Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,234,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Im off Paxil but on Lexapro,which is much better! very few side effects!
i also take lex, with no side effects. other than the fact that i cannot get off the medication now that i want to. ive done long drawn out tapers but still, when it comes time to stop, it is just plain unbearable. currently on 5mg per day, down from 20. i helped me through alot and probably saved my marriage, but now i am handcuffed to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,269,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i also take lex, with no side effects. other than the fact that i cannot get off the medication now that i want to. ive done long drawn out tapers but still, when it comes time to stop, it is just plain unbearable. currently on 5mg per day, down from 20. i helped me through alot and probably saved my marriage, but now i am handcuffed to it.
Unbearable how? Zaps??? How bout using something like Prozac to wean off,since Prozac has LONG 1/2 life,or use benzos while going off,till you can handle it. Im on 10 and might bump to 15,but prob not> I dont know when or if I will come off,,I dont really care at this point,as living with the crappy tinnitus from hell is worse than any AD.

greenchili

Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 AM

36,406 posts, read 16,012,847 times
Quote:
Unbearable how? Zaps??? How bout using something like Prozac to wean off,since Prozac has LONG 1/2 life,or use benzos while going off,till you can handle it. Im on 10 and might bump to 15,but prob not> I dont know when or if I will come off,,I dont really care at this point,as living with the crappy tinnitus from hell is worse than any AD.

greenchili
I'm still on Paxil after several attempts to wean off. The Zaps were horrible and last week I had them while on and had to take extra to get rid of them. My tinnitus is totally from hell, did not think the two were related though.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:

greenchili
the zaps were just the beginning for me. the first time i tried to get off i went cold turkey from 20mg per day. i had no idea there would be withdrawals, never heard of brain zaps. i just started to get these hardcore migraine like headaches along with the zaps. i would get car sick too. it took a few days before i related it to coming off the meds. then after a week or so i started to get really bad mood swings. my wife practically begged me to go back on. i had went nearly 2 weeks and was still having brain zaps. i caved and went back on, then cut to 10 mg and tried to taper again. same withdrawals came with that. so here i am, taking 5mg, not quite ready to try again.

FYI, the mood swings are what made it unbearable for me. the zaps are not fun either, but tolerable compared to the misery.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I started taking paxil because I quit smoking and felt that I needed some "help" to keep me smoke-free... I was on this for 5 months.
Now, I am having side affects from the withdrawal from them.
I have severe headaches, dizziness, slurred speech, etc. just wondering how long its gonna take to get this out of my system, and get back to normal.
He recommended Wellbutrin instead, because I told him I didn`t want the weight gain from paxil. I explained to him that I didn`t really feel that I needed them anymore, because I haven`t smoked a cigarette in 6 months!
I didn`t realize the side affects were going to be so rough.

Go to paxilprogress.org if you want real help. Doctors are clueless how to taper off paxil and other ssri drugs.
You'll get the support you need to successfully taper your paxil. Please do yourself a favor and do NOT substitute paxil with another drug.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Go to paxilprogress.org if you want real help. Doctors are clueless how to taper off paxil and other ssri drugs.
You'll get the support you need to successfully taper your paxil. Please do yourself a favor and do NOT substitute paxil with another drug.
Sometimes it takes another SSRI to help one taper off Paxil. Been there! And done it succesfully...

Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,027 times
Quote:
Sometimes it takes another SSRI to help one taper off Paxil. Been there! And done it succesfully...
This did NOT work for me and it does not work for the vast majority. OP and anyone else out there trying to taper off paxil, I urge you go to paxilprogress.org for the facts.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
This did NOT work for me and it does not work for the vast majority. OP and anyone else out there trying to taper off paxil, I urge you go to paxilprogress.org for the facts.
i wouldnt want to substitute 1 SSRI for another. why fight and struggle with withdrawals for 1 med, only to switch to another. you will eventually have to get off of that med at some point. the only reason i could anyone switching is if you have bad side effects from your current med. that is not the case with me and lexapro. it works fine, i just dont want to take it for the rest of my life. im 31 yrs old.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:44 PM

Well, I take that back,I just weaned off paxil..but continued to have light zaps for a long time. Then my tinnitus became
unbearable so decided to try Lexapro,it worked wonderfully and took the zaps away. Dont plan on getting off Lex
anytime soon. I did not get the Tinnitus from the AD by the way! I got it when I went into menopause. Probably caused
from teenhood loud music,etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 PM

what is the connection between tinnitus and depression?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health