Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

Its not that I don't like winter, or cloudy misty days. Or that I do like hot weather because I don't. Relentless sun beating down on me takes a toll physically and the same just for heat. I used to love walking the dog in cold windy light sleety days (not for hours or anything and then the feeling of coming inside to a warm cozy home with my cheeks all cold and red and having a nice cup of tea.

However
its not what I LIKE
but what is starting to affect my mood regardless. I'm finding as I get older the lack of
sun wears on me emotionally and drains what little energy I have.

So....I guess that leaves me very......conflicted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:23 AM

389 posts, read 692,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi

I live in the upper Midwest (Grand Forks ND) and I have ran into many people who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) due to our shorter days, and often cloudy and cold weather. Once summer arrives and days are longer many people are very happy.

I am the opposite and always have been. I strongly prefer cloudy days with no sun for days on end and I love nighttime and dislike daylight. This time of the year and through the winter, I am happier, exercise more, and I want to be awake more. Once Spring arrives and the grass greens up and it hits about 70 degrees I can go through a period of severe anxiety and can get very short tempered in the hot temperatures over the summer.

I grew up in Kentucky and was that way as a child too....pulling the blinds down in the summer and never going outside in the heat versus always going out when it snowed in the winter. That is one reason I moved to where I did to escape the summer heat as much as possible. Anything above 75 or 80, and I just dread going outside as I sweat terribly and get very irritated easily.
I just want to stay inside my house with blinds down and the A/C on.

In the winter time...I love being outside and love being cold. I often wear shorts down to 30 degrees where people think I am crazy. My body can tolerate cold very well versus the heat.

My question is how many others out there are like this? I have been recently to my doctor as I noticed over this past summer in particular, my irritiability and anger was more severe than usual. I can usually handle two sunny days in a row, but give my 4 or 5 without much clouds and I just feel like shutting myself in and my wife notices I am way more irritable and I complain all the time. I had my doctor do blood work and all was normal with the exception of testosterone which was in the 180 range (I am in my mid 40s). I started treatment, but while that may explain the extreme irritability and moodiness over the past summer, it doesnt explain my aversion to sun and my love of cloudy days.

I am in the weather forecasting field as a career, and for this upcoming week in my area it will be cloudy for the next 5-7 days. I am elated and so happy as it had been sunny for the past few days. My co-workers talk about the gloom and I love it. Surely there are others like this.

My doctor has said that reverse SAD is real and I certainly feel it.

Sorry for the rambling....
Dan
Are you part of the Addams family?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,880 times
Default Love storm clouds-completely sick of sun!!!

