Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you smoke?
Yes 9 25.71%
No 26 74.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

No I have never smoked in my life.

Summer fun is going smokeless as outdoor smoking bans sweep the nation.
The number of cities and counties that bar smoking in outdoor areas — including parks, cafes, concert venues, stadiums and beaches — has soared from 30 in 1999 to at least 1,124 today, according to the American Non-smokers' Rights Foundation, an advocacy group that tracks local ordinances.

Smoking bans going from inside out - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 07:00 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
Smoking bans are a good thing. I do smoke a cigar on occasion, but I do realize smoke bothers people and I'm very careful about where I smoke. Usually on my back porch.

Even as a smoker, the one thing that bothers me is smelling smoke in restaurants. Even with nonsmoking sections you can still smell the smoke and it can ruin the meal.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:17 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
I was recently doing some research on second hand smoke. I found that I probably have asthma today because my birth Mother was exposed to second hand smoke throughout her entire pregnancy.

I have done all I can to make sure my daughter has not been exposed. When I was pregnant, I was agressive...and when she was a baby...I was SO careful. So far, she has a better immune system and fewer respiratory problems then I do.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
When we look at the freedoms we've lost "for our own good," a time traveler from 100 years ago who had a basic understanding of government's proper function under the federal and state constitutions would be apalled at the freedoms that have slithered away from us courtesy of the do-gooders of the world.
IMO there is nothing more dangerous to freedom than a self-righteous "fixer."
Child abuse laws, seat belt laws, smoking laws...however well intentioned, every law ever passed has morphed into something that can, will be, and is abused and misused by people who love having authority over others, down a slippery slope.
Political correctness and hate crimes laws are perfect examples of the disease, they amount to thought/speech control.
Who is watching the do-gooder watchers?

Old 07-14-2007, 12:09 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
let's ban the perfume/cologne wearers because they cause me to have migraines and asthma attacks. Next the drinkers cause gawd only knows how many deaths are the result of drunk drivers. Move on the cell phone talking drivers who can't chew gum and walk much less drive and talk on the phone. I know cause 2 of them nearly caused me to have a car accident just today. Why stop at that though-we need to stop the electronic companies from adding games,emails,cameras and lord only knows what else to cell phones because well first off they ARE phones and as such should be used as just that. And secondly someone is taking pictures of others w/out permission and well that is just wrong. Move on to the barking dogs and screaming kids who are everywhere because in the long run I just know they are going to cause me hearing loss. Now let's chuck the outdoor barbeques because who knows what that is releasing into the atmosphere for others to breath. Ban anything in an aerosol can.
Stop the madness..................let us all just get into a bubble and live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
When we look at the freedoms we've lost "for our own good," a time traveler from 100 years ago who had a basic understanding of government's proper function under the federal and state constitutions would be apalled at the freedoms that have slithered away from us courtesy of the do-gooders of the world.
IMO there is nothing more dangerous to freedom than a self-righteous "fixer."
Child abuse laws, seat belt laws, smoking laws...however well intentioned, every law ever passed has morphed into something that can, will be, and is abused and misused by people who love having authority over others, down a slippery slope.
Political correctness and hate crimes laws are perfect examples of the disease, they amount to thought/speech control.
Who is watching the do-gooder watchers?

Old 07-21-2007, 11:58 AM

35 posts, read 195,287 times
At the end of may this year, our city has finally banned smoking in any public building. It is SO nice to go into any restaurant and be able to taste the food instead of smelling smoke all the time(did you know that without your sense of smell, your sense of taste doesn't function?).
I do not smoke, never have. Both my parents smoked, dad died from it at 59, mum has severe asthma and emphysema from it. 5 kids in our family, none of us smoke, but we all have breathing and allergy problems.
Thanks mum and dad for your "gifts" to us....hmmmmm....aren't parent's supposed to protect their kids????

gracemycat

Old 07-21-2007, 12:21 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
Nope, don't smoke.

And it is nice to go into an establishment without hitting 'the wall of smoke', as you enter. The smell of smoke makes me nauseous.

It's interesting though, I'm noticing more cigarette butts in front of pubs and such. I've seen people that just don't care and flick them on the streets.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:37 PM

118 posts, read 206,923 times
I noticed that at the Philadelphia Airport, too! People just throwing their butts. The problem is there are no receptacles (ashtray or sand buckets) to put your butt out in. They have something I call "BUTT ALLEY"! People smoke outside the airport and put their butts out in the dirt area in between the terminals. I find it disgusting. I do smoke and I always throw my butts in the trash. I live in a beautiful state & I'd like to keep it that way. Not just smokers litter the landscape. I am constantly picking up trash, i.e, wrappers, cans, bottles, McDonalds bags, - you name it. I see people throwing their trash on the road because they don't want the mess in their cars. Let's be fair here. If there was an ashtray it would be used.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:22 AM

38,886 posts, read 22,870,508 times
No, I'm a lifelong non-smoker. Thankfully, where I live, we have rather strict no-smoking policies in public places. I could still remember how it used to be before the laws were put in place. Yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health