Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM

43 posts, read 129,269 times

Advertisements

I've never had anything particularly traumatic happen to me. I've never been abused. But I have struggled with depression for as long as I can remember. I have been on anti-depressants for five years now. I started on Prozac, then I was on Paxil. Now I'm on 450 mg. of Wellbutrin daily. All of this was diagnosed and prescribed by general practitioners or nurse practitioners, not actual psychiatrists. I have tried therapy before and have never found it to be helpful, but I think that was because of the "therapists" I was seeing. The one I saw was through my university counseling center and she was just a grad student and wasn't helpful at ALL; I felt like I was wasting my time, and she barely said anything during my sessions, except to make remarks like "That must have been difficult for you" or other things to that effect. Yeah, no sh*t lady, why do you think I'm coming to see you? I got better help from just talking to my friends.
I was also diagnosed with ADD a few years ago and have been on a couple different strengths of Adderall, which does help me function throughout the day. Despite being on these medications that help me at least get out of bed and make an attempt at being a functioning adult, I still feel like I have a lot of issues that need resolving and that are holding me back from being my best self. I feel like I have a complete lack of coping skills. I get frustrated very easily by the littlest things, I'm easily affected by bad news in the world, and have trouble filtering out distractions and prioritizing things in my life. I've had trouble with interpersonal relationships. If I read in the news that there are no jobs, the economy is bad, college degrees get you nowhere anymore, I take it very personally and feel like there is no point in even trying because, well, the newspaper basically said the world is ending. I have trouble maintaining inner peace and serenity, and finding happiness has always been extremely difficult for me. My parents find me exasperating because they say I'm a "grass is always greener" person, that I've lived my life waiting for the next best thing, waiting to be happy when I reach a certain place or point in my life. I've made bad choices for boyfriends, and have had terrible experiences in my romantic relationships. I've settled a lot because often I don't think I deserve much better, although sometimes I get an uncontrollable superiority complex. My mom and I have had a very tense and poor relationship. I have some communication issues. I get angry very easily by little things and I'm irritated by other people and how stupid everyone seems to me. I get furious about things like celebrities and how much everyone pays attention to them. Why should I get so angry about that?

I'm basically just listing things that I feel have been screwing my quality of life up a lot. I turn 24 in a few days, and I really don't want to spend the rest of my life struggling to handle basic things that everyone else seems to deal with just fine. I make things a lot harder than they should be and I self-sabotage, over-analyze, and worry incessantly. I know that life is hard for everybody but I feel like I make things harder than they need to be, and I don't know how to just cope with life and figure out what matters and what I should just brush off. I don't even know if all of this warrants therapy. But I feel like I've just been prescribed medications by a doctor so I don't throw myself off a bridge in utter distress over not being able to just be an adult and get up in the morning and deal with life. I don't even know if I'm on the right dosages. I kind of feel like I'm just blindly taking meds so I can just go along with the crowd but I feel like there's a much better way for me to be handling life than shoveling pills down my throat. But maybe all of this is just self-indulgent and I should shut up and stop thinking so much and just smile and be grateful for what I have. I don't know. I couldn't even afford to see a psychiatrist if I really needed to. And I don't know what the differences are between seeing a therapist, a psychologist, a psychiatrist, except that I know a psychiatrist can prescribe meds. I just don't know why such basic things in life seem harder for me than for other people. I feel like I've been an outsider my whole life, watching everyone else live while I scratch and struggle at the surface of whatever "happiness" is, while my brain goes around and around itself, never stopping with the constant anger and hopelessness and negativity.

Sorry for the novel. I'm just tired of feeling like my life is slipping away while I try to figure out what I want from life, what will make me happy, and why I keep sabotaging myself. Thoughts?

Last edited by sinister sugar; 11-16-2010 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 04:06 PM

84 posts, read 264,957 times
I have depression and when I was on the wrong medication it didn't help me at all. My primary doctor suggested that I see a psychiatrist. Well that was the best thing to happen to me he is the one who found out I was bipolar and not just regular depression and he started me on different medications and they were the right ones. Now I am happy and don't feel like life is to hard to cope with.

I suggest you go to a psychiatrist and ask him for a referal to another counselor so you can do both.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
A "therapist" may only have a Master's in Counseling, depending on your's state's licensing act. A "psychologist" has a Ph.D. and is trained to deal with more serious issues than a therapist might be. A psychiatrist is a M.D. who may also provide therapy but usually doesn't. The usual course is to see a psychiatrist for meds and a psychologist for therapy.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
You've listed a lot of interesting things here. It sounds like therapy and a pychiatrist could be one way to go.

I can't help it, but I always have book recommendations so here goes:

The How of Happiness...This book was written by a psychologist and summarizes 12 strategies you can use to make yourself happier. The author reocmmends you try 3 or 4 strategies that will work best for you and she gives a diagnostic quiz to help you figure this out.

Moderator cut: not allowed The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want ): Sonja Lyubomirsky:

The Relationship Cure. This goes for all kinds of relationships, not just romantic ones. I'm re-reading it myself and found out I was not applying the (pretty common sense) concepts to the relationship with my boyfriend....Uhhh, maybe that's why we're having a rocky time right now.