Hello Dan,
I just read your post and I think we were seperated at birth. I am unlucky enough to live in San Diego,where there has been an ongoing drought for the last fourteen years. 2013 has been our driest on record and 2014 is starting out just as bad. I have cried every morning for the last 2 weeks because of the weather(lack of weather). Sun day after day after day after day after day. No end in sight. Not even clouds anymore. Rain and a great thunderstorm are only memories. How I miss them! My family is completely tired of hearing me complain. I really do not know what I am going to do. I have no control over the weather. I even took a rare trip to Houston over the summer, hoping to catch a monsoon over the Gulf. The rotten clear skies followed me there and when I got back to San Diego, it was more of the same. I do not watch news anymore, because the weather reports from other parts of the country makes me jealous and angry. I am native to this ugly dustbowl. I cannot tell you how badly I want to move east, where there are seasons, and everything is beautiful and green. Out here, all the foliage is dead and dying. All is brown except for people's watered lawns.Wait until the water runs out.I would move tomorrow if I had the money. All people that live out here think it is paradise.Such a lie! It's over crowded,expensive,dry,and hot.Give me some land and a little farm in New Hampshire or Maine. Rolling hills,green pastures,flowers,snow in winter,and streams that actually have water running in them.All the forecasters out here always say another gorgeous sunny day!I hate that!!Lately,I have been using Google streetview to drive through the lovely countryside of upstate New York.Why couldn't I have been born there?I have to pretend to be in a good mood,but really I am mad and sad.A wonderful cloud filled day would do wonders for my attitude,but for now I am starting to feel really depressed again because it looks like another sunny day tomorrow.Big surprise!!! Write back Dan.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
I'm pretty sure i have reverse SAD too and I have to live in Nor Cal with 100s in the summer and lucky to get cloudy days. It is my dream to one day live in the Legendary Seattle.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Cooper View Post
Hello Dan,
I just read your post and I think we were seperated at birth. I am unlucky enough to live in San Diego,where there has been an ongoing drought for the last fourteen years. 2013 has been our driest on record and 2014 is starting out just as bad. I have cried every morning for the last 2 weeks because of the weather(lack of weather). Sun day after day after day after day after day. No end in sight. Not even clouds anymore. Rain and a great thunderstorm are only memories. How I miss them! My family is completely tired of hearing me complain. I really do not know what I am going to do. I have no control over the weather. I even took a rare trip to Houston over the summer, hoping to catch a monsoon over the Gulf. The rotten clear skies followed me there and when I got back to San Diego, it was more of the same. I do not watch news anymore, because the weather reports from other parts of the country makes me jealous and angry. I am native to this ugly dustbowl. I cannot tell you how badly I want to move east, where there are seasons, and everything is beautiful and green. Out here, all the foliage is dead and dying. All is brown except for people's watered lawns.Wait until the water runs out.I would move tomorrow if I had the money. All people that live out here think it is paradise.Such a lie! It's over crowded,expensive,dry,and hot.Give me some land and a little farm in New Hampshire or Maine. Rolling hills,green pastures,flowers,snow in winter,and streams that actually have water running in them.All the forecasters out here always say another gorgeous sunny day!I hate that!!Lately,I have been using Google streetview to drive through the lovely countryside of upstate New York.Why couldn't I have been born there?I have to pretend to be in a good mood,but really I am mad and sad.A wonderful cloud filled day would do wonders for my attitude,but for now I am starting to feel really depressed again because it looks like another sunny day tomorrow.Big surprise!!! Write back Dan.
Hi...I know its rough living with in a climate you hate..I grew up in Kentucky and hates the summers. March isn't the best month for me due to increased daylight and here our June days go on past 930p and sunrises around 530a. I am on some medication to help me better deal with daylight and heat and it helps to even out the mood swings.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi...I know its rough living with in a climate you hate..I grew up in Kentucky and hates the summers. March isn't the best month for me due to increased daylight and here our June days go on past 930p and sunrises around 530a. I am on some medication to help me better deal with daylight and heat and it helps to even out the mood swings.

if you don't mind me asking, what medication and does it help?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
I may have posted in this thread before....

It is nice to read thst others feel as though I do. It has been a rough winter this year, pretty much for everyine. Most people are sick of it and yearning for the cold weather to end. Although I don't hate the snow, I am ready for that to end, but I love the colder weather! I would be happy w/ 1-2 weeks of Summer temps to spend some time at the beach and then right back to the cold weather.
I feel like a strange person when everyone is complaining about the cold,etc.. I just kind of shrug my shoulders and say " it's Winter, it should be cold".

I think I prefer the shorter,darker days because it feels more relaxed to me. I love having my family home on a cold,Winter's night vs. the craziness of outdoor Summer activities ,etc...

Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I may have posted in this thread before....

It is nice to read thst others feel as though I do. It has been a rough winter this year, pretty much for everyine. Most people are sick of it and yearning for the cold weather to end. Although I don't hate the snow, I am ready for that to end, but I love the colder weather! I would be happy w/ 1-2 weeks of Summer temps to spend some time at the beach and then right back to the cold weather.
I feel like a strange person when everyone is complaining about the cold,etc.. I just kind of shrug my shoulders and say " it's Winter, it should be cold".

I think I prefer the shorter,darker days because it feels more relaxed to me. I love having my family home on a cold,Winter's night vs. the craziness of outdoor Summer activities ,etc...
so agree with your post. Long winter here with lots of snow days but I enjoyed it. Now-boom,it's Spring and freaking longer days filled with waaaaaay too much sunshine. Puts me in a mood.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:43 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,603 times
I'm totally the same way. Honestly I get most depressed in summer and sometimes get tired of the cold cloudy weather too, I like 60-65 degrees the best!

My apartment is old (1968) and has basically no ventilation so too cold and too hot is both hard to deal with, but given the choice I'd rather it be too cold.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times
I like some sun, but only when it's not hot. When it's hot and sunny (hot and cloudy weather is rare here), I can't wait for cool, refreshing rain. Plus, the rain makes grass green, I hate when grass in summer becomes brown (in winter, I tolerate lack of greenery much easier, I don't know why, may be because I'm already used to that and may be also because I tolerate cold easier than heat, although I don't really like when it's too cold, but I still take it over scorching heat).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health