Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:59 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,324,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
UGH...

I've been married to a BP for a buncha years. He thinks drinking solves the problems, which made things worse. He quit drinking for 7 mos, which was great, no outbursts. He smokes mj but just makes him "tune out" but pretty mellow and nice.
So, What if he REFUSES to see someone (brain butcher) and to take meds....?
I'd rather promote the use of the MJ. I can actually live with him then.
Alcohol seems to "fuel the fire".

I AM SICK OF BIPOLAR......
Brain butcher?

What does he think he is doing to his brain by excessively drinking and smoking pot? He's doing more damage to his brain that way, then by seeing a dr. who can evaluate his situation and determine the right meds and monitor his use and the effect they are having.

Excessive alcohol and pot use will do way worse to his brain then on a controlled amount of prescription meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 PM

806 posts, read 2,335,725 times
I know!! I've tried to explain this to him.....

He has this thing against "modern medicine".
Because of this, I eventually became "depressed" and have been managing pretty well on a med and rarely drink, a beer on Fridays if that...
He puts me down for it..
I told him, "you're mentally abusive" when his fits of rage and blaming start.
He's like, "oh, you don't know what I'm going through..

BTW- by most standards, we are very lucky, have a great life and have PLENTY to be thankful for.
He cannot tolerate authority, or any of his bosses, has held Numerous (good) jobs in the past 6 years. We live in a small town, and I'm afraid he is running out of
employment options.

Thanks for letting me rant. I appreciate any feedback, as I have no-one to talk to...

Old 02-24-2011, 04:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,553,169 times
Schizophrenia is a completely different animal, and would be different drugs. Risperdal (spelling?) or halperidol (Haldol).

Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,324,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
I know!! I've tried to explain this to him.....

He has this thing against "modern medicine".
Because of this, I eventually became "depressed" and have been managing pretty well on a med and rarely drink, a beer on Fridays if that...
He puts me down for it..
I told him, "you're mentally abusive" when his fits of rage and blaming start.
He's like, "oh, you don't know what I'm going through..

BTW- by most standards, we are very lucky, have a great life and have PLENTY to be thankful for.
He cannot tolerate authority, or any of his bosses, has held Numerous (good) jobs in the past 6 years. We live in a small town, and I'm afraid he is running out of
employment options.

Thanks for letting me rant. I appreciate any feedback, as I have no-one to talk to...
It really sounds like a therapist might be a good option for you. It would help you have someone to talk this over with and it would prob make you feel better and help you.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:39 PM

Yeah, I would love to join a support group.

He is having a better day today, after I removed the kids from the home and left him alone until midnight...(I went to work)
He said he was lonely and said sorry to the kids.
AND let me explain bipolar and alcohol to him....
We will see...

Old 02-25-2011, 01:20 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,659,747 times
NAMI is for family members. There is an organizaitonal chapter in every state, many have more than one. Google it to find one near you.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 AM

55 posts, read 140,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldUndeniable View Post
Abilify. For my bipolar relative, the difference was like night and day. No joke, it was like a miracle.

she was on 20mg of paxil.i got her to counseling and they put her on abilify.two straight days she got really mean and violent so we had to pull the plug on that after the third day.they then took her off abilify and upped her dosage to 40 mg of paxil.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,050,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Schizophrenia is a completely different animal, and would be different drugs. Risperdal (spelling?) or halperidol (Haldol).
Not really. Both Schizophrenia and Bipolar are treated with antipsychotics.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 AM

I though Paxil was an antidepressent...

Thanks SouthernBelle! I will look it up!

He now agrees that ALCOHOL multiplies his downs, so has agreed to stop (again)

I CAN'T put up with it. There's no basis for the arguments, and they don't SOLVE anything...

He was blaming his life and where we live.. I said take the tax money and find a place that will make you happy.. He said, oh I can't leave you and the kids, I said, Please DO!!!!! We will be fine!!

We all have ups and downs, depression and regrets. It's just managing our stress levels and not self medicating with alch, drugs, food, etc. that we need to be careful of...

Old 02-27-2011, 10:54 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,403,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE2015 View Post
i've lived with my girlfriend almost 14 years and we have two children that are six and five years of age.throughout the years there have been two or three times a year that usually around a period of a week where my girlfriend would run off out of the clear blue or start doing really off the wall stuff.for instance last year i caught her at a neighbor of ours that we really dislike and she was drinking a beer with this guy and i had to get her out of there quick.usually she would threaten to leave me or threaten to take the kids out of school and move up north to her mother's.after a few days of fighting all the sudden she would seem extremely depressed or remorseful and beg for my forgiveness.well i finally figured out recently this out of the blue behavior could be bipolar and she is trying different meds such as paxil or lexapro.recently a couple days ago for the first time in months i caught her lying about something and she starting acting out again.i can't take this anymore.its the main reason i never married her.how do you deal with it??
What kind of Dr is she seeing and does she get counseling to? Had a neighbor once that was BPolar and she was in counseling I think she saw a Psychiatrist but ever so often she would go off her meds and become suicidal. You might try a bunch of different meds before you find the right one.
If she becomes violent then call the police. You have to do what you can to protect you and your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health