Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 06:52 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme01 View Post
i've always been pretty skinny but while being sick a few weeks I lost 4,5 lbs again. So my doc advised me last week to eat 3 full "healthy" meals a day (I cook myself ).

I did as I was advised until today but my belly seems unable to take any more food. It was growing each day but after that last meal It became hard and round like a soccer ball. But there's more: When I feel my stomach gets full I can see it bulging out beneath my ribs on the left. I know it's my stomach because I can feel it when I press a little. When I lie down there's some visible activity in my lower belly too! I can even tell whether my stomach is still full or if the food has moved further down.

Of course I phoned my doctor about this but she said it's all normal because I'm so skinny and there's almost no muscles or fat on my belly.

Now I don't know what to do... Can I eat some more with a already "hard" belly? Is there any chance that a usually very flat belly cannot process a certain amount of food? Maybe I'm just making myself mad but I also have loud digestion noises when I'm that full. It sounds like there's a lot of pressure causing problems - but maybe my belly is just very busy. At least it doesn't hurt
I simply don't know and I would appreciate any tips or help.
This is a photo of the abdomen link - it looks like your intestines are swollen.

I'd say to go back to eating the way you usually do; you might try adding some Boost (nutrition shakes) to get extra calories. You will regain the weight; It's going to take time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
This is a photo of the abdomen link - it looks like your intestines are swollen.

I'd say to go back to eating the way you usually do; you might try adding some Boost (nutrition shakes) to get extra calories. You will regain the weight; It's going to take time
Don't start eating high calorie junk to make up your caloric requirements. I'll second the use of Boost or Ensure. There's another high calorie (healthy) juice that comes in a kid's juice box sized container, but the name escapes me. Have you tried eating 6 small meals rather than 3 large ones? It seems a little silly to eat until you're overfull.

Also, are you skinny to the point of being unhealthy? If you were sick and lost 5 pounds, you'll most likely gain it back within a few months.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
OP. I can relate to what you're going through as far as not feeling like you have room for food in your stomach. I used to be super skinny. I never really understood why doctors were telling me to gain weight. When I finally started to gain weight in my 30s, I realize now that I was way too skinny. I look back at pictures of myself when I was younger and I realize I was very unhealthy looking. When I first started trying to gain weight, I couldn't force myself to eat more. I was never someone who had a big appetite. I didn't have an eating disorder. I was just never a big eater.

Anyways, part of the reason I couldn't eat more was because my stomach had shrunk. Stomachs get smaller in people who don't eat very much. (Similarly, people who eat too much get stomachs that are stretched out---that's why they are hungry after having a normal sized meal.) As a result, stop forcing yourself to eat 3 big meals per day. Instead eat 6 small meals per day.

Seeing the lumps is normal in super skinny people. That's right, what you see is poop moving through your system.

Your stomach could be bloating for many reasons. But before you run off to have an upper and lower GI, start adding fiber to your diet. I have no idea what you've been eating, but if you're constipated, your stomach will bloat out like that. You might not realize you're constipated because diareha might be seeping around.

Adding fiber will help food move through your system naturally. I recommend soft and hard fibers. Eat lots of vegetables and lots of fruit for the water absorbing fibers. But also eat lots of nuts and seeds for the hard fibers. Both types of fiber help move food through your system. You could eat smaller meals at your 3 meal sittings and then add these vegetable, fruit, nut and seed fiber foods to three snacks throughout the day inbetween your three meals. But definitely eat these fiber foods with your meals too.

Also drink lots of water. Water is super important for your body. It helps your digestive system move food through your body.

You also need to become more active. Movement helps your digestive system. Walking, doing stretches, sit ups. Any activity that gets your abdomin moving is good. You really do need to start exercising. When I was super thin, I was all bone and muscle. You don't even have muscle. It's no wonder you are having a difficult time moving food through your system.

I guarantee you that food will move through your system better once you add more fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and water to your diet and become more physically active.

You look like you need at least 15 more pounds to be in a healthy weight. Trust me from experience, when you gain the weight, go buy new clothes. You won't feel fat if your clothes fit and aren't too tight. This is important because you won't be fat when you only weight 15 pounds more.

A bloated and swollen stomach is a normal reaction to changes in eating habits for people who are seriously under weight. That's why it's important that you stick to a healthy eating schedule---eating at the same time per day. Your body needs to get used to having food again. In time, your body will adjust to eating and your stomach won't be swollen anymore.

Whatever you do, don't use laxatives. That will just cause your stomach to always go through phases of bloating. Adding fiber via fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds will promote regular bowel movements. You need to allow your body to do this naturally.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-26-2010 at 11:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health