Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Just like any of the medical issues that we've addressed over the years I'm going to put my faith in science. The list of problems that we can at least identify, if not solve is enormous and includes things we take for granted like anti-biotics, treatments for diabetes, cancer, transplants, MS and so on and so forth.

Probably the saddest thing of this incident are:
1) It took this long for there to be a detailed review and for news of it being a paid study to get out.
2) The lasting damage as tens of thousands will still cling to this study like some bad internet email chain from nigerian dictators or the kid collecting business cards or whatever.

Frankly, I think the guy should be brought up on criminal charges and this case mirrors the South Korean genetics researcher that was also recently sentenced for his actions.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 PM

268 posts, read 1,108,447 times
Yes, I have an autistic child.
No, I don't know for sure that any vaccine is related to the onset of autism.

Yes, It is something genetic and "some" environmental variable sets autism off (sort of the PKU)

Do I totally believe in the paper the 100% "rebukes" the study, NO!!

The government is in a panic mode when it comes to public health and the possibility of these "vaccine preventable" diseases coming back.

Anything can be written at anytime by the government (and say what the government WANTS it to say)...

Oh, by the way, I heard it was research with 12 children as subjects.
Is that statistically significant? I doubt it.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
This has been known for years, but there are still parents who refuse to vacinate their children because they are convinced it causes autism.
Maybe not autism, maybe diabetes, asthma, chrohns disease, multiple sclorosis, graves disease, etc, etc.Vaccine Information Resources: Do Vaccines Disable the Immune System?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
The results speak for themselves: Study after study found no link between the vaccine and autism.

Yet dingbats like Jenny McCarthy run around spreading conspiracy theories based on a study that not only has now been proven fraudulent, but never had anything remotely like a significant sample size to begin with!
Why do people that vaccinate keep bringing up Jenny McCarthy, she's just some actor , 99% of people probably don't even know who she is.,or care .She has nothing to do with the good people who've researched, and then researched again to make what they feel is the right choice for them and their own.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Maybe not autism, maybe diabetes, asthma, chrohns disease, multiple sclorosis, graves disease, etc, etc.Vaccine Information Resources: Do Vaccines Disable the Immune System?
From your link:

"The author:Dr. Randal Neustaedter has practiced holistic medicine for more than thirty years in the San Francisco Bay Area, specializing in child health care. He is a licensed acupuncturist and Doctor of Oriental Medicine."

Here is how you get that degree:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_...ntal_Medicine:

All D.A.O.M. curricula require a Master of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine degree for admission. They are 2-2.5 calendar year programs, and involve advanced training that may include integration of western and eastern medical practices.

I cannot find the details on how one gets the "Master" degree.

I think hes hould stick to acupuncture.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:24 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Why do people that vaccinate keep bringing up Jenny McCarthy, she's just some actor , 99% of people probably don't even know who she is.,or care .She has nothing to do with the good people who've researched, and then researched again to make what they feel is the right choice for them and their own.
Because she used her celebrity as a soapbox to promote pseudoscientific nonsense.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autimom4ever View Post
Yes, I have an autistic child.
No, I don't know for sure that any vaccine is related to the onset of autism.

Yes, It is something genetic and "some" environmental variable sets autism off (sort of the PKU)

Do I totally believe in the paper the 100% "rebukes" the study, NO!!

The government is in a panic mode when it comes to public health and the possibility of these "vaccine preventable" diseases coming back.

Anything can be written at anytime by the government (and say what the government WANTS it to say)...

Oh, by the way, I heard it was research with 12 children as subjects.
Is that statistically significant? I doubt it.
HUH?

1) The original study making the claim that vaccines caused autism was the one with only 12 kids in it.

2) That study has been refuted by MANY other independent studies around the world so claims of "government conspiracy" or attempts to portray this as one opposing paper are wrong.

3) There are glaring problems that have come to light concerning the original paper. That includes the undisclosed payment of nearly 700,000 by a group seeking to profit from "proof" of a link between autism and vaccines and has grown to include evidence of falsifying the data. The non-disclosure alone is such an enormous no-no in science as to be damning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health