Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,013,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersnow999 View Post
Wow!!!It is so nice to find people who ..like me... dread the oncoming spring and then summer !!!!! Also..have you noticed how the TV weather reporters ALWAYS say "well, it's another DREARY day out there...rain /snow all day ...but never fear -tomorrow it will be better with lots of sun"....???? I don't want the weatherman's opinion...just tell the weather. To some people a rainy/snowy day might not be a DREARY day...
I so agree. Very often, I have been tempted to throw a shoe at the TV when some moron weather reporter becomes almost orgasmic at the thought of reporting that temperatures willl be 20 degrees above normal with enough sun to verge on blinding. I have even called a local TV station to rant about how they report the coming of rain as a "threat" and never acknowledge that after three straight weeks of intense high temps/humidity and sun, that we need the damn rain. A cloudy day can be very relaxing, but brainwashing knows no bounds and the population actually has come to regard rainy/cloudy days as something to dread. Deport them all Death Valley!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,498,567 times
Count me in as a "summer hater" as well. The three hardest months of the year for me are June, July and August, while the lovely months of winter flitter on past wayyyyy too quickly.

When I was a kid, I didn't mind the heat so much, after all, summer meant time off from school, and all the freedom a kid could handle. But as I got older, I began having an increasingly difficult time with heat, mainly due to excessive sweating. Just putting the groceries in the car on a hot summer's day will get me going, and a easy 20-minute walk in July will get me looking like someone who's just finished a hard, 5-mile run. Furthermore, I wear BTE hearing aids, which, quite understandably, are quite sensitve to sweat, so whenever I do any kind of physical activity outdoors in the summer months, they have to come out, and I'm virtually deaf without them. Kinda makes it hard to do things in the heat with others, to say the least.

Also, I'm one of these people who enjoy rainy and overcast days, and I detest long periods of hot, sunny weather. I often call the clear, hot days of summer the "blue skies of death," as that's exactly what they are, as drought and extreme heat ravishes the land. Living down here in the heart of Dixie, I've seen it happen far too often. Furthermore, to add insult to injury, summer is the longest season of the year, with the other three season passing by in quick succession - with summer being the dominant season by far. So, naturally, I tend to get depressed in the summer months, while I cheer up in the shortening days of fall, lasting until the end of the following spring. In summer, I feel trapped inside my home, unable to do much outdoors, my days are filled with apathy and ennui as I stare numbly at the calendar, bemoaning the sheer number of days that must pass before I can be happy and free again. Yeah, it sucks.

One of these days, I can only hope to move to a place that has winter as its dominant season, and summer is the truncated season that passes by in a blur, always in a hurry to get back to wintertime again. Now, that'd be more like it for me. This July, I'm going to check out such a place - the UP of Michigan. I can tell you right now, it's gonna be awfully hard coming back, that's for sure. But maybe, just maybe, I'll be fortunate enough one day to reside in such a wonderful paradise. <Best wishes are more than welcome on this >

Until then, however, I just have to find a way to get through the long, long summer, somehow...day by day...

Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
What a great thread topic! I can't believe I missed it until now!

I am all about clouds, Rain is my favorite weather.

It energies me. It's refreshing and renewing.

I love the smell of it. I love the sound of it. I love the feel of it.

Sunshine depresses me to know end. I feel like it is beating me down.

Clouds provide much needed shade cover from the unbearable sun.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,717,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What a great thread topic! I can't believe I missed it until now!

I am all about clouds, Rain is my favorite weather.

It energies me. It's refreshing and renewing.

I love the smell of it. I love the sound of it. I love the feel of it.

Sunshine depresses me to know end. I feel like it is beating me down.

Clouds provide much needed shade cover from the unbearable sun.

you need to live in Portland!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
you need to live in Portland!!!
I'm already lucky to live in Pittsburgh! We've got a lot of weather going on over here!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,467,908 times
Count me in as a cloudy-weather lover!

Like others, I also get mad at newscasters who label impending rain as "bad weather." I could never live in a climate that was constantly sunny and hot.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,442 times
I love lots of rainy dark days, and dramatic thunder storms, with lightning bolts, (except for drying the laundry), electricity is extremely expensive in Australia, but I like a bit of balance of balmy and bright days, too and if I went on a bushwalk I would like the day to be mild and sunny during the day.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,664 times
You are not alone if you suffer from Reverse SAD, or Summer SAD. Consider joining our forum at:

[url=http://summersad.proboards.com/index.cgi?]Summer Seasonal Affective Disorder - Home[/url]

This is a place where you can voice your frustrations, vent, or even share your coping strategies with others who hate the summer and delight in the calm darkness of the winter months.

We hope to see you there!

GregR

Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,691,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am like the OP - I LOVE rainy, cloudy weather and detest hot weather. I also get very irritable in the heat. I have met few people that have the same preference. I am also more of an introvert. I am a writer and dabble in artwork and projects and love to work on these things when the weather is stormy.

I'm the same way..... Give me cold weather, stormy days, blizzards, cloudy days, etc. I love it. I hate the hot, sunny weather and cannot tolerate heat at all. I've been depressed and miserable the past week here in NY: We've had a heatwave where it's been between 93 and 98 with high humidity for a full week. It's getting "cooler" now.... today it was 84.

I can't wait for November through March and I hope we get an icy cold and stormy winter!

Old 11-28-2013, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,836 times
You have put into words EXACTLY how I feel. I too am so sick and tired of endless sunny, warm days throughout Fall and Winter. The days of seeing any clouds in the months of November and December are few and far between anymore. I'm a native to southern California, and I too have witnessed the changes in weather patterns that have occurred over the course of my life. It's Thanksgiving day and I look outside and ONCE AGAIN, it's a completely cloudless, sunny day...at the end of November. I too want to scream when I hear people talk about how GORGEOUS it is outside, doesn't matter what time of the year it is. What the hell? We NEED the rain, the water. How can so many people be such denial?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health