Moderator cut: not alloweed The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships ): John Gottman:

Is He Mr. Right? This is more stictly foucused on finding a good match in a romantic partner. You're might not be ready for this one yet, but it gives great general guidelines about the 5 aspects of "chemistry", and how you need all 5 in order for there to be a good relationship that lasts.

Moderator cut: not allowed Is He Mr. Right?: Everything You Need to Know Before You Commit: Mira Kirshenbaum: I think these books would do a great job augmenting any therapy you do. Or even if you decide not to do therapy, I know they've helped me a lot.

As with anything, personal growth & development & happiness will take effort and moving out of your "normal" way of thinking/being if you want to make progress...but I suspect you know that.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-17-2010 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: cannot provide full links to Amazon; their associates program can earn you $

Old 11-20-2010, 11:58 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,928,362 times
You need therapy along with drug therapy....that way, you'll learn to cope with whatever issues you may have. Go see a professional. Know in advance that it can take a long time, and you may not find the right therapist or Doctor right away...you may have to try several to find the right "fit"! Good luck! And do know, it's totally worth it!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:05 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,449,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
A "therapist" may only have a Master's in Counseling, depending on your's state's licensing act. A "psychologist" has a Ph.D. and is trained to deal with more serious issues than a therapist might be. A psychiatrist is a M.D. who may also provide therapy but usually doesn't. The usual course is to see a psychiatrist for meds and a psychologist for therapy.
In most states, you need far more than a Masters degree to see patients in a private practice setting. Generally, therapists cannot be licensed to independently treat clients in private practice until they have satisfied very strict requirements, such as supervision from a licensed therapist, direction in an mental health setting, and passing a test administered by a national agency. This process usually takes at least 3-4 years (or longer,) and the process cannot be initiated until after the individual has earned a Masters degree. After the license is earned, the counselors are required to obtain continuing education on an ongoing basis (similar laws apply to physicians and psychologists.)

Psychologists are generally very competent therapists, but therapists who have clinical licenses in Social Work, Professional Counseling, and Marriage/Family Therapy can also provide very competent counseling services, often at lower fees. Furthermore, many insurance companies (including Medicare and Medicaid) will cover services provided by these professionals. Lastly, Masters-level therapists are trained extensively to recognize when a medical, psychopharmacological or psychological intervention (e.g. psychometric testing) may be needed, and will refer their clients appropriately. Likewise, Psychologists and Psychiatrists will often refer patients to masters-level therapists when necessary.

As for the OP's issue, I would start with a Psychiatrist, since medication is already an issue. Generally, medication and counseling work very well together, and insurance compnies will not pay a Psychiatrist to do therapy nowadays. So finding a good psychologist or therapist is the next step. I would ask your Psychiatrist for recommendations for a therapist. Better yet, find a Psychiatrist who practices with someone who can provide therapy. If you and your Psychiatrist agree to taper off of the medication, you can continue with the therapist when you no longer need help from the Psychiatrist.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:40 AM

10,102 posts, read 19,300,689 times
In most states, you need far more than a Masters degree to see patients in a private practice setting. Generally, therapists cannot be licensed to independently treat clients in private practice until they have satisfied very strict requirements, such as supervision from a licensed therapist, direction in an mental health setting, and passing a test administered by a national agency. This process usually takes at least 3-4 years (or longer,) and the process cannot be initiated until after the individual has earned a Masters degree. After the license is earned, the counselors are required to obtain continuing education on an ongoing basis (similar laws apply to physicians and psychologists.)

Yep, I've been to "highly qualifed therapists" with all the right credentials, and my experience was like the OP---all they do is sit there and look at you, they barely say a thing, except pat answers like "that must have been difficult for you" or "what do you think" "what do you feel" They never say one thing you can use.

I took my son to 3 months of counseling, all very time consuming and expensive, she mostly talked with him, a little with us. At the end of all that, all she said was "you have to realize, you ds is just his own person" That was IT just that one sentence, nothing, zilch, zero, nada, no insight, no tips on how to help him,, nothing! We ended up worse off than before, all that time money, effort, not to mention hope just for that! Then people kept asking us well, what does the counselor say? she never says anything!

IMO, counseling is the biggest farce in this nation. Everyone who has a problem is told get counseling. Then its what does the counselor say? Then they never say a word! Its criminal, they shouldn't get paid for nothing! Oh, but they write up their reports like they really did something. They know what to write for legal, insurance, but they never give anything to the patient.

OP, I feel for you. But you're just 24, I felt my whole life was over at 24, but went on to a marvelous life. You perhaps are a bit impatient, waiting for the happiness you are seeking? Its really there, just stop chasing it, and it will reveal itself to you. I sent you a pm

Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,064,626 times
Your post could have been written by me in my 20s or 30s. FINALLY I found a doctor who hit the nail on the head re: the right medicine. I now have absolutely no more anxiety or depression. Cymbalta. Find a psychiatrist and mention it. I'm in my 40s now and wish I would have been on it the whole time, it is the only thing that has worked for me.

Hang in there. It WILL work itself out. I promise.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
There are bad/mediocre/good therapist and psychologists just as there are in any field. If the first one doesn't help, try another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health