my doctor do blood work and all was normal with the exception of testosterone which was in the 180 range (I am in my mid 40s). I started treatment, but while that may explain the extreme irritability and moodiness over the past summer, it doesnt explain my aversion to sun and my love of cloudy days.

I am in the weather forecasting field as a career, and for this upcoming week in my area it will be cloudy for the next 5-7 days. I am elated and so happy as it had been sunny for the past few days. My co-workers talk about the gloom and I love it. Surely there are others like this.

My doctor has said that reverse SAD is real and I certainly feel it.

Sorry for the rambling....
Dan

I can relate.
Although I'm okay with the sun out- but I don't want to be out in it, especially since that usually means that it's hot outside
I really loathe outside temps above 75 degrees, hot weather and hot air.
Highs above 75 degrees make me really irritable and easily angry.
I love cool winter weather and crisp refreshing air.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 867 times
I have recently (5 months) discovered I am allergic to the sun. Solar urticaria. When my skin is exposed to sunlight, I instantly break out in a red ness much like a bad sunburn, and within a couple minutes, extreme itchiness. Once I'm out if the exposure, the red and itching go away within 45 min. I treat it with anti itch cream and have started taking elevated amounts of vitamin d...not sure the but d is working but it seems to help. I preface this to say, ever since this malady has occurred, I HATE sunny days...When it's cool and cloudy I'm so much happier. On sunny days, I'm depressed and lethargic and want to close all the shades and sleep. When it's cool and cloudy, I want to do things, I'm motivated to go out side and feel so much better. We own a business here (Colorado), so it is beyond question to move. But all I dream about had the Pacific northwest and cool weather. Does anyone know any way to combat this horrible affliction...I feel like I'm a vampire.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:36 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,637,720 times
While I don't suffer from the condition you describe, Mollie (sounds awful), I do relate to being happier when it gets to be cool, breezy, cloudy. There is an actual physical difference I feel and others can see in me when the heat lifts. Just suffering with the heat now.. making me feel....listless. My poor kitty wants to be able to lounge in the sunlight, but I don't want the added heat indoors, so I work around it to set up a space for her, part of the time. How do we explain weather to pets? Plants don't work out so well at this time, either. And perish the thought we could have some RAIN, for pete's sake! (It feels like it is an altered universe). This coming from a girl who used to enjoy sunbathing when younger.

I have wondered how much I would appreciate being in Oregon or Washington, myself. I have heard some say they couldn't stand it and moved from there, but I think I would prefer it. I recall witnessing a friend becoming so down when it became cloudy, while I would be perking up. I suppose too much of anything being one way would affect anyone, so it seems if the weather varied more often everywhere, it may have a more balancing effect upon us all.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:45 AM

263 posts, read 229,413 times
Sometimes I am at my happiest on a sunny day, but there have been a few instances in my life where I got this 'reverse seasonal affective disorder' during the summer as opposed to winter. A friend of mine brought up that it happens to him as well. I remember one particularly rough week where I didn't leave the house and watched the rays pouring through my window in horror for 4 or 5 days...

As I perceive this, it's a depression that comes from overwhelming anxiety in regard to the possibilities of summertime relative to my tiny singular human existence.

Even if I had all of the money in the world, I likely wouldn't have all of the time and energy to be constantly on the road being super active 110% of the time, going from concerts to great wilderness areas back and forth.

On the other hand in winter, or just on a cloudy 'sleepy' day, life can be more on par with the singular human experience IMHO.

Not to say that i enjoy them the most or that I might never be 'down and out' in gloomy weather, but in a sense it's 'expectant' to try and relax and you may not feel obligated within yourself to leave your comfort zone.

Just some thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health