Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times

Advertisements

I don't know why, but I am totally obsessed and fearful of dying. I keep thinking that I'm going to sleep and won't wake up or that I'll have a blood clot and will die from that.

I think a lot of it has to do with my parents dying when I was young and I have a 12 year old child and am petrified of dying and leaving her without me.

Does anyone else have these fears or thoughts? How do you deal with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I don't know why, but I am totally obsessed and fearful of dying. I keep thinking that I'm going to sleep and won't wake up or that I'll have a blood clot and will die from that.

I think a lot of it has to do with my parents dying when I was young and I have a 12 year old child and am petrified of dying and leaving her without me.

omi--if you die when sleeping you won't know nor care when you pass onto the next life.
If you continue to live your life afraid of death then you aren't living life to the fullest. None of us will get out of this life alive!!!! so just live each day to the fullest and try real hard to stop thinking about death. If it gets too much to handle then maybe a psychiatrist can help you.
I'm gonna send you a Private Message ......

Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Hate to be blunt but you have a certain amount of time to live before you die, you can spend that time having as much fun as possible or you can spend a lot of that time worrying about its final inevitable conclusion,.
What do you think would be the logical course of action in your allotted time?
Try a few sessions with a life coach..

Old 01-24-2011, 04:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
Sometimes I get full of angst because of responsility but that is not good for you. It helps to make sure you have a strategy if something ever does happen because none of us ever know..but making sure you have planned ahead gives you some peace, particularly when you have a child.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:55 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
None of us know when our time will come. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed to anyone. Neither is it quaranteed that a less than real healthy person will die tomorrow.
Some babies die in infancy. Some people live to be 100 yrs old. Or more.
But if a person obsesses about the thought then they can't enjoy what time they have left.
A teenager may die in a car wreck tomorrow. Another one might live for another 80+ years.
If a person hasn't been diagnosed with a terminal illness, and even if they have been, imo they should live life as full as they are capable of living it under the circumstances.
Negative thoughts can bring you down and cause depression and even cause bad health over time. Positive thoughts and future plans give hope. That is what we should strive for.
Life is for the living for as long as we are around. Fearing death is not living. It may even bring it about prematuraly.
I'm 64 yrs old. I know most of my life is behind me and a lot of people die in their 60's. I don't really think about living for decades like I did in my younger years. I have some health problems but most people do at my age.
I still ride a motorcycle. Have for over 40 years. I've never been a hardcore bad*** "biker", I"m just a common, decent person thats likes to ride.
Maybe next summer someome may make a left turn in front of me or whatever and take me out.
Maybe I'll die tomorrow from an unsuspected medical condition. Which ever way it goes there is no use dwelling on death. I intend to dwell on life untill it's gone.
Being alive is a gift. It may last for many years. It may end suddenly. Of course I don't want to die. But I know eventualy it will come. Maybe sooner than later. Or maybe just later.
Worrying about it isn't going to change the fact.
Why don't you just live it. You may live for many years or decades.
Being afraid of death isn't living. It is just existing from one hour or day to the next.
There is nothing wrong with making contingency plans at any age for the worst case secenario. But that is for the unexpected, not the norm. Kinda like a cushion to take care of things just in case.
I really hope you talk to someone who can help you with your fear.
You may be around to see your grandkids become adults and even see great grandchildren.
And I hope you do. And you very well just might do that if you don't worry yourself to an early death.
I wish you well and a long life which you just may have if you live it instead of dwelling on losing it.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:

I bet that you're in your early 30's.

It's perfectly normal at that age to worry about death, especially when children are involved.

Try not to dwell on it.

It will pass.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:

1) Buy life insurance to provide for your daughter if something does happen to you. Get your affairs in order now via trust/wills/guardianships, etc.....

2) Relax and spend time with your daughter now rather than worrying about that which you have no control. If you make a positive impact now on her life and helping her recognize the correct paths there is less for you to worry about for her future.

3) One poster mentioned a life coach. I'd recommend a spiritual counselor. I think if you resolved your fear of the unknown and had some peace in regard to your own mortality you would not be obsessed with such thoughts. Obviously you have some unresolved fear/anger regarding abandonment from the death of your own parents and are projecting that into your worries over your daughter. Just my unprofessional $0.02.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,401 times
Quote:

It sounds to me like you need counseling. It is not healthy to be constantly preoccupied with death.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 AM

198 posts, read 483,399 times
There was an ancient philosopher - I wish I would remember who it was - who put forth what I view as a brilliant argument as to why it is irrational to fear death. The argument goes like this:

- At any point in time, either you exist or your death exists. Never both at the same time.
- If you exist, your death does not exist. It is irrational to fear what doesn't exist.
- If your death exists, you do not exist. Whatever does not exist can't be harmed.
- Therefore, it is irrational at any point to fear death.

I know, I know. Easy to say, hard to put in to practice, especially if you have young children. I would say try not to dwell on that over which you have no control, buy life insurance, and if you have religious or spiritual inclinations, embrace them.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
Quote:

An excessive fear of dying is a phobia. It has a name, thanatophobia. It takes a big toll on a person to live with a phobia like that. Sometimes other psychological issues develop when problems like that are not treated. Your best course of action is what has already been suggested by others here, go get counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health