Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 AM

889 posts, read 2,706,661 times

Advertisements

Maybe if you find something that you enjoy doing, like watching old movies or a relaxing hobby (knitting or simple wood working projects,) etc... You will look forward to the free time that you have and be able to relax in it. Best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,991,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I have very little free time everyday and I find it difficult to relax in the little time that's left. Please offer some advice for how I can better relax given my schedule:

Work: 11 hours/day (really should be 9.5 hr/day but I end up having to stay longer than my shift to get everything finished. The less rest I get, the less productive I end up and have to taking more time finishing everything, thus leaving even less time left to rest.)

Commute: 1 hour/day

Sleep: 8 hours/day (Since sleep isn't 100% efficient, actual sleeping hours end up around maybe 7 - 7.5hr/day. I know this may be more than what other people get but I can't function on less than, say 7 hours, period. I literally can't even stand up straight and my vision's blurry for the rest of the day unless I get AT LEAST 7 hours!!!!)

This leaves only 4 hours left everyday. How do I relax?
Start by taking a walk. I know you are exhausted, but exercise will help release endorphins and help you relax. Exercise will also help you sleep better at night, helping you feel more rested when you wake.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,418,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post

If you are only supposed to work 9.5 hours, then you need to stick to that most of the time. Occasionally working late when there is a deadline coming is one thing, but not knowing how to put your work away and come home on time regularly is a problem as much as anything else.
Why do people write as if this is the OP's fault?

We are living in insane times, in a society that has gone back to oppressing more and more people just like they used to do it with factory workers before they got any rights via unionization.

He(she) said he's broke. What part of that you don't understand?
Some people are simply desperate and "bourgeois"-type advice about what is sensible to do health-wise (as in "working less!") is just downright ridiculous as well as callous.

Most people don't work so much out of ambition and dreams of glory. They do it out of desperation; because it is no longer affordable for many to work "sensible hours" as well as survive with dignity.

Most people's misplaced anger should be re-directed up there.
Waaaaay up there.

Political aspects aside, if the OP happens to find a bit of time somehow... soak in a bath as hot as you can stand it, with bath salts in it. Place a lit up candle on the side of the bath where you can stare at it while blocking off any other thought. Sit there and meditate, "let go" of the tension in your muscles gradually, etc. There are good books out there that give you more details on this method of relaxing. It's good.

Massages are fantastic too but unfortunately, they don't apply to broke people unless they find someone to do it for free.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 AM

7,022 posts, read 14,430,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Look, you asked for advice. Sorry if you don't like some of the responses, but what is it going to take to get you to see common sense? A heart attack? A mental break-down?

If you are only supposed to work 9.5 hours, then you need to stick to that most of the time. Occasionally working late when there is a deadline coming is one thing, but not knowing how to put your work away and come home on time regularly is a problem as much as anything else. As you've already noted, you are less efficient when you work more. Make it a point to leave when the clock says it's time. You may find that if you work more efficiently during the allotted time, you can get just as much done.

As others have suggested, maybe you need to move closer to work so that your commute is shorter. That's a lot of time spent in the car and most people find driving stressful.
Not saying whether I like or not like some of the advice here.. most of what I "don't like" just plain don't work! The $1000 100% cure-all therapy for stress is no good for one who can't afford it. Not having a job means being hungry and homeless, how's that gonna help with relaxation?

The purpose of this thread is basic: simple ideas for relaxation that fit my current situation, many of which I might not have thought of at the top of my head.. like bathing, (free) massage, taking a run, etc. I know, these seem a bit common sense to think of, at least for someone who isn't stressed to the breaking point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Why do people write as if this is the OP's fault?

We are living in insane times, in a society that has gone back to oppressing more and more people just like they used to do it with factory workers before they got any rights via unionization.

He(she) said he's broke. What part of that you don't understand?
Some people are simply desperate and "bourgeois"-type advice about what is sensible to do health-wise (as in "working less!") is just downright ridiculous as well as callous.

Most people don't work so much out of ambition and dreams of glory. They do it out of desperation; because it is no longer affordable for many to work "sensible hours" as well as survive with dignity.

Most people's misplaced anger should be re-directed up there.
Waaaaay up there.

Political aspects aside, if the OP happens to find a bit of time somehow... soak in a bath as hot as you can stand it, with bath salts in it. Place a lit up candle on the side of the bath where you can stare at it while blocking off any other thought. Sit there and meditate, "let go" of the tension in your muscles gradually, etc. There are good books out there that give you more details on this method of relaxing. It's good.

Massages are fantastic too but unfortunately, they don't apply to broke people unless they find someone to do it for free.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:18 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,963,021 times
I think the yoga and meditation ideas are good. When you get a day off you might phone or stop by a buddhist temple, they teach meditation classes. Learning the basics from someone that knows a lot about meditation helps in the beginning, especially if very stressed and your mind feels like it never stops. Classes are very cheap, sometimes free. You might look into it.

I also bought a Sota Bio-tuner electronic relaxation system, its about 200 bucks. It does help me relax some and promotes sleep, for me at least. Its just like the Alpha-Stim electronic relaxation machine, but cheaper. There is substantial information on the Alpha-Stim website about the uses of the product. Maybe thats something you can investigate at a later date.

As far as herbs that help one relax, melatonin promotes sleep and is safe to use, i would start with the lowest dosage tablets you can find though, as every one is different as to tolerance. Passion flower relaxes without the extreme sleepy feeling, its a very good herb often used for anxiety and stress. There are many other herbs that are relaxants and/or promote sleep. Have you tried a cup of Chamomile Tea (fresh herbs are better than teabags, i think), a nice warm bath, a good book, and some calming music? As you are stressed out, you might try adding Garlic (it comes in capsules), and Hawthorn Berries, both help circulation and heart health. Both are cheap and can be found even at the walmart. Don't forget a good multivitamin. Watch the caffeine and the fast food, do your best to eat healthy.

In the long run I hope you will be able to change your work situation so it isn't overloading you, as it is now. You have to do what you have to do, I understand that. But we want you to be here tomorrow, so try your best to de-stress. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Started taking St. John's Wort.. now I literally "desire" more stress rather than feeling overwhelmed by the same level of stress..

However, I don't think it has eliminated the "root cause".. I'm still puzzled what's causing my overall tolerance of stress to decline in recent years (things that used to be no big deal in the past began having a higher burden of stress lately.)

Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 PM

324 posts, read 570,891 times
Pop a vicodin and you're on your way.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Pop a vicodin and you're on your way.
Switched St. John's Wort to antihistamine (nothing special, just the generic variety from Target) and it's been working even better so far.. ironically, I started taking it due to minor allergies surfacing in the spring and it seems to treat my stress far more than the actual allergies. We'll see how it goes..

Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,430,601 times
Focus on your breath and nothing else for 10 minutes a day in the morning and at night before going to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health