Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,787,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
So if you get breast cancer, you will only gop to a breast cancer survivor? If you get schizophrenia, you will only go to a schizophrenic doctor? Ridiculous!
These are both WAY out of the realm of which I speak. Ridiculous are the comparisons.

After thinking on this... Yes, I would actually prefer, if I were a woman, to SPEAK with someone that had been through a breast cancer experience. Schizophrenia? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
You do realize that you're taking meds from a doctor who probably hasn't shared your particular symptoms? Dispensed by a pharmacist with the same faults?

BTW - in your initial post you stated

Yet in your next reply you mention your wife. Did I misread this?
Thing is... I was prescribed this med and they just happen to work. My doctor isn't a therapist or counselor. His 'faults' are different. No, you did not misread. We have 12 years together. Not legally married, but we consider ourselves so. We have something much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Counselors learn from a wide range of sources. Books are one source, of course, but far more knowledge is gained from course work, supervision, training seminars, and education they receive from clients. Read that last one again. A substance abuse counselor who has never been addicted to cocaine will strive to learn what it is like to be an addict by treating clients who have had this problem. This does not substitute for actual experience, but it does put the therapist in a position to help others down the road. After a counselor has learned from a few dozen cocaine addicts, he or she is far more skilled, and can thus do a better job of helping others down the road. I know a psychiatrist who works particularly well with combat veterans, because he graduated from West Point and served a tour Vietnam. He has never had ADHD, but is nonetheless very skilled in treating this disorder, and many other disorders. He has over 100,000 patient visits over 30+ years of practice, and has seen well over 10,000 individual clients. Over the years, his clients have taught him what it like to have dozens of serious mental illnesses. He uses this education to substitute for real-life experience.

A previous poster made an excellent point. If only a therapist with a history of substance abuse could treat individuals with addictions, the vast majority of people with addictive disorders would never be able to find a therapist. Likewise, no therapist could possible make a living if he or she were only limited to treating disorders that he or she has personally been diagnosed with previously.
Then these counselors (college classes included), IMO, should be 'paired' with someone that has successfully conquered their addiction. Whether it be food, sugar, sex, drugs, gambling, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The OP's text supports his theory by stating he'd never go to a marriage counselor who hadn't been married. His claim about the drug counselor theory might very well be sound, but he's basing it on illogical data.
There is nothing illogical about the voice of experience. I'm only talking 'successful' experience. We count on successful grades from college graduates. Not always do successful grades mean success. Hence, lawsuits and other mishaps. As well as not all rehab is successful. The first step to success is 'wanting'. With a willingness to work for it. We all learn one way or another. Things will never be perfect. However, if we can learn to work together... education plus experience equals a move towards improvement of life. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 05:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,649,334 times
There's no such thing as a successful recovery. Recovery lasts the rest of your life. If you die sober, then I suppose you can say you recovered successfully. Recovery can't be measured by success/failure.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,451,032 times
Quote:
There's no such thing as a successful recovery. Recovery lasts the rest of your life. If you die sober, then I suppose you can say you recovered successfully. Recovery can't be measured by success/failure.
Very true. The Recovery Model for treatment has its roots in substance abuse treatment. Over the past few years, research and new treatments have apply the Recovery Model to mental illness treatment as well.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,388,643 times
Quote:
This is true, recovery is a life long thing..
I can say I am recovering successfully but I dare not kid myself and think I could ever drink again..
On the down side of that there are some who will say..ohh you wait he will drink again, those people I ignore.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,578,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Thing is... I was prescribed this med and they just happen to work. My doctor isn't a therapist or counselor. His 'faults' are different.
OK, I understand. I might say that he IS a therapist, of a sort, but that's just splitting hairs.

Quote:
No, you did not misread. We have 12 years together. Not legally married, but we consider ourselves so. We have something much better.
Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health