Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 PM

866 posts, read 1,556,858 times

Advertisements

I've always been shy, but lately I've been wondering if I have something I need help for. In elementary school, I was shy but managed to have good friends, but in junior high school, when I went to a school away from elementary friends, I didn't make any new friends. I would sit in the library by myself during lunch, and it did not get better. I almost never talk to people unless they talk to me, and I'm always afraid that people are judging me. I've never been on a date, because I'm too afraid to ask a girl out. People seem to like me well enough, but when they talk to me, I end the conversation as soon as possible because I feel so nervous. I have decent social skills when with my few good friends. I read that this might be social anxiety, so I was wondering, do my symptoms sound severe enough to warrant a trip to a psychologist? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 PM

711 posts, read 1,508,304 times
YES..You can commit urself u know. Congratulations on recognizing it so that u can do something about it and improve your quality of life. Good luck

Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,680,317 times
You might just have a lack of self-esteem and low self confidence. Not sure why you'd want to see a psychiatrist for that - they're the ones you go to if you need to have medication prescribed for psychiatric illnesses. You might be better off just taking a public speaking course, or even just getting a part time retail job where your -job- is talking to people. It's a down and dirty method of learning HOW to talk to people - by being thrust into the position and told "be nice, and get paid."

Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,976,136 times
There is a difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist/therapist. The first is an MD who can prescribe meds for social anxiety disorder. The latter cannot. Perhaps you could start off with a therapist and, if recommended, progress to a shrink. Hard to tell. Generally, PCPs are not well versed in this stuff, so stay on the mental health track.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,976,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You might just have a lack of self-esteem and low self confidence. Not sure why you'd want to see a psychiatrist for that - they're the ones you go to if you need to have medication prescribed for psychiatric illnesses. You might be better off just taking a public speaking course, or even just getting a part time retail job where your -job- is talking to people. It's a down and dirty method of learning HOW to talk to people - by being thrust into the position and told "be nice, and get paid."
Social anxiety has a place in the DSM IV. I suggest you research it.

Or better yet, since I am so well versed in this and it takes me five seconds to find it, here you go...

http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/dsm.html

Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
There is a difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist/therapist. The first is an MD who can prescribe meds for social anxiety disorder. The latter cannot. Perhaps you could start off with a therapist and, if recommended, progress to a shrink. Hard to tell. Generally, PCPs are not well versed in this stuff, so stay on the mental health track.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a PCP?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,772,492 times
Agree with other poster - yes - you should see a psychologist, what you describe doesnt seem to require a psychiatrist.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Agree with other poster - yes - you should see a psychologist, what you describe doesnt seem to require a psychiatrist.
I really didn't understand the difference between the two. I just meant should I see SOMEONE. Though your ideas are very helpful, just explaining that I just meant should I see any type of mental health worker.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,680,317 times
Seeing a therapist wouldn't hurt - but you've already said you are capable of having friends, and have had friends, and people seem to like you, but you are shy. This sounds a whole lot more to me like just a lack of self-confidence and not an actual clinical disorder that needs to be treated. I realize there is such a thing as a social anxiety disorder, but what you are describing, doesn't sound like you have a disorder. It sounds like just common variety "I'm shy and need someone to give me a boost so I can assert myself more." And for that, public speaking classes are very effective.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Seeing a therapist wouldn't hurt - but you've already said you are capable of having friends, and have had friends, and people seem to like you, but you are shy. This sounds a whole lot more to me like just a lack of self-confidence and not an actual clinical disorder that needs to be treated. I realize there is such a thing as a social anxiety disorder, but what you are describing, doesn't sound like you have a disorder. It sounds like just common variety "I'm shy and need someone to give me a boost so I can assert myself more." And for that, public speaking classes are very effective.
I'm not sure, the social anxiety seems very like what I have. One thing, though, I'm actually a good public speaker, as long as I'm prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health