Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: To take the medication or not to take the medication
Don't take the medication. You don't need it. 3 16.67%
Take the medication. You need it. 11 61.11%
Take the medication in times where you desperately need it only! 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:14 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,324,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
The brain is the ORGAN that assists all the other parts of your body to work correctly. SOME people and not themselves without medications because the brain secretes or withholds various things in order for the body to function. Some people secrete or withhold too much or not enough of these things - exactly like the thyroid condition - and require medical assistance to correct it.

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience with this issue and I personally think there are a lot of private practice psychiatrists out there who don't give a crap and do things for the money, but there are also very good doctors out there and it takes time and trial and error to find one sometimes. But your jaded and continued use of the word quacks and such is not helpful for people who need assistance and all it does is make them afraid to seek help.
WIN!

End of thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:06 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,254,922 times
Well, for those who are so passionate against all medicines. . .

I'm sure grateful for them, because they certainly improve MY quality of life. And, yes, I deal with some side-effects. But I also know that the "effects" would be a helluva lot worse if I didn't take them ~ physically first, then mentally because of the depression that would ensue from the physical debilitations. As Thursday007 pointed out, trial and error on the proper medication can take a little time, as it did with me. But it also requires effort on the patient to take them as prescribed.

Many diabetics have to rely on insulin and, for some reason, people don't bat an eye at this. Yes, insulin is a body's production. But so is the sodium provided in certain medicines like Librium to help balance bipolar disorder. I know a girl who simply cannot function without it. Her body is devoid of this chemical ~ the pill provides what she doesn't have, it's the only thing that works for her. And she has to take it for the rest of her life. Like many people on such therapy, once in awhile she'll convince herself that she's well enough to wean out of her Librium, and what ensues is not pretty.
Her body lacks an important chemical and it's her responsiblity to keep it replenished in order to live a normal life. There is no reason that she should make herself ~ and her loved ones ~ miserable from stubborness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health