Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,619,843 times

Advertisements

Yes, It's very hard to deal with, especially if you end up trying to find a care facility for that person. They just don't accept residents with those types of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 07:49 PM

70 posts, read 122,761 times
There are plenty of care facility's for people with dementia. Most places have a separate unit for it.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,473,624 times
And do not overlook the Residential Care Home. I found one for my Mom. Actually, two.

The first one was not a good fit for her mentally as they over medicated her and treated her with no dignity.
They put a bib on her and spoon fed her.
Which is ok if they are that far along stage wise, but she could feed herself without all the extra Ativan!
They also only had stage 7 comatose like patients, so she was bored.
They also used restraints to keep her in a recliner all day positioned in front of the tv where the sun made a glare so my Mom could not see anything on the tv.
They also had her sleep on the floor for safety issues...that place charged $3200/month for a single room. Meds/depends were extra.

She lived there 8 weeks.

I found her a less expensive, smaller care home. The owner called me, as I had signed up at a placement service (free for us) called A place For Mom.

I went for a tour and it seemed really small, but I signed my Mom on and paid a $200.00 deposit. She would have a shared room at $1500.00/month. Last March of 2010 she moved in with my help.

Amazing improvements! The owner got her off Ativan and she was able to eat on her own.
She likes her roommate, the other patients, and she has her own shared flat screen tv in her shared room and a real bed! All but the mattress was provided by the owner. If anyone needs a care home pm me, I do not get anything for referring this place, but I do like to help out others when I can.
She still resides there in between infections.
I pay a small holding fee the month she is not residing there.
People with Dementia get fractures once in a while, and infections (UTI, C-Diff, Celluitis) quite often.
Secondary Insurance is good to have.
My Mom has been in the ER 2 times last year followed by the SNF for rehab for about 8 weeks each time.

Never bring your Loved Ones belonging to these nursing facilities. They lose everything (or steal) I wrote her name on everything, gone. Not all her stuff because I went in and took everything out this last visit.

Let them wear the clothes from the "basement"
These are donated by families of patients who have died.
Don't worry, they are laundered!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:06 AM

70 posts, read 122,761 times
Mugsy, do you know how many stages there are in Dementia? The lady I am taking care of eats her self. Do you know if, when they start to wet at night if that is another stage starting? How about aggression? She bit me and punched me last night. She takes Seroquel. I give her 25 miligrams at night. Is that enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health