Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:17 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,886,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
Wow, and I thought I was the only one. Can't believe the number of like minded cloud worshippers like myself; in fact I would be almost as surprised with just two or three responses in this thread.

I live in Michigan and it seems that even after fourteen straight days of sun people get depressed with one day of rain. WTH? SAD seems to be very common here.

It's over 90 degrees out right now and boy do I hate this sticky weather. Also, I don't like going to the beach because of my hatred of blinding sunlight. I've often fantasized about how cool it would be to live in a cabin in the woods with lots of shade and green stuff around. I never share this with people because they'll look at me with a "huh?" look.

If you ever come to Detroit and wonder who's that weirdo covered up in July it will probably be me, lol.

If I was younger I'd try to save up some money and move to Seattle and frolic in the rain like a madman.
It has been a miserable hot and dry summer here. But that's normal, I live in the second driest state. But the heat has been too much. And day after day of the sun blaring down. I was going nuts, so the mrs and I decided to take a trip to the Oregon coast. That place is heaven on earth to me, as is the Columbia River gorge. It never got above 70f while we were out there for the week. On our first day, we visited some of the waterfalls in the gorge. It was in the low 60's, with very low clouds and some passing fog. Everything was emerald green, mossy and overgrown, and the waves of fog passing through the forests was spectacular.

I lived in the Portland area for a few years and loved going to the gorge or the beaches frequently. I want so bad to live up there again. Like you, my dream is a cabin in mossy, misty and cool woods. But, the week ended, had to come back to work, and once again am stuck in never ending hot sun and mostly cloudless days.

On the first night back I sat on the computer and watched the fog roll in on the coast via live cams. I so long to remain there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,805 times
Smile reverse s a d

Dan i also have reverse S A D.. If you like contact me and we can discuss how this affects our lives.. my name is tim

Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,699,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
Wow, and I thought I was the only one. Can't believe the number of like minded cloud worshippers like myself; in fact I would be almost as surprised with just two or three responses in this thread.

I live in Michigan and it seems that even after fourteen straight days of sun people get depressed with one day of rain. WTH? SAD seems to be very common here.

It's over 90 degrees out right now and boy do I hate this sticky weather. Also, I don't like going to the beach because of my hatred of blinding sunlight. I've often fantasized about how cool it would be to live in a cabin in the woods with lots of shade and green stuff around. I never share this with people because they'll look at me with a "huh?" look.

If you ever come to Detroit and wonder who's that weirdo covered up in July it will probably be me, lol.

If I was younger I'd try to save up some money and move to Seattle and frolic in the rain like a madman.

lol. I know I honestly forgot about the thread. seems there's a lot of depressed people that mostly like overcast days, there's some correlation, I'm sure.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:39 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,699,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcatnip View Post
Thank you for talking about reverse SAD. I've never met anyone else like me before who feels depressed, and physically unwell when it's hot and sunny and bright.

Even with sunglasses I find it hard to function. My face and body get so hot, I feel like I'm going pass out. I have on occasion

Nice to know I'm not alone! Whew. My family thinks I'm nuts and just making a big deal about it. One of these days on a particular hot day when I'm in a really foul mood maybe I will just say - Well I don't pooh-pooh SAD, so how about the same consideration!

did you just make reverse SAD up? LOL. I never heard of that before as a term. If you feel physically sick that might be some other kind of problem. I don't feel sick per se, I just don't like it and prefer overcast days.

I do agree with you that other people tend to think it's nuts, they get all down when it's overcast out. I don't get it.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:36 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,292,739 times
Fall's just around the corner. Some trees are starting to turn. I'm already doing my happy dance!!

My perfect day is 50 degrees; heavy, gray sky; with sporadic drizzle/mist. Sure, sure...I love a cool, crisp, sunny day, too. But I sure do love a gray day.

I'm happiest between the months of October and March. In March when spring arrives, I enter a bad mood period that lasts for about 8 weeks, until finally I just resign myself to the fact that the heat, sun, and humidity are coming back, whether I like it or not. (It's a shame that I feel so pissed off and grumpy during the spring, because the spring is actually quite lovely with all the flowers and everything greening up. But it just means summer is coming. Bah humbug.) My friends laugh at me because I always acknowledge the summer solstice: days start getting shorter, nights start getting longer....HALLELUJAH!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM

313 posts, read 401,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
did you just make reverse SAD up? LOL. I never heard of that before as a term. If you feel physically sick that might be some other kind of problem. I don't feel sick per se, I just don't like it and prefer overcast days.
Nope. I did not make it up.
http://www.nami.org/Content/ContentGroups/Helpline1/Seasonal_Affective_Disorder_(SAD).htm

Seems like some people have trouble with both summer and winter, and others either winter (the more recognized version of SAD) or summer (those of us in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
If you feel physically sick that might be some other kind of problem.
Not sure what other explanation there is because i have no problem until I go in the sun, and the problem goes away when I come indoors.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,557,737 times
I too like cloudy overcast days with a perfectly balanced climate, not too chilly, not too warm, with a smell of someone's fireplace burning in the air. this time of year is perfect for that. it actually makes me want to stay in the office a little more and give it my all more than on a sunny day.

my mood actually picks up as it gets darker and my energy level increases as it gets dark.

last year my mom passed and when i returned home from the funeral i had a day to myself before i went back to work. that day was bad rainstorm but oddly it made me less sad than had it been a sunny day which can induce feelings of loneliness and loss, especially that time between lunch and dinner.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,567 times
Wow!!!It is so nice to find people who ..like me... dread the oncoming spring and then summer !!!!! Also..have you noticed how the TV weather reporters ALWAYS say "well, it's another DREARY day out there...rain /snow all day ...but never fear -tomorrow it will be better with lots of sun"....???? I don't want the weatherman's opinion...just tell the weather. To some people a rainy/snowy day might not be a DREARY day...

Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,764,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Apparently we in this thread are vampires
Or some of us have more in common with bears. May somebody will do a study..

Old 02-25-2013, 06:01 PM

183 posts, read 263,547 times
OMG I thought I alone. I LOVE cloudy and rainy days. Got burnt out on sunshine living in Phx, AZ 9 years. Now I live in Washington State and LOVE this weather. I do not pretend to know why,, but cloudy weather suits me fine. I am where I need to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health