Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,766,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
I'm not sure, the social anxiety seems very like what I have. One thing, though, I'm actually a good public speaker, as long as I'm prepared.
At worst you see a psychologist and chat for a while. No harm done. There may be some things you need to work through - nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,049,592 times
Quote:
I really didn't understand the difference between the two.
A psychiatrist prescribes drugs. A psychologist is a therapist that talks to you.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,970,841 times
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a PCP?
Primary Care Physician.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 PM

866 posts, read 1,556,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
At worst you see a psychologist and chat for a while. No harm done. There may be some things you need to work through - nothing wrong with that.
Thats what I was thinking.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Primary Care Physician.
Thanks, I've never heard that term used here in Utah.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,970,841 times
Quote:
Thanks, I've never heard that term used here in Utah.
Hmm, don't know of any other word. Maybe a GP?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Hmm, don't know of any other word. Maybe a GP?
I've usually called them just "doctors" or "physicians," buy I haven't had to go to the doctor more than once a year.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:53 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,294,539 times
Quote:
I really didn't understand the difference between the two. I just meant should I see SOMEONE. I just meant should I see any type of mental health worker.
Therapy can be amazingingly helpful -- can help you learn about yourself, and if you want to change something about yourself, no matter what it is, self-awareness is the first step.

My experience has been that not all therapists (or therapies) are created equal. Every patient is different, I suppose, but it took me a while to figure out that I do best with a therapist who hears what I say and can repeat it back to me, but phrased differently than the way I said it. Sometimes I get stuck in my grooves and it's hard to get UNSTUCK...hard to see it from a different perspective. A good therapist is able to move me out of those grooves, able to help me see an old familiar problem in a different light, from a different angle. That's where my "aha!" moments always come from.

I try to avoid the therapists who don't ENGAGE with me, who are just passive listeners, asking stuff like "how did that make you feel?" I like to think of my best therapists as coaches: they've helped me learn the rules of the game, have identified my skills and helped me develop them, have helped me identify and overcome my weaknesses, have offered encouragement AND corrections.

If you do decide to pursue therapy, leave your preconceived notions at the door, and keep in mind that -- unfortunately -- progress and revelation takes time. The first several sessions will be spent laying the groundwork as you give your therapist your history, and you may begin to feel that you're not really accomplishing anything. Also be aware that sometimes progress is pretty darn uncomfortable! My experience with therapy is that it promotes healing and growth through self-knowledge...and there's a lot of truth in the saying that ignorance is bliss! But there's also a lot of truth in the saying "Change your mind and the rest will follow."

Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I you need to ask......

Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 PM

One thing I forgot to add. When I was in a history class, after being passed back our tests, our teacher told us what the highest score in our class was. When I realized that it was me, I had what sounds like a panic attack. I thought I was going to pass out if people figured out that it was me and looked at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health