Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,028,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am studying Ayurveda at the moment and there is a type of disposition described that does not like heat. It is called "Pitta."
I just looked that up and perhaps it's "emotional trauma" part for me. I think getting a really severe sunburn in my early 20's set it off. What, if anything, can be done about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,892,507 times
According to my understanding, you are born with an essential disposition. The Pitta disposition (one of the tridoshas) is the one that cannot tolerate heat. I am just beginning my study, but if you google "pitta diet" or "pitta disposition" or "pitta dosha" I think you will find a plethora of information. There are foods that are beneficial, as well as other practices that are recommended. It is very interesting. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,896,780 times
Quote:
I am like the OP - I LOVE rainy, cloudy weather and detest hot weather. I also get very irritable in the heat. I have met few people that have the same preference. I am also more of an introvert. I am a writer and dabble in artwork and projects and love to work on these things when the weather is stormy.

I can somewhat relate. I like cloudy, cool days. I dislike sunny, hot, cloudless days, especially days of it one after another. But I can get down in the middle of winter when it's cold and dark.

I guess my ideal would be lots of cloudy days, but not cold and not raining. Just cool and cloudy. Like fall. Perfect weather imo.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 PM

8,011 posts, read 10,575,608 times
I am so glad to know that I am not alone. I fell energized right now here in the Carolinas now that the god-awful summer and heat are gone. We have had record breaking cold temps for the past week - and I am loving it! Others are complaining about it, but I'm happy. I thought there was something "dark" about my personality that caused me to to prefer cloudy days and cold. I even like the shorter days.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:45 PM

So happy with the weather right now!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:36 PM

606 posts, read 1,396,396 times
Fall and Winter are my favorite times of year. When it gets dark by 5:00 in the afternoon, I feel a great sense of peace and serenity. I like it too when it is cloudy and dark. When the days are long, I feel agitated and depressed. It's like the day will just not end. Dusk is a relief. I read somewhere that when the days are longer and sunnier, we are, as a society expected to go out and do more. When it is dark and cold, we are "granted permission" to remain in the safety and comfort of indoors. I am glad that there are others like me.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:50 PM

I am lodging my complaint that so far, where I reside, there has been only one, truly stormy night and rainy day. I am so disappointed.

I love the grayness of the days, but want more storms.

There is nothing like going to sleep to rain and waking to rain.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,905,942 times
Quote:
I am like the OP - I LOVE rainy, cloudy weather and detest hot weather. I also get very irritable in the heat. I have met few people that have the same preference. I am also more of an introvert. I am a writer and dabble in artwork and projects and love to work on these things when the weather is stormy.

I'm similar to that too. It's not as severe with me as it is with the op. Once in a great while I'll even enjoy a sunny day. And I'm not overly irritable or depressed on sunny days, but I'll definitely notice I'm way more alive and happier on cloudy days--especially so on stormy days. My energy level is way more depressed on sunny days than it is on cloudy days. However I don't like the cold too much. It's nice for a couple of months, but I start getting depressed when it lasts for more than that. I'm also an introvert and enjoy writing and reading.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,172,059 times
I wouldn't go as far to say I have reverse SAD, but I can relate to the OP's love for cooler, cloudier, darker weather. Fall and early winter are my favorite time of year. It is "depressing" to know that the days will be getting longer again. I love when it starts to get dark around 4:00 in the afternoon. I also love overcast, foggy, rainy, cool days. What I really dislike is when an overcast day becomes partly to mostly sunny, like today for example. A sunny day here and there is okay, but days and days of it get annoying. My least favorite part of the day is mid to late afternoon when the sun is blazing into the house or when you have difficulty driving because of the blinding sun. It also doesn't feel right during the summer to be eating dinner when it's sunny out. Excessive sun can make outdoor activity very uncomfortable and just sitting out in it is uncomfortable. Who wants to deal with sunburn, dry landscapes, and water shortages? When its cloudy out, I have more energy, I'm more productive, and much happier.

A lot of it mindset. Most of the time I feel fine, no matter what the weather is. But I'm usually much more content when it's cloudy and or dark.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,051,077 times
I much prefer cloudy and rainy days of sunny ones, whether it's Winter or Spring or Summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health